Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

[Merged] Neil Armstrong has died

RockabyeBillie

He is indeed a hero. What a man. Fantastic courage. And a true testament to all who want to keep secrets but can not. This man has kept the biggest secret of all time since July 20th 1969. He took that secret to the grave. Well done Neil. R.I.P. my friend.

Are you referring to one of the various plots or rumours of plots?

This man has kept the biggest secret of all time since July 20th 1969. He took that secret to the grave.

Are you referring to one of the various plots or rumours of plots?

This is really not the time or place for hints, allegations and arguments about secrets and conspiracies.

Let's just keep this as a tribute thread to a man who has inspired the world.

• Like 2

For those who may ask what they can do to honor Neil, we have a simple request. Honor his example of service, accomplishment and modesty, and the next time you walk outside on a clear night and see the moon smiling down at you, think of Neil Armstrong and give him a wink.”

How beautiful :):cry:

http://www.unexplain...0

Indeed Still...

As it was last night at 21:30 EDT, when the ISS passed just below the Moon, just before the overcast set in.

neil_armstrong.jpg

God bless you, Neil!

:tu::tsu:

• Like 1

RIP : Neil you will be missed but never forgotten.

This is really not the time or place for hints, allegations and arguments about secrets and conspiracies.

Let's just keep this as a tribute thread to a man who has inspired the world.

Those of us who know thank you Waspie!

:tu: :tu:

• Like 1

i did not know neil armstrong that much since i was born in the 2000s all i know was he was a great man and a great hero and someone who will be remembered throughout history

as the man who stepped onto the moon the 1st to land. -one small step-quoted by Neil Armstrong

Rest in Peace Neil.

You will live in our memory, forever.

What's amazing is no matter how far the human race goes - whether populating the cosmos or dying out here on earth in a few thousand years - his name will never be forgotten.

RIP Mr. Armstrong - a hero to humanity.

truely....truely...a magnificent person of a calibur that brought inspirations unto generations... -Me

RIP Neil

My son, my wife and I were talking about his achievements just on the weekend. I guess everyone has a time to leave, but it always seems premature.

One man that will never be forgotten. Thanks Mr Armstrong for enriching our lives.

• Like 1

Neil Armstrong

Icon, Hero, and a truly great man.

Neil Armstrong has passed, of course. It is an event he would probably find uninspiring in and of itself, if he could look at it from the human perspective. After all, everyone dies. Neil, me, you...sometime, somewhere. Takes no skill, or effort.

And Neil Armstrong has always been known as the first man to set foot upon the Moon, and I know he found that less inspiring, and much less an accomplishment, as the piloting that took him, at the helm of Eagle, to the surface of the Moon earlier on July 20, 1969.

I can tell you that Mr. Armstrong was, before anything else, a pilot, and one of the best there ever was.

From the time he first soloed back around 1945 , through his 78 combat missions in Korea, to his career at Dryden , where he flew 200 aircraft as a research pilot, including X-15 flights, numbering 7 and reaching an altitude of 207, 000 feet (over 39 statute miles), and a speed of 4000 MPH (mach 5+ ...the man was all pilot. It's all he ever wanted to be

250px-Pilot_Neil_Armstrong_and_X-15_-1_-_GPN-2000-000121.jpg

Neil had already completed his B.S. in Aeronautical Engineering and would obtain an M.S. in Aeronautical Engineering in 1962, after his daughter Karen passed away from a brain stem tumor.

God love Neil, and Janet, and little Karen, January 28, 1962.

Neil was selected as an astronaut in the 1962 group.

And we watched this man, 4 years later, command his Gemini flight, GT-8.

His performance as CDR on Gemini-8 in spring, 1966 showed Armstrong's mettle, as he coolly settled the first emergency in U.S. manned spaceflight, and executed a perfect emergency re-entry and landing.

220px-Gemini_8_during_rescue.jpg

Then he was assigned as CDR of Apollo 11, which of course became the first landing mission to the Moon, which his piloting skills produced the first landing of human beings on another celestial body.

In all of that accomplishment, still--his most memorable accomplishment was that landing on the Moon at 16:17 EDT. A pilot's moment of glory, and he, among all men, deserved that moment.

220px-As11-40-5886.jpg

But all these major accomplishments are not what made Neil Armstrong a great man.

It's what happened after Apollo 11. After the un-wanted fame, the August 13 trip across this country, where millions saw he and his crew in one day, in New York, Chicago, and Los Angeles, the Speeches before Congress, the world tour and after the Government job, and after the University professorship.

