Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Lance Armstrong accused of doping

and-then

They wouldn't need to stop at pharmaceuticals, genetic manipulation, implants, cybernetics... medical science could jump ahead decades, at least until the mutated, semi-cyborg athletes rise up with their superhuman powers and overthrow us.

• 1 month later...

He's a cheater.

He knowingly, willingly, and purposefully did what he could to break the rules and gain a competitive advantage.

But I suppose it's all water under the bridge now. He's doing some very good work now, but I think he should be stripped of all his wins.

how brave of all those people to stand up now after the fact and not, I dunno WHILE HE WAS STILL RACING/CHEATING ...

• Like 1

how brave of all those people to stand up now after the fact and not, I dunno WHILE HE WAS STILL RACING/CHEATING ...

I recall at least as far back as 2005 his former masseur accused him of being a drug cheat, so there is a fairly long history of allegations.

The facts against him look really bad...I think it is a witch hunt but it looks real bad for him...

However, I think we have to give him credit for this...If all of this stuff is true, he is a mastermind and pulled off the most epic drug ring and cheating scandel in the history of sports.

Either way, they should have let it go. How many people give a crap about cycling? Once a year, people act like they care. Everyone loved Lance, he was a hero. And now they basically erased a decade of a sport that needed it the most. Good job killing the sport. I stopped watching baseball over this crap...I can give up cycling way easier...matter of fact, I am already over it. Never really care to see anyone ride a bike again...Good job USADA.

Either way, they should have let it go. How many people give a crap about cycling? Once a year, people act like they care. Everyone loved Lance, he was a hero. And now they basically erased a decade of a sport that needed it the most. Good job killing the sport. I stopped watching baseball over this crap...I can give up cycling way easier...matter of fact, I am already over it. Never really care to see anyone ride a bike again...Good job USADA.

I agree...

I mean heck, I could get ten people to testify that person x assassinated Kennedy, but without any proof, well, they are just empty words.

• Like 2

I tend to agree with you on this one AND THEN. It does appear to be a witch hunt against Armstrong.

For the record, however, I'm one of those who sees the whole steroid issue in sports to be rather a tempest in a teacup.

I tend to agree with you on this one AND THEN. It does appear to be a witch hunt against Armstrong.

For the record, however, I'm one of those who sees the whole steroid issue in sports to be rather a tempest in a teacup.

The drugs skew any validity to the pursuit of "records" or record keeping but the greater problem is that they do kill people. If it can be proven that he cheated then I'd change my mind about him. But no proof is offered, just more allegations.
  • Like 2

Cars, motorcycles and airplanes kill people too AND THEN. Shall we ban them?

Not being an athlete, my understanding is that there is a long list of supplements that are OK for athletes to use to enhance their performance.

But only a short list of substances that are NOT OK to enhance performance. Why are some OK and some not?

• Like 1

Well, the real point is that the RULES says that it is cheating to use them. Just as I'm sure the rules state Lance couldn't use a motor scooter on the Tour De France.

If 'performance enhancement' becomes legal to the rules, then it's not cheating. But, to use them, knowing full well that you are breaking the rules indicates he's a cheat.

• Like 2

Well, the real point is that the RULES says that it is cheating to use them. Just as I'm sure the rules state Lance couldn't use a motor scooter on the Tour De France.

If 'performance enhancement' becomes legal to the rules, then it's not cheating. But, to use them, knowing full well that you are breaking the rules indicates he's a cheat.

The problem will be that, if Armstrong gets his TdF titles taken away some of them will go to Jan Ullrich, who has been convicted of doping.

No matter how much you look, you will hardly find a clean biker of the time in any major competition.

• Like 5

The problem will be that, if Armstrong gets his TdF titles taken away some of them will go to Jan Ullrich, who has been convicted of doping.

No matter how much you look, you will hardly find a clean biker of the time in any major competition.

Yep, I think i posted earlier about that. Even the 2nd, third and fourth place people have all been connected to doping in some way.

I'm not sure what the answer is. Maybe just strike the races from the 'book' completely.

• Like 2

How can people say he is still innocent and there is a conspiracy involving EVERYONE who ever rode on his team making false statement against him?

• Like 1

How can people say he is still innocent and there is a conspiracy involving EVERYONE who ever rode on his team making false statement against him?

