Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What Should You Do in a Mass Shooting?

Still Waters

"If you are ever to find yourself in the middle of an active shooter event, your survival may depend on whether or not you have a plan."

So says the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) in a public service video posted online late last month. If you find yourself in the midst of a mass shooting, such as the gun attack near the Empire State Building Friday morning (Aug. 24), or the deadly theater shooting in Colorado on July 20, the DHS urges you to take one of three actions: run, hide or fight — in that order of preference.

http://www.livescien...s-shooting.html

This is what you do:

Get on the floor, put your head between your legs..... And kiss your ass goodbye. :tu:

(this is a joke obviously)

Edited by Coffey
  • Like 3

Also depends on whether you are alone or with loved ones. If so then either shielding or attacking is the best course of action. Best of a bad lot anyway....

Get on top of person nearest to me, protect them. Even if I die (highly likely anyway) I can at least save someone before I go down.

• Like 1

Am wondering what the salaries are of the experts who decided on run, hide or fight but it could have been that Mr Bloody Obvious again. He get's everywhere in Government.

• Like 2

My advice would be-

Select adequate cover

Remain calm

Breathe steadily

Pick your targets individually

Squeeze the trigger, don't snatch at it

Ensure all reload magazines are easily reachable.

Edited by ealdwita
  • Like 3

Get on top of person nearest to me, protect them. Even if I die (highly likely anyway) I can at least save someone before I go down.

Stand next to ZaraKitty

• Like 5

:w00t: You guys kill me sometimes!
  • Like 2

Stand next to ZaraKitty

LOL! I'd happily protect you ^_^

• Like 1

I have no idea. Who knows if bullets are flying around I could think critically about what to do.

I'd imagine I do something ridiculously stupid.

• Like 3

I've thought about this. Pretend you want to join him!

• Like 1

I've thought about this. Pretend you want to join him!

That's a bit like my "psycho home invasion survival plan". Pretend I am a sociopath and so happy to have "new meat" arrive to play with.

Edit to add: "while skipping and clapping with a really big knife pointed at them" :w00t:

Edited by libstaK
  • Like 1

I think I would probably respond the same way I did to drive by shootings at school- hit the deck, preferably behind something, and hope that I don't get shot.

Carry with you a fake bomb strapped to your chest, with a wire running to it and ignition trigger at the other end in your hand.

Then pose as a terrorist and turn it into a mexican standoff, while everybody else gets away and until the police arrive.

Crazy versus crazy, which might go something like this...............

Crazy shooter: I will kill you.

You the fake Terrorist; No! I kill you!

Crazy shooter: Noooo, I'm the Joker and I will kill you!

You the fake Terrorist: A ha ha, praise god you kill me then, I'll release this button then we both die!

Crazy shooter: NO, YOU!

You the fake Terrorist: THEN YOU!

Crazy shooter: YOU!

You the fake Terrorist: ALSO YOU!

Crazy shooter: DAMMIT I SAID YOU!

You the fake Terrorist: You sound like a broken record...YOU!

Crazy shooter: Kiss my ass...YOU!

You the fake Terrorist: No, I blow up your ass...YOU!

Crazy shooter: YOU!...YOU, YOU, YOU!

You the fake Terrorist: YOU TOO!

Crazy shooter: YOU, YOU b******!

You the fake Terrorist: ME AND YOU, YOU AND ME...WE'RE A HAAAPPY PSYCHOTIC FAAAAAMILY!

Crazy shooter: WAIT...WHAT?!!!

Police arrive......

Police Officer: How about both of you. BLAM! BA-BA-BA-BLAM! BLAM! BLAM!

Hmmmm...okay that didn't play out so well. On second thought, bad idea...never mind. Just run if you can get away.

Edited by Purifier
  • Like 2

That was funny.

If possible, though, I would take the SOB out. I realize that's not always likely.

• Like 1

:w00t: You guys kill me sometimes!

Perhaps not if you're standing next to ZaraKitty!

• Like 1

That headline ranks alongside "Freddie Starr ate my hamster!"

• Like 1

Basically my thought was, like I said. To pretend you feel the same and ask if you can help him. That way you gain his trust, but you really have to be a great actor and convince yourself that you do indeed feel this way. Walk up to a man and punch him in the face a few times, knocking him out. Right there, even though you've harmed someone, you could easily gain his trust, ask for a gun. Make it seem like you've been waiting forever to do this and this is the perfect opportunity. Once you get a gun, walk up to the same guy, pretending you're going to blow his head off, and then shoot the attacker instead. If you play this correctly, you may be able to save the day!! Yes, the guy you punched may be a little p***ed at you, but under the circumstances, I'm sure he'd be grateful!

What do you guys think? Too risky? I would only try this if it were the only way, like you knew you were going to be killed. If someone had been killed already and death was inevitable, I would so try this. I'm pretty confident that I'd be able to pull this off. Dunno about anyone else, I'm sure there are only certain types with the mentality to be very manipulative to pull this off. Or at least die trying!!!

There is of course, the alternative. Trying to council him. Asking what made him get to this point. Be caring and thoughtful, playing the role of a therapist or shrink. Make him seem like he is very important and his message is serious and not crazy and he deserves recollection and admiration. Maybe even try Reverse psychology.

Reverse psychology is a technique involving the advocacy of a belief or behavior that is opposite to the one desired, with the expectation that this approach will encourage the subject of the persuasion to do what actually is desired: the opposite of what is suggested. This technique relies on the psychological phenomenon of reactance, in which a person has a negative emotional response in reaction to being persuaded, and thus chooses the option which is being advocated against.
http://en.wikipedia....erse_psychology

I would convince him that I've also done this before and got away with it, gaining his trust and maybe he would take my advice. Manipulation is the key in these types of survival situations. Sometimes, trying to hide and cower or crying is only going to make you even more of a target. They want to kill the weak first or the heroes first. Not the guy who is cheering him on. But then again, lol, what do I know about mass murderers? :innocent:

Edited by Mentalcase
  • Like 1

Run and hide. If loved ones are in danger, I would defend them at all costs.

• Like 2

Try to distract the shooter so that others may escape.

• Like 1

Stand next to ZaraKitty

And stay the hell away from ealdwita! Seriously though, I think I just have the worst luck when it comes to these things, because I've been in a building during a hold up, more than once. Staying calm is a great (though difficult) thing to do, but if there are enough people around, panic will for the most part break out inevitably. Hiding is a good option when possible if you have a cell phone or some accessible means to contact the police, but in quite a few situations if the shooter is mobile, you'll want to be as well. Chaos is an even bigger issue when there are multiple shooters. I was in Mexico once and someone shot a person, and it happened so fast that no one had even seen who it was, but then someone else pulled out a gun, and then a third and a fourth, and so on, and in the time it took for plain civilians to run indoors or seek other cover, and leave just the involved persons in the cartels to duke it out, it was like minutes of watching water and oil separate, but everyone was running and shouting and doing God knows what, and it was just one big mess.

• Like 1

Not bad advice really. Save the taxpayer money, don't stop hitting him with the chair until he is dead.

• Like 1