Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Live testing of your own abilities on UM?

Professor T

Would you like to test your abilities?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to test your abilities?

• Good Idea
    • Bad Idea
    • Dont care

Hi,

You know, since I've been coming to UM I've been very surprised that no-one here are doing any live tests for remote viewing, mediumship, Psychic abilities or anything.. It's been a little dissapointing to tell the truth..

Why aren't there any (Sense what's in the envelope) Tests, where people can explore the limits with their own abilities and such, and learn from succeses and failures.

I imagine a test as being just a photo in a named & displayed envelope, to be opened & posted at a certain date.

Not to be treated like a competition of course. (mmm, like that'll happen.)

I imagine it would be a good learning tool for newbies. (hell I'd give it a crack)

And for the experienced to see just how close to the truth they can get.

Is this a good idea?

Or am I missing a point?

Thanks.

Edited to add, by Testing I mean exercising your abilities, not to be used to validate the existence of them.

Edited by Professortaylor
  • Like 2

It would make for some interesting reading...for sure.

• Like 2

If you'd like to see a thread like this on the forums then why not start one ?

• Like 3

If you'd like to see a thread like this on the forums then why not start one ?

Thanks.

I think I might do that. I just want to see the poll results first & see if there will be much interest.

& get some feedback from the other members first. I'd hate to start something that ends up being counter-productive..

• Like 1

I have mixed feelings about these kind of testing scenarios, just because in my experience they tend to have been posed as egotistical challenges to prove or validate the existence of or for someone who wants these things proven to them by others. Personally I don't think under these circumstances that it makes a productive practice environment for obvious reasons and sadly there is little respect for this. So it is good you acknowledge that it shouldn't be about proving the existence of but just simply for practice for people.

The other issue in getting people interested to openly live test a forum setting, is many of us have been there done that at some point and have simply outgrown/surpassed the need or find that kind of testing doesn't work unless its for a real productive reason. It is hard to stop it from becoming competitive or people upping challenges to prove things, and there is nothing more egoic and pointless to someone who is trying to work on getting past ego or confidence, it kind of goes against the whole principle imo. But this is just my opinion.

Here are a few views here expressed by others in a recent challenge thread - http://www.unexplain...pic=226668&st=0

What I have noticed does work is when people practice and develop their remote viewing/projection, mediumship skills in a real life productive way, like working together on missing persons cases, or starting a readings thread in the readings forum. Missing persons cases have been worked on at various times in there.

Example here - http://www.unexplain...pic=220465&st=0

Also, there was for a time a test thread for astral projection that i started to run alongside the astral FAQS thread, all of us that participated found it it be quite productive and it was done in a non competitive way - you can review it here (the thread is still open if anyone wants to bring it back to life)

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=223357entry4223554

Edited by bLu3 de 3n3rgy
  • Like 2

Hi,

You know, since I've been coming to UM I've been very surprised that no-one here are doing any live tests for remote viewing, mediumship, Psychic abilities or anything.. It's been a little dissapointing to tell the truth..

Why aren't there any (Sense what's in the envelope) Tests, where people can explore the limits with their own abilities and such, and learn from succeses and failures.

I imagine a test as being just a photo in a named & displayed envelope, to be opened & posted at a certain date.

Not to be treated like a competition of course. (mmm, like that'll happen.)

I imagine it would be a good learning tool for newbies. (hell I'd give it a crack)

And for the experienced to see just how close to the truth they can get.

Is this a good idea?

Or am I missing a point?

Thanks.

Edited to add, by Testing I mean exercising your abilities, not to be used to validate the existence of them.

This might be very interesting. I cannot control it at will so ....

• Like 1

Sounds like a great idea. . .. what am i holding behind my back? ? :)

• Like 1

This might be very interesting. I cannot control it at will so ....

I imagine the test, mmmm, let's call it exercise, would run over several weeks giving everyone a chance to have one or more goes using different methods if they like. The results, right or wrong, are just results to be used & reviewed by the experimentees.

I think after reading the links Blue posted by ZaraKitty & Rick Waid, that the key to ensuring that any live tests stay away from being ego-driven is to ensure that the guiding principle is one of self discovery, not proof of pudding. So, by all means, people should post dozens of different guesses or results if they like, so long as the right or wrong results (by changing methods) mean something to them, not me, or anyone else.

Ultimately, I see it as a guilt free means of exercising ones abilities and trying out new or different methods. Guilt free as in it's ok to be totally wrong in a exersize of guess the photo, but no so guilt free to be totally wrong with someones genuine cry for help..

Editied to add, havn't read the other thread Blue posted yet, and guessing (sensing) it's the atlantis thread which I've already read... hang on, I'll check..................... hey hey I was right! :w00t:

Edited by Professortaylor
  • Like 1

Sounds like a great idea. . .. what am i holding behind my back? ? :)

mmm, I sense you are holding up your trousers because the elastic broke when you sneezed..

Yes, & you dont want them to fall down again because it was very embarracing.. :whistle:

• Like 2

Ok, so far 75% like the idea, so I think I'll start one.

Will start it in the Psychic abilities thread, away from the more important readings..

The way I figure it will work is I'll get together 5 or 6 photos that I am familiar with. Familiar as in Know the history/location/story of, know the basic details of, so that I can verify hit's or misses with the readers.

·
Each photo will be shuffled & placed face down in identical separate sealed envelopes.

·
Envelopes will be shuffled, one selected at random & named "UM reading exercise 001"

·
I will scan the sealed envelope and post it for people to test different methods of remotely knowing what the photo is..

·
The exercise will run for two weeks, at the end of which I will break the seal, and post the photo & everything about it.

