Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Women don't get pregnant from rape

Ashotep

Rep. Todd Akin, the Republican Senate nominee in Missouri, claimed in a TV interview this weekend that women who are ‘legitimate’ victims of rape do not get pregnant because their bodies somehow prevent that from happening.

GOP Senate nominee: Women don’t get pregnant from ‘legitimate’ rapes

Better hope he doesn't get elected. He's against federal school lunch programs and the morning after pill plus there is no reason for you to get an abortion not even to save your life. Check out some of the links in the article.

On the left hand we have "if you have a business, you didn't build it". On the right (I hope this man is not typical of the right) we have, "if you are a legitimate victim of rape (I wonder what an illegitimate victim of rape would be like) you won't get pregnant." Hmmmmmm. I wonder if they are accepting citizenship applications in Finland.

• Like 2

On the left hand we have "if you have a business, you didn't build it".

That's not what he said. He is clearly referring to infrastructure.

Let's go to the transcript. Here's what the president said on July 13:

"Look, if you've been successful, you didn't get there on your own. You didn't get there on your own. I'm always struck by people who think, well, it must be because I was just so smart. There are a lot of smart people out there. It must be because I worked harder than everybody else. Let me tell you something -- there are a whole bunch of hardworking people out there.

If you were successful, somebody along the line gave you some help. There was a great teacher somewhere in your life. Somebody helped to create this unbelievable American system that we have that allowed you to thrive. Somebody invested in roads and bridges. If you've got a business -- you didn't build that. Somebody else made that happen. The Internet didn't get invented on its own. Government research created the Internet so that all the companies could make money off the Internet."

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-57478808-503544/unpacking-the-you-didnt-build-that-debate/
  • Like 3

Right because ovaries know the difference between consensual and non-consensual sex.

Clearly this man has no idea how the human body really works. I bet he p***ed off a LOT of women who became pregnant from rape... idiot...

• Like 6

I can't believe he has managed to rise to such a place in life that he can actually compete for such high office. Such stupidity normally gets "culled" before then...what a piece of work...all bad.

• Like 4

Is irretrievable stupidity a required qualification for a job as a Republican senator........or is it just a desirable one?

• Like 3

"...if it’s a legitimate rape" - Akin

As opposed to an "illegitimate rape", or a "fake rape"?! Based on the recommends to facebook (656 so far) in less than a day on one media outlet, I'd say his candidacy is dead in the water, for good reason.

• Like 5

And you thought Dan Quayle came up with some screamers ! :w00t:

• Like 1

That's not what he said. He is clearly referring to infrastructure.

That may well be, but it still seems awfully denigrating towards the accomplishments of business owners and even arrogant towards them, and I think a lot of them picked up on that arrogance, that's why his statement "you didn't build that" has met with such derision and ridicule. Also I think many resented his implication that business builders are soooooo indebted to the government, which is carried on the backs of...you guessed it...taxpayers (including business owners). Sorry for digressing from the OP though.

• Like 2

Is irretrievable stupidity a required qualification for a job as a Republican senator........or is it just a desirable one?

A fail THIS epic is outside party affiliation Arbenol68. This is TROGLODYTE territory.
  • Like 4

A fail THIS epic is outside party affiliation Arbenol68. This is TROGLODYTE territory.

I'll accept that. But I have to wonder, when I hear the way many Republicans talk about birth control and their attitude towards a lot of women, whether his view is shared by a good many of them. Only he was extra stupid and said it out loud.

• Like 1

I'll accept that. But I have to wonder, when I hear the way many Republicans talk about birth control and their attitude towards a lot of women, whether his view is shared by a good many of them. Only he was extra stupid and said it out loud.

No way to know for sure what resides in a man's heart I guess... but this kind of thinking is so far beyond the pale as to make any man who ever even had a mother get p***ed off. I've voted Republican and lived in the "Deep South" (read - racist, redneck country) all my life and I have never heard a man say such things openly. I'm sure they're out there - this guy is proof of that - but common? NOPE!

That may well be, but it still seems awfully denigrating towards the accomplishments of business owners and even arrogant towards them, and I think a lot of them picked up on that arrogance, that's why his statement "you didn't build that" has met with such derision and ridicule. Also I think many resented his implication that business builders are soooooo indebted to the government, which is carried on the backs of...you guessed it...taxpayers (including business owners). Sorry for digressing from the OP though.

Again that's not what he said. He was not denigrating anyone. Nor was that arrogance (a racist dog whistle). He was saying clearly that we all built the infrastructure that business works on. They are not responsible on their own. They are indebted to US not government. The fact that Republicans can't read or see this in plain english is more about them than Obama.

• Like 1

And the world is flat...lol what an idiot! Where do these people come from?!!!

the Republican Senate nominee in Missouri

• Like 1

Unbelievable. So basically, if a woman files a rape charge on her offender- finds out she's pregnant immediately after the rape then appears in court to prosicute- The case would be dropped because she's pregnant therefore the rape did not occur.

What sort of insanity is this.

• Like 3

There exist some real morons in politics. And I thought George Bush was bad.

• Like 2

I'm from Missouri and I'm scared to death they will elect this moron and people in other states will elect morons just like him. We need to move forward not backward.

Edited by Hilander
  • Like 1

Why can't I help myself to think that this is part of the GOP war against women?

• Like 3

I really have to wonder which doctors he supposedly talked to about this. Or if their doctorate title was in medicine or not.

• Like 2

We have a guy running in NY who says people don't die from breast and colon cancer. Can you guess what party he's from? ...Ill give you a hint...starts with GOP...

• Like 2

our educational system must really be failing us. Why dont people with phd's hold office?

• Like 2