Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Pakistani girl accused of blasphemy

Ashotep

A Christian girl with Down's Syndrome has been arrested on blasphemy charges in Pakistan, accused of burning pages inscribed with verses from the Koran, police and activists said on Sunday.

Police arrested Rimsha, who is recognised by a single name, on Thursday after she was reported holding in public burnt pages which had Islamic text and Koranic verses on them, a police official told AFP.

A conviction for blasphemy is punishable by death in Pakistan.

Down's Syndrome Pakistani girl accused of blasphemy

This is so not right, this is a child. She could get the death penalty and they won't even let her see a lawyer.

I genuinely have no idea how to respond to this post whilst remaining within the rules of the forum.

Some people make it very very easy for me to absolutely detest them, and the mere fact they are alive, and no i'm not talking about that girl.

• Like 2

This is so not right, this is a child. She could get the death penalty and they won't even let her see a lawyer.

here is my take on it.. it is not the childs fault.

While I believe in religious freedom, I understand that this is not MY country we are speaking of and their laws are their laws.

I also believe that if you do not like something in your country you should fight to have it changed. BUT in this case we are speaking of a downs syndrome CHILD. Adults were responsible for her actions. They permitted this and most likely in some way encouraged it in order for her to feel good about doing this.

Those adults should be the ones punished should anyone need to be punished, not the child.

a child, let alone a disabled child, should not be used as a tool for ones agenda where death is the sentence for breaking a law.

a mean thought keeps coming to me. In such a country, i seriously dount a downs syndrome daughter is easily married off, muslim, christian, whatever the faith.. so I have to wonder how easy it was for the family to allow her to do what she did when they KNEW (and do not tell me they did not know, you live in the country.. you know the laws).. that death is a frequent sentence.. well.. you know the thought running through my head.. hrmm.. sorry, I do hate the laws there, but I understand that it is NOT my country, but.. the parents know the laws too... the child.. I feel is being used, and this time, not by the government.

But see, that is just MY personal opinion and I may very well be wrong

Edited by willowdreams
  • Like 2

How can you have tolerance for someone or their ideologies when they have none for others.

• Like 6

While I believe in religious freedom, I understand that this is not MY country we are speaking of and their laws are their laws.

I also believe that if you do not like something in your country you should fight to have it changed. BUT in this case we are speaking of a downs syndrome CHILD. Adults were responsible for her actions. They permitted this and most likely in some way encouraged it in order for her to feel good about doing this.

Those adults should be the ones punished should anyone need to be punished, not the child.

a child, let alone a disabled child, should not be used as a tool for ones agenda where death is the sentence for breaking a law.

a mean thought keeps coming to me. In such a country, i seriously dount a downs syndrome daughter is easily married off, muslim, christian, whatever the faith.. so I have to wonder how easy it was for the family to allow her to do what she did when they KNEW (and do not tell me they did not know, you live in the country.. you know the laws).. that death is a frequent sentence.. well.. you know the thought running through my head.. hrmm.. sorry, I do hate the laws there, but I understand that it is NOT my country, but.. the parents know the laws too... the child.. I feel is being used, and this time, not by the government.

Even if the parents did encourage it I don't see what she did as a big deal. Nothing is said about her enjoying it, she just did it. Just because a country has a law doesn't mean its right or just and this one seems extreme. Thankfully she has some fighting for her there.

Even if the parents did encourage it I don't see what she did as a big deal. Nothing is said about her enjoying it, she just did it. Just because a country has a law doesn't mean its right or just and this one seems extreme. Thankfully she has some fighting for her there.

hey, in my personal opinion, she did not hing wrong! I do not understand the laws they have, i do understand though that it does not matter how horrible *I* think their laws are. It is not my country. I do NOT want their people coming into MY country and telling us what to do. I will not go into theirs and tell them what to do.

I of course will not go there either. I do not like their laws, do not understand their laws and would probably break their laws without even meaning to, due to sheer ignorance on my part, plus not understanding them to begin with. Personally, she didnt do anything wtong, legally in their country? she did.

