Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Your 'on line' and 'off line' personality

Lilly

I am very anti-social off-line. I really hate communicating with people. I guess I don't really know how to? Maybe I'm slightly socially awkward. I don't know. I can never be bothered to talk. Talking online is always easier, people offline get on my nerves.

• Like 1

I really don't say much in real life and if I do I don't tend to express my views much.

Online I suppose I speak my mind more..slightly. I do not feel obligated to agree or if I am so inclined, will debate. I don't know...in real life I just keep to myself.

When it is just a text-based conversation then I suppose it seems different because it seems we are allowed a bit more verbal freedom.

Offline I am fairly quiet, and will nod and shrug off or change the subject if an argument develops.

Online I am completely willing to engage something to its fullest. I have time to think about what I am saying so I am able to articulate what I mean a whole lot better.

Which is funny because I have three personalities. Online, in person, at work teaching. In person as mentioned I am quiet I ask a lot of questions and generally am a listener and generally refuse to talk about religion or politics. online I am very outspoken and opinionated, at work I am an alpha leader ( I have to be) . It's a complete character shift. It's so pronounced that my students the see me in the community barely recognize me. I can stand behind people I have known for years in line at the grocery store, and they never notice notice me.

• Like 1

I'm who I am online and offline. I wouldn't want to be anyone else. lol I don't really care what people think of me. It's a waste of time trying to be someone else.. I don't get the point anyway, because you're just going to lose meaningful relationships pretending to be someone you're not.

• Like 1

I'm exactly the same online and off .. and my avatar is how i really look.

Actually , i am sort of the same online or off i think. But it's a very interesting question , and there have been very interesting answers! I think it's fascinating how we tend to construct personalities for online acquaintances .. and mental images of our appearances.. and how, some people's personalities seem to shine through the text ! I just sound old and ornery.. which is accurate!

I communicate with people slightly more online. I dont really speak with anyone other than my son and my parents in real life. Sometimes I might briefly speak with my sons teachers or people I'm buying things from in the shop but generally I avoid people. I try limit my words in face to face communication because I feel awkward and I can give a wrong impression. So I'm different online because I can take my time to try word things better(thats right, this is as good at it gets! lol). So when I speak face to face I go into panic mode, where online I dont.

I think I also joke around more offline. Online I tend to not bother posting for just a quick laugh. So I might come across as more serious but at home I'm always having a laugh with my kid.

When I'm online I find it's easy to socialize. Members find me easygoing and approachable.

When offline and I meet people in person, they tend to scream in terror and flee in fear.

Seriously, I feel I am much the same on or offline.

Edited by synchronomy
  • Like 3

I'm gonna be honest, I am almost the same online and offline, but the interests I have such as UFOs and my music etc, I don't share with people offline. Most offline friends don't know that side of me. My friends may not be very much like me, but I tend to get along, better than I used to when I was a kid. I got responsibilities now, and it involves being able to deal with real people, rude people, annoying people, but I have to do it.

I know this is a little strange, but I don't really take conversations online seriously until I see the person's face. Just having a chat/conversation with some profile with a master chief or darth vader avatar without knowing their face, doesn't feel meaningful to me. anyone else like that? (Heck, even I hide my face).

I'm gonna be honest, I am almost the same online and offline, but the interests I have such as UFOs and my music etc, I don't share with people offline. Most offline friends don't know that side of me. My friends may not be very much like me, but I tend to get along, better than I used to when I was a kid. I got responsibilities now, and it involves being able to deal with real people, rude people, annoying people, but I have to do it.

I know this is a little strange, but I don't really take conversations online seriously until I see the person's face. Just having a chat/conversation with some profile with a master chief or darth vader avatar without knowing their face, doesn't feel meaningful to me. anyone else like that? (Heck, even I hide my face).

indeed, I think thaT'S just it. Tell people that you're interested in UFOs or Bigfoot (say) and they might look at you slightly askance.

I notice a few folk saying they are more quiet offline, I am too.