Well, let me put it this way, how do those who claim that he, and most of those in those tours could master the Col du Tourmalet and the Col d'Aubisque 60% faster than the historic medium. The bikes did not get that much lighter and the road did not get any better.

And are the people testifying against him, people who lost to him? ;) Jealously mayhaps?

The fact of the matter is, as of right now there is no evidence he actually took any steroids...

• Like 2

here is my take....

I don't know this guy. I actually could care less. if you get paid to ride a bicycle...you should shut up and be thankful...yeah that requires a lot of grey matter. I really do not care. I actually kinda lean toward the charges are probably true. How can they prove or disprove blood transfusions other than anecdotal evidence?...they can't. "Live strong" my @ss....live pumped up is more like it. Sorry a nut rotted off...but that is no justification for pumping up on chemicals and then blood transfusion to wash the traces away.

I don't know if it is true or not...but what is more profound....in this day and age with all the other problems we are dealing with...I do not care. I DO NOT CARE! It's a stupid and ridiculous distraction. Do you not think the media divies this stuff out to the advantage of someone somewhere? Of course they do....it's distraction politics....something not going your way and making you look bad...."bam!"...something new to focus on till your train wreck is forgotten.

He is a d-bag. I don't care what he "overcame"....he is not on the same level as me or anyone I know...he is not a "common hero"...he is a poster boy for the elite....got enough money...we can erase a drug history....sad but true. He has never struggled with "common" problems....you need to choose new heroes folks...not elitist sheltered with endless money...that represents no one I know.

I'm gonna roll over the floor and laugh when he is revealed to be a cheater....which is what most elites are...cheaters of the system. If you idolize them....I hope you choke on your sobbing tears as they are torn apart and removed from history. they are not us...they are "the other"....get used to it.

Oh...yeah...I am the bad guy. I point out hypocrisy and jump up and down on it's grave. I am tired of idiots idolizing the elite spawn....they are not us...better start doing some homework before making your "love" banners....He is no diff than a republican candidate...never knew what the word "struggle" meant...

Edited by Jeremiah65
  • Like 1

He is a d-bag. I don't care what he "overcame"....he is not on the same level as me or anyone I know...he is not a "common hero"...he is a poster boy for the elite....got enough money...we can erase a drug history....sad but true. He has never struggled with "common" problems....you need to choose new heroes folks...not elitist sheltered with endless money...that represents no one I know.

I don't where you got the idea Lance was born into a rich family, but it isn't true.

• Like 1

Exactly right.

The question seems to be why are some performance enhancing substances OK, while some are not?

Exactly right.

The question seems to be why are some performance enhancing substances OK, while some are not?

You got that wrong: all performance enhancing substances are banned from sports, it is just that some are detectable now (used by the less wealthy or intelligent) and some will be detectable in the future. What has changed is the rules where now biological samples are preserved until a statute of limitations and checked for forbidden substances in the future as soon as the test becomes available.

That way the anti-doping agencies hope to take away the incentive of creating new drugs to enhance performance of what can be achieved by natural training.

What does exist is a list of known substances that are forbidden with exemptions when they may be used (i.e. certain illnesses on part of the athlete) and common food components (i.e. caffeine, lactose, glucose) that, while increasing performance, are not banned if within limits. That is not quite the same as having a list of allowed and disallowed doping.

Questionmark

It could be fairly easily argued that specially formulated protein drinks and powders are performance enhancing supplements. So too breathing oxygen can enhance performance. If pain disables a person, are pain killers also performance enhancing?

For my old body, drinking Gatorade while exercising can be performance enhancing.

Training regularly ALSO enhances one's performance, it might be argued.

So if they can "bulk up" by way of certain supplements, why not "bulk up" (choose your term) with steroids?

Questionmark

It could be fairly easily argued that specially formulated protein drinks and powders are performance enhancing supplements. So too breathing oxygen can enhance performance. If pain disables a person, are pain killers also performance enhancing?

For my old body, drinking Gatorade while exercising can be performance enhancing.

Training regularly ALSO enhances one's performance, it might be argued.

So if they can "bulk up" by way of certain supplements, why not "bulk up" (choose your term) with steroids?

How much Gatorade do you have to drink and how much Coca-Cola to achieve a muscle mass of 50ml of steroids? Right, that is why.

If the reports are to be believed, Armstrong employed intimidation and bullying to keep things quiet, that seems to compound his sins. Moral of the story is, choose your heroes carefully.