Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Little Slaughterhouse On The Prairie:

Still Waters

With its gentle drama and quaint childhood adventures, Little House On The Prairie painted a picture of wholesome family life in 19th century Midwest America.

Set in the God-fearing town of Independence, Kansas, plotlines rarely ventured beyond the realms of Sunday School and town gossip and real trouble meant somebody being late for dinner.

But behind these tales of youthful innocence that brought fame to the town across the world, lurks a ghoulish story of real-life abduction and serial killing that author Laura Ingalls Wilder neglected to mention.

Some 17 miles south of Independence, the township of Osage became the scene of a brutal campaign of murder by a family that became known as the Bloody Benders.

http://www.dailymail...dy-Benders.html

• Like 1

Well, thanks for ruining that memory of childhood innocence. StillWaters, that wasn't directed at you, just at fate in general I guess.

Yeah, this is an interesting one... I love it when a haunt has a serious true crime behind it. I know that sounds morbid, but there are so many foundless ghost stories out there.

It's also interesting because it's one of the crimes that jockeys for the "first serial killer" category. I would disagree since the Harpe brothers were prior to this family. There were actually a few sick puppies in the 1800's. Seems like most of them were into thieving and killing their victims more than the joy of murder itself.

It is a horrific tale that I haven't thought of in a while.

• Like 1

It does happen! I worked a case in a rural area (classified) that involved a diner serving human steaks. I had to collect meat out of the walk-in fridge for DNA testing. The FBI swooped in immediately and took over the case. That's all I can disclose about that

Eeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwwwww. Nasty! Dx

Sorry but the headline about LHOTP is that Little Laura Ingalls grew up and married Captain Sheridan from Babylon 5!!!

Talk about OMG! ;)

It does happen! I worked a case in a rural area (classified) that involved a diner serving human steaks. I had to collect meat out of the walk-in fridge for DNA testing. The FBI swooped in immediately and took over the case. That's all I can disclose about that

And did it taste like Chicken?

Edited by Atlantia

And did it taste like Chicken?

I read somewhere humans tastelike pork. After that, I can no longer eat pork. Just the thought, I guess.

Yes, we all know it happens now and it did back when LIW was growing up, but considering the books are aimed at children I hardly consider slaughtering of people to be worthy of appearing in a children's book series. :angry: :angry: :angry:Blatant sensationalism if you ask me.

Yes, we all know it happens now and it did back when LIW was growing up, but considering the books are aimed at children I hardly consider slaughtering of people to be worthy of appearing in a children's book series. :angry: :angry: :angry:Blatant sensationalism if you ask me.

It never bothered the Brothers Grimm... Have you ever read some of the original versions of those fairy tales?... WOW!

• Like 1

Yes, I have, thanks. I still believe it's wrong and that the story was attached to Laura Ingalls-Wilder for sensationalistic purposes only. She had no contact with the Benders so why should they appear in her stories? Solely based on the fact that they lived not far from where she grew up?

Yes, I have, thanks. I still believe it's wrong and that the story was attached to Laura Ingalls-Wilder for sensationalistic purposes only. She had no contact with the Benders so why should they appear in her stories? Solely based on the fact that they lived not far from where she grew up?

Oh I agree completely that Laura's books were much better the way the are... Just pointing out that 'sanitized' versions of childrens stories are actually a rather recent 'fad'....

Edited by Taun

I think maybe the sensationalists don't know of the differences between "serial-killers", "spree killers" and "mass murderers".

*smiley who wishes JVE was here to explain it all*

Edited by Eldorado
  • Like 1

I think maybe the sensationalists don't know of the differences between "serial-killers", "spree killers" and "mass murderers".

Heh, I just had the same notion of missing JVE in another thread about serial, spree, and mass.

And just as a side note. Laura Ingalls supposedly was not living in Kansas anymore by the time the Benders started. They moved from Kansas in 1870 when Laura was 3, and were living in Wisconsin at the time of the killings.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

i know what you mean El, the true crime forum isnt the same without JVE. i dont think of people like this as serial killers. these people did it for monitary gain. in my opinion a serial killers primary motive is not financial but usualy much deeper and darker
  • Like 1

I read somewhere humans tastelike pork. After that, I can no longer eat pork. Just the thought, I guess.

You must have heard that by stories about the Fiji Islands and Papua New Guinea.

I once had the 'pleasure' to eat monkey. It was in the Peruvian jungle. We were invited to dinner, and I'll never forget the sight: a monkey lying in some camp fire. At first it looked like they were burning a baby, but then I noticed the long tail.

OK, so we started eating, me having the image of a baby inside my head....

But, truth be told, it did taste good. Like pork.

• Like 1