To me it is because on line, what I write is what you read and if you misinterpret it - I get to correct that and keep things on track. Basically, I can say what I mean and people can't pretend or insist I meant something else because it suits them to see me their way.

Offline, it seems words are so loaded with some people, I can barely get past a first sentence without being misrepresented/misunderstood and then can't get a word in edge wise to correct the wrong impression. Maybe I am a bad reader of people, or haved trusted people who haven't got my best interests at heart when I share my thoughts and paid the price, so once bitten, twice shy, haven't figured a way past all that, must be way too sensitive me thinks.

• Like 4

For awhile I've been thinking about how people's personalities can be very different when they're on line (in discussion forums and chat rooms) verses how they behave in 'real life'. I know that I have marked differences in my personality. In real life I'm far more introverted, less likely to offer my opinion, generally keep to myself (especially in public). However, when offered the anonymity of on line expression I become far more outgoing and willing to engage with others. Does anyone else feel that their personality differs depending upon the medium they are using?

I think I'm about the same, in person and through the strange cyber filter we all view each other here.

I have always enjoyed conversation with strangers. It's changed a bit these days, but that was always one of the fun parts of flying the airlines. Today people seem much more introverted, and the ubiquitous 'smart phone' has added to that phenomenon.

It's still fun to sit down at a bar and engage in good conversation, and it's fun to do the same online.

In real life I'm far more introverted, less likely to offer my opinion, generally keep to myself (especially in public). However, when offered the anonymity of on line expression I become far more outgoing and willing to engage with others. Does anyone else feel that their personality differs depending upon the medium they are using?

Hi,

It also depends on one's social standing and socialization/defense mechanism. I'm more reserved in (general) public (watch, listen, and assess), but with colleagues, family, friends, and online, I'm out there. Club atmosphere (as in underground dance clubs/bars) is work, not a public setting for me. When I have a goal or focus, I'm an extrovert.

Peace.

Edited by braveone2u
  • Like 1

today i noticed a few members having a p*ssing contest in another thread all about their achievements and intellectual levels.

i wondered if they actually go around cramming that crap into people's faces in their every day life.

• Like 1

I think that my personality has different layers. There's a polite, professional if impersonal layer on top. Deeper down is a more rebellious and stubborn layer, cynical and tough. The sweet and gentle layer is the core and center.

• Like 1

Good topic! Online I tend to be more calm headed. I tend to discuss things more openly as in person I would rather sit and think about what is on my mind. I've had many discussions here where if I were speaking face to face with someone, one of us would be bloodied up a bit. I guess I am the opposite of most people. Online I try to not be a short tempered person while offline I tend to let my hands fly if I feel disrespected.

I'm usually more careful about the things I say, online, because you have to assume, once it's out there for the public, that it's out there, forever.

Offline in the "real world", I flirt more, joke more, talk about my views about society alot more, etc.

I'm the same offline as I am online, no matter the forum. What i like about the forum's online however is that I can engage in conversation about things with people without actually having to talk to them...not because I'm shy or anything (I used to be terribly) but just because I don't like people in general, that is a non-confrontational way that isn't personal, just don't...ya diggit? :tu:

• Like 1

One thing that absolutely does not happen with me is losing my temper online, and engaging in 'arguments' or 'fights', jeez, people take these things a little too personally, I know that real emotions and people are involved, but still.

I just have to smirk when people reply the way they do, if you disagree with their views, they often reply like you made a bad joke about their mom or something. It really confuses me.

Online I try to not be a short tempered person while offline I tend to let my hands fly if I feel disrespected.

I used to be like that, but it's not worth just beating up people who disrespect you, especially when that person won't really affect your life's outcome in the long run. If it's just some guy who cut in front of you in a queue or said something to you or something small like that, I see a lot of people go into 'teach him a lesson' mode, even though he/she won't see that guy in their lifetime ever again. What do they get out of the whole ordeal? Just personal satisfaction maybe, but nothing else.