Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Elephant Man's DNA to be analysed

Still Waters

For over a century scientists have been baffled by what caused the terrible disfigurement of the Elephant Man Joseph Merrick.

But now they will attempt to unlock the secret of his suffering by analysing DNA from his bones - and hope to finally diagnose his condition.

Researchers intend to carry out tests next month to discover, if possible, Merrick's genome sequence which will highlight any gene alteration.

http://www.dailymail...an-society.html

I'm guessing they won't find any Elephant DNA in him at all!

Another famous Crypto case debunked. ;)

• Like 5

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-07-27/elephant-man-disease-caused-by-single-gene-that-may-be-treated-study-says.html

To here those guys tell it,they already know ? But of course they're now linking it to cancer,and have all new drugs cor it .

In any case,I know someone who had a form of this disease. Her growths ,grew inward however .The growths pressed on all her nerves and inner organs .

She slowly went blind,then was wheelchair bound,then bed ridden ....and well...yeah .

She was a sweet lady .

I thought they already did this via hair and his ancestors, and found out all his male ancestors have the same mutation but it only appears as small bumps on their scalps?

Just another study to keep lame scientists employed,rather than use the money for something that is actually worthwhile and helpful .

I agree with king fluffs, I read somewhere that he suffered from a few genetic mutations... cant remember the exact names of them though.

I thought we've been able to sequence genomes for... quite a few years now. And we're just THINKING of doing tests like this NOW?? So what have we been doing up until now then? Found a cure for cancer and AIDS? Or....

I wonder what a 'Google self-diagnosis' would have come up with for him...

I agree with king fluffs

As would any man (well woman in this case) worth his salt!

Edited by Junior Chubb

I heard on TV that they think he had Proteus syndrome, plus neurofibramatosis, possibly.

I read that he was just a right ugly punter. (only saying)

I would have gone for Munter myself...

• Like 1

I would have gone for Munter myself...

I considered it.. but I'm so old I don't know if "munter" is feminine. Decided to stay safe with punter. :)

• Like 1

I read that he was just a right ugly punter. (only saying)

He was evil in his last life so God punished him.

Really, really evil by the look of things

• Like 1

To the heartless idiots, shame on you all for finding one humans sufferance funny. And to "Mr Right Wing" you get what you give and that might be in your "next life".

Edited by sassnnbide
  • Like 1

To the heartless idiots, shame on you all for finding one humans sufferance funny. And to "Mr Right Wing" you get what you give and that might be in your "next life".

Maybe it's not the poor man's "suffering" we're laughing at?

Shame on you for judging!

• Like 1

Maybe it's not the poor man's "suffering" we're laughing at?

Shame on you for judging!

Apologies, Sass... was doing a bit of judging there, myself. I forgot the instructions (pasted to my monitor).

Do not drive, operate machinery, call any exes or post anything on the internet while under the influence!

:)

• Like 1

What exactly do you find funny Eldorado?

"I read that he was just a right ugly punter"

And

"He was evil in his last life so God punished him.

Really, really evil by the look of things"

Had given me the impression you and Mr. Right Wing were refering to Joseph Merrick.

What exactly do you find funny Eldorado?

"I read that he was just a right ugly punter"

And

"He was evil in his last life so God punished him.

Really, really evil by the look of things"

Had given me the impression you and Mr. Right Wing were refering to Joseph Merrick.

Those two comments are, imo, an attempt at humour and an attempt at sarcasm. I doubt Mr Merrick is offended.

If you however believe my post was offensive, hit the report button. See if the Moderation team are as dour-faced and self-righteous as yourself.

• Like 2

I think we all NEED to calm down and not take everything sooooo serious!!!!

Humor is okay...it makes life fun.

Now can we all agree that the font size should stay at 12 please....THAT is NOT funny!! Lol

• Like 1

His life must have been horrible. I'm sure he was an outcast. I thought they already knew the disease that he had. I wonder if the movie "The Elephant Man" is pretty close to the real life of him. Sad either way.

• Like 1