Rules:

The guiding principle for the exercise is testing methods, not your personal abilities. This is for self discovery & honing skills, not as a verification of their existence. Do as many readings with different methods as you like, with as many or as few details as you like. (you may want to start each post with a description of the method used so that when the results are posted you can tell which ones worked, and which didn't. This description could be anything from the actual method to whatever it was you had for breakfast.)

Remote Viewers: It may pay to list the different aspects of the target reading in your posts to see where your strong points are such as it's Colour, Shape, Texture, Movement, Smell, Taste, Temperature or feeling about the target.

Psychics & mind readers: Never mind, you probably already know anyway..

Astral Projectors: Stay out of my room!! Seriously, I'm trying to project and the last thing I need is visitors knocking things over and giggling about in the dark.

I won't start this for another week to give people time to discuss or request changes to how it will proceed. Just encase I've missed anything.

I'm sure everyone (even me) would be curious to see the results of such a thing. But It might discourage new or developing psychics... Sometimes the pressure of a "test" can mess up a person's focus and concentration, especially if they are weak and just discovering their ability.

Many can do it, but they have not learned how to harness it yet. For example, they can only do it really well when they are very relaxed, with no pressure. Or even when they don't mean to do it-- like they are very sad, scared, or angry. We all have something that triggers it, and it takes time and practice to master using it. When you haven't learned to trigger and control it yet, it can be pretty random, sort of turning on and off at the strangest moments...

So a person who is just learning, may get discouraged and abandon their abilities, if they fail a "test". They may start to think they have no abilities at all. The first step to developing your abilities, is to believe that you have them. People need to continue believing they have these abilities, or they will not be able to take them any further.

At the very least, I would say don't take a test unless you are VERY sure of your ability to use and control your gift. And then the test should only be to show others you can do it.

But don't take a test just to prove it to yourself, if you feel that you are not very strong in your ability yet. It will only discourage you.

Edited by Melissa569
  • Like 2

Hi Mellisa, Welcome to the community..

You've raised some very good good points here, thanks.. :tu:

I've been looking into how this could or should work, and realised earlier on that I shouldn't have used the word Test.

If this goes ahead it will be an excercise, not a test. And what I mean by excersise is a means to try different methods or variations of your own method to determine what the photo will be. My hope is that through this "excercising" people will be able to determine where their strengths and weaknesses are in order to become better at it. You could say, that incorrect results from this exercise are just as valuable to the reader as the correct results because at they will be highlighting areas that need attention or tuning rather than proving the existence of the ability.

Say for instance, the Photo is of a Church.... But in the reading you didn't mention a building at all, but somehow got a sense of "Sacred" or "Holy place" I'm no expert, but such results may indicate to you that "well, visually my senses are a bit off, but I was Bang on the money with the Mood of the Photo".... I imagine such infomration would be very valuable verification for a reader.

The results therefore, would highlight strengths, weaknesses, and not by any means have anything to do with testing the validity of your abilities or existence thereof. Right or wrong, the results of the exercise should be helpful if you choose to participate.

Edited to add: It will run over several weeks so if abilities can only be exercised at certain times, that should be time long enough..

Edited by Professor T

Actually Melissa you've raised another good point that I almost missed..

Belief in your own abilities.. mmmm, I imagine that is very important therfore the question must be asked.

Should Sceptics be allowed to Participate?

A golden rule, the way I've got it written out anyway, is "DO NOT criticize anyone else's methods or results."

If Sceptics want to give it a go, I think, yes, fine, take a stab at it using Scepticamancy: (Blind Guesses) "new word by the way, copyright me, don't bother googling."

What are peoples thoughts on this?

Or would this be a turn off?

• Like 1

A golden rule, the way I've got it written out anyway, is "DO NOT criticize anyone else's methods or results."

If Sceptics want to give it a go, I think, yes, fine, take a stab at it using Scepticamancy: (Blind Guesses) "new word by the way, copyright me, don't bother googling."

What are peoples thoughts on this?

Or would this be a turn off?

Some pointers i would suggest for a cohesive productive learning environment would be, that since the emphasis for this is on exercising, practising and honing what one already perceives and believes themselves to have, then the ground rules for all wanting to participate have to be accepted on that basis. If someone who is sceptical of their own ability at being able to do any of this but still wants to join in, they have to acknowledge that by agreeing to join in, the focus is on themselves and working and developing their own self, not fussing over what others are doing or not doing. Failure to comply with this would be considered derailment to the purpose of the thread and over all learning experience for the majority participating. If such a thing happens, then anyone disrupting the thread for their own agenda will be asked to leave.

The agreement should cover the base points that a thread like this is not a debate thread, it is not a thread to prove or validate the existence of, and it is not a thread to place your own egotistical challenges into. I think only one person at a time should present a 'mission' for the participants to work on, and each mission should span a period of a few weeks at least. The missions should be agreed on before hand by the majority participating and tweaked if necessary. I would suggest that the basic participation level requires that a person either joins in full, meaning the person is agreeing to develop and hone their own ability/ method or, they don't participate in the thread at all. It is not a testing ground and so it's not about sceptics and believers, it's merely about those who want to develop themselves and so only those committing themselves to it should have any input, as no one can be expected to understand a persons own method and how they best work other than the persons themselves.

This is an idea at least on how the astral project practice and development threads have been set up to maintain a productive learning environment. It's not about debating or sides or who believes what, the main objective is for self discovery and development and if that part can't be agreed to or kept to, then the person has no place to be involved.

Edited by bLu3 de 3n3rgy
  • Like 1