Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

China unveils ambitious space projects

Waspie_Dwarf

China unveils ambitious space projects

BEIJING, Aug. 21 (Xinhua) -- China will launch several space projects, including a hard X-ray telescope for black hole studies, between 2014 and 2016, according to a senior Chinese astronomer.

Su Dingqiang, an academic at the Chinese Academy of Sciences and former president of the Chinese Astronomical Society, revealed some details regarding the hard x-ray modulation telescope (HXMT), China's first space telescope, on Tuesday at the opening ceremony of the International Astronomical Union (IAU)'s 28th General Assembly.

arrow3.gifRead more...

"The fact that we are meeting here is an indication that China has emerged in a short period of time to be competitive on the world stage in the science of astronomy."

Assuming you have the money, it's not that hard when you have the luxery of reproducing things other countries have already invented/achieved.

• Like 1

This is awesome! Remember when another big player (the Russians) was in the competition? Hopefully this sparks a space race to Mars.

Im inclined to agree with the Mole, A Race to mars would be quite awesome :P

I remember a film that had the east & west in space & all they could do was war on each other & I feel if we don't go into space united as one it will become a new battle ground.

i wonder if there is a study on what breeds technology better team work or competition.

I think all resources towards space development should go to the UN so that no single nation can dominate space. The UN Space Council should then use these resources donated by capable nations into developing offworld colonies and space exploration. Like the ISS, each offworld colony should have multiple nationalities of colonists.

Edited by Ashiene

I agree with the UN thing, although I worry it might hinder space development at the rate the world is running right in this momemnt. But eventually yes, even colonizing the moon should be done in unity rather than countries competing for commercial interest.

It won't get us there the fastest, but laying the diplomatic framework would be worth the wait for our grandchildren.

Edited by TheMolePatrol

I dont know whats best, competition or cooperation. Both have strong sides and weakness. Like for cooperation it tends to become extremely slow and costly. Because the cooperation to work, it has to slow down so that the "weakest" space agency can be part of it. And costly because of to much burocraty. Competition, is generally faster, but im not sure if cheaper. Because to many resourches from different sides goes to the same goal.

So realistically I think there are situations where cooperation is better and others where competition beats all.

• 3 weeks later...

I wish these big astronomy groups

to cooperate, to create an outstanding project that will "change" our understanding.

Edited by Opinionist

• 2 weeks later...

I think all resources towards space development should go to the UN so that no single nation can dominate space. The UN Space Council should then use these resources donated by capable nations into developing offworld colonies and space exploration. Like the ISS, each offworld colony should have multiple nationalities of colonists.

I believe the Chinese were told they weren't invited to join the ISS program, that's why they have gone their own way, they had no choice.

It's all very well saying everyone should unite to explore space, but there may come a time, and it may not be too far away, when everyone is fighting for the Helium 3 on the moon. Remember what happened at the end of the movie 'Iron Sky'.

I believe the Chinese were told they weren't invited to join the ISS program, that's why they have gone their own way, they had no choice.

You are putting the cart before the horse here. As far as I'm aware the Chinese haven't asked to join the ISS programme. It is also inaccurate to say that the Chinese are "going their own way". The Shenzhou was developed with a lot of help from Russia,