Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Did a Witch give me a Familiar?

s33ker

I live on property in the mountains of Qld , there's mice. Got a number of a board at the market for free kitten, rang up ,lady said she would bring him (kitten) to me. She arrived gave me the kitten (she would be about 65yrs old) and asked me what I was gunna call him. I said (because he was black) something Warlock-ey and she said I,m a practising Wicca (or wiccan) and this cat is a familiar cause every time she works or reads her cards (I have no idea what she meant) the kitten would jump on them and push them around. I said O.kayyyy thanks for the kitten and she left.The kitten I named Shadow ,7 weeks (now 10wk)old not once did he cry for mum. The other night i was laying on my back having trouble meditating in a dark room. Couldn,t keep right eye closed and was having trouble with my breathing. Shadow jumped on my chest and put one paw on my opened eye and the other on my mouth forcing me to breath with my nose and my problem ceased. When I kneal down to pick something up he springs on my back and tries to drape himself around my shoulders but he is too short so he just hangs over my left shoulder and would stay there all day if i let him, but the most disturbing thing he does is when I am asleep he licks my nose and sticks his tongue up my nostril and presses his mouth on mine like a kiss. What the frig is a familiar?

I have never owned a cat who wants to lick me so much or adore me like this, he will not go near anyone else in the house.Familiar or retarded? Any ideas?

• Like 2

It's a kitten, exploring it's Mama (you). Babies do it too... fingers up your nose, slavering all over your face etc. lol

(In my humble opinion)

Welcome to UM! :)

Edited by Eldorado
  • Like 4

All of that is normal kitten behavior. I just raised and sent 3 off and they all shoved noses and tongues up my nose, pawed at my face or placed paws on my face while I was laying around. Kittens are also notorious for wanting to be shoulder cats. They like the height.

Nothing mysterious here. You have a kitten.

• Like 2

Be honored, you have been picked by a kitty cat. They are right, all that is normal kitty behavior, even the cards. A familiar is more than a pet, they are more like an alert dog (cat, bird, whatever works). A familiar relationship develops over time. Give you kitty sometime, you will know if it is what the lady said it was.

Please spay/neuter, it won't affect your relationship with your cat and it is so much better for them.

• Like 2

I think at such a young age, the kitten's actions are that of any normal kitten, despite what she claimed about the cards. It is curious, plain and simple No one can decide right away whether an animal is going to be a familiar or not. As Darkwind stated, it's something that develops over time and you can't force it.

Edited by Lady Kasey
  • Like 2

I've had cats and kittens all my life. You have a kitten. One of my black cat's name was Shadow, also. He wouldn't go near anyone but me. When I wasn't around he would hide in the closet. Every time a stranger would come in the house, he'd run into his closet.

Every cat has its own personality. Sounds like you have a very sweet kitten. Enjoy him!! Oh, and remember to get him neutered as soon as he's old enough to keep him that sweet.

• Like 2

Forgot to say that one of my dogs pokes her tongue up my nose if I'm not careful. I'm seriously considering renaming her Booger.

• Like 2

You should write a book about it. Where you have adventures and meet other familairs and meet frank, the toothless vampire, the big ole softy.

I'm serious, Write it or I will.

• Like 1

My Ptolemy chose me .You always end up with the animal you're supposed to have with you .That's my experience at least .

• Like 2

A few cents..

If the lady said she was a practicing Wiccian, that does not necessarily mean she was a witch. Not all Wiccians also claim witchhood. Not all witches claim to be Wiccian, or even pagan- some claim other faiths including monotheistic ones, and there's even an atheist or two out there that claim witchery as well.

Familiars span across different faiths and, er, magical practices. In general, they help you with your spellwork, or keep an eye on things you might not be keeping an eye on. And I say spellwork to include stuff like meditation, divination, or whatever ritual stuff suits your fancy. In general it's a pet, most commonly a cat, most common of cats is a black cat. Dogs are noted too, more often working class dogs, more often in a protector capacity. Pet birds are most commonly either eyes or messengers.

Among wild animals are reptiles, spiders, birds, and whatever else are the top three most common local animals that are feared, reviled, or happen to show up most in the old lady down the lane's yard.

From the blunt no fun side.. You called a local number for a kitty, and the gal offered to drop it off. I'm willing to guess because she wanted to check out the place before she gave the kitten over. When you said a warlock-y kind of name for the kitten, she probably felt it was ok to speak freely about that kind of subject.

Oh yes of course, a familiar.

As above poster mentions, that cat is there to help you. ... indirectly by jumping you and putting it's paws in your nose.

Keep your eye out for "signs". The cat is probably trying to tell you to get an alarm clock so you wake up at a decent hour.

Listen to the kitten.

• Like 1

I Have 3 Cats And None Of Them Ever Did Anything Similar .. So Are My Cat Weirdos? :cat:

I thought that if you believe in that sort of thing then familiars are granted to those who serve certain supernatural creatures as go-betweens?

I don't think they are transferable as they are not 'really' the animal that they resemble in the first place, rather a minor demon, supernatural creature or 'splinter' avatar.

Edited by Atlantia
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

thank you all belaterly that is, but have been writing book about it as Brian suggested.Shadow went missing awhile ago but returned very skinny and covered in ticks .

Now he is recovered. He,s testicles are still on him and will remain so until he dies.

I try not to interfer with nature too much and spreading he,s seed, wandering and fighting is what cats do.

• Like 1

My cats work in IT as they are always jumping on my laptop and nosing around.

• Like 2