It was his deportment, his class,. his continued professionalism, his genuine humility, and his definitive eloquence...which is all that anyone's been able to see in Neil Armstrong since 1969. All those things, consistent, repeated, and inspirational, are the things that made him great, from their first appearance in the post-Apollo years, until 8-25-12, when he passed from our presence.

It is difficult to describe the loss of such a great man. None such as he have been known to me.

And every time I've heard the man speak, his honesty, his knowledge and his passion about flight, and especially about inspiring the younger generations into the study of sciences, mathematics, and aviation, it's been one of those moments you never want to forget.

There's only one way to get the jist of this man.

Listen to him, here, at the 40th anniversary of Apollo 11, in the Smithsonian Institution. One of the greatest addresses he ever gave, and I wasn't without a tear watching him do it. This is Neil Armstrong, as he really was...listen to it all:

"Apollo was a good thing to do" God I'll never forget it.

That's all that needs be said about this exceptional, remarkable human being.

And that says it all about Neil. His passion, his emotion (something not seen very often), his knolwedge, his eloquence, and his humility, and grace...

When we bury him, we will bury one of the best that ever graced humanity, and I already miss him terribly. This is, to me, truly a loss on the greatest scale.

But, I will, as I have for 43 years, look at that Moon in the sky, and I'll think about that guy who landed there first, and what it meant to me, and all those guys who made it happen in the MOCR on a hot, summer day in 1969. And I will smile, and I will wink. Not to say that I won't have a tear or two(because I know I will, as I already have...), but I'll smile when I wink at Neil, who's out there somewhere.

And to his wife Carol, to Janet, to his good friend, and the man who honored him many times, Gene Cernan, his Apollo 11 crew mates, and to Dave Scott. who still lives today because of Neil. to you all, and his children, and everyone in the Armstrong clan, I express my condolences at the loss of a friend, a Husband, a Father, and simply a great human being. One of the finest men to have walked this planet's surface.

May he come back one day, and inspire millions, as he did during his tenure on Earth!

God bless you Neil Armstrong.

I miss you terribly.

:tu: :tu: :tu:

• Like 4

RIP Neil.Neil was a true American he is my hero

RIP Neil.Neil was a true American he is my hero

Thank you MISHA-lee!

I assure you, you are not alone!

:tu:

As I was doing my washing up something in the corner of my eye attracted my attention, it was the moon. As has happened so many times since I was 3 years old and men called Neil and Buzz walked on that alien world, there was a momentary feeling of wonder. Human beings have walked there. What an achievement.

That we can no longer look at that remote satellite in the same way is probably the greatest monument not just to Neil Armstrong but to all the brave astronauts that flew the Apollo mission, to the scientists and engineers that designed and built the craft that got them there. To those at Kennedy and Houston that kept them safe and to the workers that manufactured the countless tens of thousands of components which the astronauts relied on.

The enduring legacy of Neil Armstrong's "one small step" is that we will never look at the moon in the same way. When we say "reach for the moon", we are no longer saying "reach for the impossible".

The moon represents what man can achieve, what science and engineering can achieve. It represents a potential future for mankind where we are no longer restricted to one small planet, but live amongst the stars. When we look back at this tiny world there will be two names written large in the history books, Yuri Gagarin, the first man to look down on this planet from space, and Neil Armstrong, the first man to step onto another world.

• Like 1

Bravo, Waspie!

:yes::nw::yes::tsu:

Armstrong was the right stuff, and he had to land on the moon himself without help from the computer, while their fuel was almost gone.

Armstrong was the right stuff, and he had to land on the moon himself without help from the computer, while their fuel was almost gone.

[media=]

[/media]

yES, MacG. Some of us were there, and remember.

This is a youtube video, right?

R.I.P. neil armstrong, your in all our hearts.

Having returned from what has been a week's mourning, concluded yesterday by a perfect, simple, and eloquent funeral, a fitting tribute to a simple, great man, I have to say how impressed I have been, and am, at the quality, and quantity of UM's posts regarding this event and what it, and Neil obviously meant to so many here.

So many.

I thank you all for all you've said. How great a man Neil Armstrong was is pretty difficult to get accross, but I think you've all done a hell of a job.

As I was yesterday, in a moment, I am reminded about the last words Neil said in his 40th anniversary address at the Smithsonian...a speech I still consider to be his greatest of all the many he's given over the years.

His concluding statement in that beautiful address was, "Apollo was...a good thing to do."

:nw::tsu:

• Like 1