Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

When tattoos don't turn out quite as planned

Still Waters

Asian character tattoos have long been in style, with millions of brooding youths, aging hippies and pseudo-intellectuals seeking to express their world view via a couple of exotic-looking symbols etched into their skin.

But many of the body art enthusiasts with a taste for the ‘Orient’ do not bother to research what is it exactly they are having permanently inked on their ankle or lower back, to disastrous - and hilarious - results.

http://www.dailymail...te-planned.html

• Like 1

Haha, I gave up learning to speak Mandarin Chinese, so those don't mean anything to me. If you can't read the characters, the meaning probably won't bother you very much :)

Well the Asian ones aren't going to be as obviously wrong to many people, unless they know the language. The ones more obvious are the spelling errors that can never be undone. At least not without an expensive procedure. I remember seeing a story on Yahoo (I think) about a woman who wanted to commemorate her time as a torch bearer for this year's Olympics. Only the tattoo stated it was the Oylmpics. LOL

Chuckle.. I usually assume most people with those kinds of tats are, um, misspoken. This comes from knowing people fluent in other languages and the way they laugh their butts off at the tats. I think in general a person should really know the language, or have a person they really trust that knows the language if they are going to get words inked onto themselves.

Edited by rashore
  • Like 2

You know I think recall somebody one time getting a bunch of random chinese symbols tattooed on their calf and didn't worry too much about what it said, because overall it was just cool as far as this individual was concern. Until somebody one day translated it for that individual, in which it said "Made in China". The individual wasn't Asian descent.

Edit: Forgot this but also the individual was hoping it said something unique at the time, but in a spiritual sense.

Edited by Purifier

We had a young lady show up here at work one day with a brand new tattoo that wrapped all around her neck and throat and down her 'front'... It was what they call a 'Tribal' pattern...

A guy in our shop asked her what it was and she said "Oh... It's tribal"

Since we live in Oklahoma - which had many real tribes living here he asked "Which Tribe? It doesn't look Cherokee or Kiowa and I'm a Choctaw so I know it's not ours..."

She didn't much like that...

Edited by Taun
  • Like 2

Brilliant!

It's sort of like the Asians wearing shirts that have American writing on them that make no sense but less permanent.

yeah, don't know why anyone would get a tat inked on if they have no relation to that language.

It's sort of like the Asians wearing shirts that have American writing on them that make no sense but less permanent.

When I was stationed in Japan I used to get a chuckle reading some of the English on their shirts and hand bags, etc...

It seemed like they just threw a couple words together...

One I remember had the words "Apple Love" on it, one above the other...

Sometimes you just have to shrug and try not to laugh...

I suppose that's what you get for using the "taking someone's word for it" approach to a message in a foreign language you cannot read.

Always triple check kanji meanings ,before putting it on your body .duh

• Like 1

Oh my god,those are hilarious.

The one with the woman holding the tree,its representative of the five elements ,so its understandable,if you ...well know the five elements,but the lines should be connected to say wood,or tree. Wow... Huge fail