In my opinion, if that is the case, then it is not her fault, she is a child. more then a child, she is a disadvantaged child.

her parents are responsible for her.

at no point did i say I agree with their laws, but it is NOT my country. If the people do not like hte laws, they can rise up and fight them, I do not htink a child should be used as a tool in this issue.

>>>pallidin burns Koran from outrage over their inhuman practices<<<

• Like 5

It is not my country.

Not yet!

• Like 6

Religion - breeds inhumanity and stupidity where ever it flourishes.

Carl Sagan warned us about a return to the Dark ages - I didn't believe him, but I am now having my doubts.

Br Cornelius

Being disabled, and a child, a minor,how could she subjected to the same charges & penalty as an adult? Rimsha was only 11 to 12 years old when she burnt "burnt pages which had Islamic text and Koranic verses on them", not the book of the Quran. Is she even literate? Was she aware that the pages she was burning had Quoranic verses on them? I doubt that, probably she was just burning paper without a clue of what is written on it!

• Like 1

I can't wait till America takes over the Middle East. :whistle: Seriously, though, this is ridiculous.

so instead of dictators ruling and burning and stonning people as it suits them

we got american pig soliders raping women and forcing men into sodomy with torture and killing in prisons right ?

as if bloody america is better than the current crazy psychos runing middle east now

• Like 2

Such ignorant comments on that site about it though.

Yes it's horirble and the fact she has Down Syndrome should cexcuse this, oh and the fact she is only a teenager.

But the fact is, if these people where Christian.. they would demand the same thing. It's nothing to do with a specific religion, it's completely to do with the people and how they are stuck in the dark ages.

They DO NOT need to be "wiped out" or "policed" or "invaded"... They need to be educated.

Would also like to add that I know "modern" or "westernised" Muslims who would never even think such things. They would never even dream of harming anyone else no matter their beliefs. To brand everyone who beleives the same religion with the same brush is just as ignorant and stupid as religious extremists.

Edited by Coffey
  • Like 4

Where's James Bond 007 when we need him?

Such ignorant comments on that site about it though.

Yes it's horirble and the fact she has Down Syndrome should cexcuse this, oh and the fact she is only a teenager.

But the fact is, if these people where Christian.. they would demand the same thing. It's nothing to do with a specific religion, it's completely to do with the people and how they are stuck in the dark ages.

They DO NOT need to be "wiped out" or "policed" or "invaded"... They need to be educated.

Would also like to add that I know "modern" or "westernised" Muslims who would never even think such things. They would never even dream of harming anyone else no matter their beliefs. To brand everyone who beleives the same religion with the same brush is just as ignorant and stupid as religious extremists.

They have no desire to be educated. They want to DO the educating. And your ideas about what Christians would want make it crystal clear you not only aren't one, you aren't even familiar with one. You're so full of PC bullshirt your eyes must be brown. Pathetic, actually.
  • Like 2

Great minds think alike

Great minds think alike

And to the extent that I'm able, I agree also that it's their custom and should be left to them. but what ever happened to common decency? Humanity? It's not so much the child's condition that's the story for me. It's that ANYONE would be KILLED for burning the paper pages of a book. And that culture is spreading in Europe, not assimilating.
  • Like 3

I realize this is their country and they have the right to run it as they see fit. But what do they think this looks like to the rest of the world arresting a mentally disabled child for something she probably doesn't even understand. It doesn't sound like this was the Koran just paper with verses on them.

I don't think they want to assimilate they want everyone else to.

If this were christians or any religion doing this I would be just as disgusted by it like I was when the monks were running around killing muslims.

And to the extent that I'm able, I agree also that it's their custom and should be left to them. but what ever happened to common decency? Humanity? It's not so much the child's condition that's the story for me. It's that ANYONE would be KILLED for burning the paper pages of a book. And that culture is spreading in Europe, not assimilating.

Now see, here I agree with you. I do not agree nor would I ever agree that we should go to their country and demand changes, that is their country. SHOULD for some odd reason I move there, I would never expect them to change rules/laws in order for me to be happy living there, if I choose to live there, then so be it, I must obey the laws there.

Should they leave their country or visit another country for any reason, same rules apply, they must accept the laws of the land they are in, or stay out.

