Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

‘The lone person in the wilderness’

questionmark

BOSTON — In the back office of his Weston, Mass., headquarters a quarter-­century ago, Mitt Romney, the chief Mormon authority in the Boston area, told the leader of his Spanish-speaking congregation that he would not directly pay for lawyers to help the growing number of illegal immigrants in his church. Then he carefully instructed his subordinate on how to circumvent the Mormon Church’s new hard line against such assistance and subsidize their legal aide.

“In those issues I cannot help you financially to pay for lawyers,” Romney said, according to Jose Francisco Anleu, a Guatemalan immigrant. “But what I can do is allow you to give them food assistance from the bishop’s warehouse,” a church welfare pantry. The money saved could be used to “pay lawyers.” He reminded Anleu that he could use church funds to cover rent, utilities and health care for his needy members. The money came from Anleu’s budget, but, as Anleu noted decades later, it was a budget sustained by Romney’s office.

Read more

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sir Wearer of Hats

• questionmark

• Ashotep

• Pyridium

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

And people wonder why Obama is ahead of Romney.

Release your tax returns Romney and prove to us you paid taxes on all your money in your off shore accounts.

Ohh he's a rebel with a heart, isn't that nice to know.

I give it a week before we find out that Obama, as a law student, was giving pro bono aid to people who needed it even before he passed his bar exam.

Basically, it's anything to talk about except the things that matter.

At least we know that the world is indeed becoming globalised, as that's what politics in Australia looks like every damn day.

OMG. We will become a Mormon nation! OMG!...we're all gunna die!!!

But that's okay, when Mormons die they get to be like God and make planets and fill them with people!

I for one can't wait to make to be Maker of Hats.