Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

[Merged] California firm develop 'hover bike'

Saru

The Aerofex hover vehicle resembles the speeder bikes from the movie 'Star Wars: Return of the Jedi'.

A resurrected hover vehicle won't fly through dense forests as effortlessly as the "Star Wars" speeder bikes from "Return of the Jedi," but its intuitive controls could someday allow anyone to fly it without pilot training.

arrow3.gifRead more...

That's awesome. My childhood dream will hopefully come true soon.

• Like 1

Now here's what they don't tell you.

It's so close to the ground that the pilot or anyone near will be sandblasted.

Notice how it's being testend on a dry, sand free desert lake bed? Imagine that thing hovering atop a sand dune!

Or rough terrain. I don't think I'll ever be more than a toy.

Looks pretty bulky

I want one.

This can go on the list along with jetpacks and flying saucers.

Awesome stuff,I would love one sat next to my ATV.....

Looks like a converted ride-on lawnmower.

In aeronautics, MASS reduction is everything. So, I am thinking, replace all the mechanical rods and actuators with fly - by - wire, use solid state inertial sensors (for Roll/Pitch/Yaw) such as the QRS11, replace the heavy ducted fans which appear to be metal based, with carbon composite ducted fans, and I believe the power to weight ratio will improve greatly. This improves lift capabilities, speed, and endurance.

There are no complicated electronics involved, and will also reduce the Radar signature in Military applications.

I think there is real potential here when the developers start looking at it seriously. :tu:

• Like 1

Death from above.

It's bad enough that I can barely cross the street without being run over by distracted or drunk drivers, now I have to keep one eye on the sky. No pilot's license or training required? Seriously?

• Like 2

This won't become anything more I bet.

They made a full on hover vehicle years ago. There is video footage of it and the Military scrapped it.

Can you drive over the ocean? lol. That would be fun.

Lol the video is so lame.

Would love to have a real go in full body armour to see what it can do and how un/stable it really is.

the minute I seen this, I thought of Luke Skywalkers hover bike lol

Who came first, George Lucas or some military research project? In any case, it could be useful for many things, mainly fun like a jet-ski, because anything much bigger than what's in the clip would need too much power.

Boy, that looks like all kinds of potential fun! Imagine hover bikes transiting back and forth, no need for blacktop! Just stay away from the fences, reflector posts and power lines etc?

• 1 year later...

Get around STAR WARS-style: Hoverbike lets you fly at speeds of 45mph - and it could launch as early as 2017

A company in California created the bike that will let people reach speeds of 45mph (72km/h) while hovering up to 12ft (3.6metres) above the ground

Aero-X will be sold for $85,000 (£50,730) and has a delivery date of 2017

It uses two ducted rotors facing the ground to hover and resembles the Imperial hover bikes in Star Wars Return of the Jedi

Vehicle rides like a motorbike and riders can learn to control it in two days

Two-seater vehicle could be used in disaster relief and farming

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2629250/Get-STAR-WARS-style-Hoverbike-lets-fly-45mph-launch-early-2017.html#ixzz31pAaKZtc

and

Aerofex's hoverbike made a pretty big splash when the Californian company showed off its working prototype all the way back in 2012, but then it went eerily silent. Now, Aerofex has finally revealed a launch date and price: it'll cost $85,000 and ship in 2017, according to its website.

http://www.cnet.com/uk/news/aerofex-hoverbike-headed-for-market-in-2017/

If I start saving now...

I still won't be able to afford one :no:

Thanks for posting Seeder.

• Like 1

If I start saving now...

I still won't be able to afford one :no:

Thanks for posting Seeder.

Welcome! maybe you can build your own? :lol: couple of big fans and away you go! (maybe)

Besides once the 'other countries' copy it, It'll come right down in price :tu:

Edited by seeder

Welcome! maybe you can build your own? Besides once the 'other countries' copy it, It'll come right down in price :tu:.

I built my own Speeder Bike as a kid. A plank of wood, with other bits of wood nailed to it all propped up on bricks in the back garden.

Its as close as I am ever going to get to the real thing, it still gave me hours of fun though. :D

• Like 1