NOW, as to common humanity, easy. (easy to say what to do, harder to get anyone to do it). Stop helping/supporting them 100%

if they want to be a land unto themselves, then allow it. Pull out, get out, stay out. Do not purchase anything from them, do not allow anyone from our country to visit them for tourism or any ism, period. No job outsourcing not nothing no way no how. They support themselves 100%. If they need help, and ask why no other country will help them, say so, then leave it up to them to decide if they want to change in order to progress in every other way. remember if we do not go there, or deal with them, we do not SELL ANYTHING or TRADE with them either.

They get nada from every country who does not agree with them, period.

Easy to so, not easy to do, but that would be our right. We do not go there to change them, they are not permitted to change us, but we do not have to 'associate' with them in any way shape or form. Period.

I do feel sorry for those who would like our help, but at the same time, we are barely helping ourselves and there are others who would like our help who do not have such laws that horrify us. It is up to them to do the changing depending on how much they want to get from everyone else. *shrugs*

In a weird way, I suppose I am saying.. everyone can be bought, even religious extremist.. if they want stuff from other countries bad enough.

If not, then ok.. so be it, they are better then we are to survive without outside help.

• Like 2

I realize this is their country and they have the right to run it as they see fit. But what do they think this looks like to the rest of the world arresting a mentally disabled child for something she probably doesn't even understand. It doesn't sound like this was the Koran just paper with verses on them.

I don't think they want to assimilate they want everyone else to.

If this were christians or any religion doing this I would be just as disgusted by it like I was when the monks were running around killing muslims.

and we do things that they are disgusted by. Though we cannot understand why they would be so upset with us. Do you want them coming into your face saying 'you are wrong, you are going to hell, Allah says we much kill you if you do not convert'?

Really, seriously, I agree with what yo uare saying, but if you want that countries laws out of your home, stay out of theirs.

keep in mind I agree with everyone, this is a horrible horrible thing, I hate what is happening there. It makes me feel ill inside.

But unless you want to give them the right to come to your home and force you to obey their ways, you cannot go to their homes and force them to obey your ways.

See, when a door opens.. people go in both ways.

• Like 1

so instead of dictators ruling and burning and stonning people as it suits them

we got american pig soliders raping women and forcing men into sodomy with torture and killing in prisons right ?

as if bloody america is better than the current crazy psychos runing middle east now

All hail the one that loves freedom and democracy!!!! :td: :td: :td:

• Like 2

and we do things that they are disgusted by. Though we cannot understand why they would be so upset with us. Do you want them coming into your face saying 'you are wrong, you are going to hell, Allah says we much kill you if you do not convert'?

Really, seriously, I agree with what yo uare saying, but if you want that countries laws out of your home, stay out of theirs.

keep in mind I agree with everyone, this is a horrible horrible thing, I hate what is happening there. It makes me feel ill inside.

But unless you want to give them the right to come to your home and force you to obey their ways, you cannot go to their homes and force them to obey your ways.

See, when a door opens.. people go in both ways.

Where I disagree and I won't go far off topic.... is that they ARE coming here, they ARE demanding that we change...etc. That's part of the reason for the animosity. As long as the barrier you speak of could be a real one I'd say you're completely correct. An example is that no Bibles are even ALLOWED in S.A. Jail time or expulsion. They don't assimilate but they DO immigrate - in large numbers.

Where I disagree and I won't go far off topic.... is that they ARE coming here, they ARE demanding that we change...etc. That's part of the reason for the animosity. As long as the barrier you speak of could be a real one I'd say you're completely correct. An example is that no Bibles are even ALLOWED in S.A. Jail time or expulsion. They don't assimilate but they DO immigrate - in large numbers.

and we do not have to permit this. I do not like saying.. keep people out.. for medical purposes and educational purposes, I see the good in immigration, for sheer influence it can be good, however.. you should always have to obey the countries laws, we should not change our laws do to them coming here.

They should not change their laws because we go there.

It is not their fault that our government is brown nosers and changes things to kiss pples butts.

But our government can take a shower and wash the crap off their face and keep it off.. if they really tried.

And Willow, get that damn bug off my screen. :passifier:

Edited by pallidin