Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Ark of the Covenant

Big Bad Voodoo

19 hours ago, jaylemurph said:

Do not the works of the Earth (except the Pyramids) proclaim their glory?

More than likely slave work from Sumerian/Assyrian conquerors/taskmasters.  Even the pyramids.  They did the work, someone else took the credit.

Edited by MysticWolf

2 hours ago, MysticWolf said:

More than likely slave work from Sumerian/Assyrian conquerors/taskmasters.  Even the pyramids.  They did the work, someone else took the credit.

I will have none of this stuff and non-sense.

The Ancient Egyptians build the Pyramids -- no one else -- at the behest of ancient giant space basset hounds. 

--Jaylemurph

• Like 4

17 hours ago, Harte said:

That's okay. We have bananas for that.

Harte

Baaaah my cat (b)eat your banana

Probably a swedish feline :rolleyes:

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, jaylemurph said:

I will have none of this stuff and non-sense.

The Ancient Egyptians build the Pyramids -- no one else -- at the behest of ancient giant space basset hounds. 

--Jaylemurph

Prince Ankhaef, eat your heart out ...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MysticWolf said:

Okay, I’d love to know what less you to that position, because with the exception of those who thought the Jews made the pyramids (I blame Cecil B. DeMille) I thought it was pretty widely accepted it was Egyptians who did the building st the behest of other Egyptians. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

Okay, I’d love to know what less you to that position, because with the exception of those who thought the Jews made the pyramids (I blame Cecil B. DeMille) I thought it was pretty widely accepted it was Egyptians who did the building st the behest of other Egyptians. 

It's as simple as tracing the origins of the Abrahamic religions, which is the Mesopotamia area https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ancient_Mesopotamian_religion.

1 minute ago, MysticWolf said:

It's as simple as tracing the origins of the Abrahamic religions, which is the Mesopotamia area https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ancient_Mesopotamian_religion.

Aren’t the pyramids from 5000BCE? That’d put them well before the Assyrian Empire.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

Aren’t the pyramids from 5000BCE? That’d put them well before the Assyrian Empire.

They started popping up around 2600 B.C.E.  The Sphinx was more than likely around way before them.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, MysticWolf said:

They started popping up around 2600 B.C.E.  The Sphinx was more than likely around way before them.

...and he's here, talking to us, and not professing this at the university level. Odd, that.

--Jaylemurph

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, jaylemurph said:

...and he's here, talking to us, and not professing this at the university level. Odd, that.

--Jaylemurph

Biased B.S. that doesn't truly' think outside the box.

Edited by MysticWolf
  • Like 1

Just now, MysticWolf said:

Biased B.S. that won't think outside the box.

I love it when folk translate militant ignorance into a virtue: /I/ consider myself very open-minded, so /I/ am a good person.

I can't be bothered to know the details of what I'm talking about, but my opinion is just as good as other people's facts, right?

--Jaylemurph

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, jaylemurph said:

I love it when folk translate militant ignorance into a virtue: /I/ consider myself very open-minded, so /I/ am a good person.

I can't be bothered to know the details of what I'm talking about, but my opinion is just as good as other people's facts, right?

--Jaylemurph

I'm talking about closed minded Egyptologists the world over.  Must have a university level education for them to even entertain a thought.  Come on man.

Edited by MysticWolf
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MysticWolf said:

I'm talking about closed minded Egyptologists the world over.  Must have a university level education for them to even entertain a thought.  Come on man.

You wouldn't need a university level education to entertain a thought about them, but you would need actual knowledge of the scientific and academic community to form anything like a coherent, rational critique of it. So far your biting critique seems to consist of them having the bad taste to disagree with you, regardless of their knowledge and your ignorance.

...doesn't sound anything like sour grapes. At all. Even a little bit.

--Jaylemurph

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, jaylemurph said:

You wouldn't need a university level education to entertain a thought about them, but you would need actual knowledge of the scientific and academic community to form anything like a coherent, rational critique of it. So far your biting critique seems to consist of them having the bad taste to disagree with you, regardless of their knowledge and your ignorance.

...doesn't sound anything like sour grapes. At all. Even a little bit.

--Jaylemurph

You're twisting what I said around.  I'm just going to put you on ignore.

Yeah, that'll work.

If you do enough of it anyway.

Harte

• Like 3

6 hours ago, MysticWolf said:

You clearly don't know any Egyptologists nor have ever met one. I have, and call a couple of them friends. They're some of the most curious people I know. And they're more open minded than most people you'll meet—so long as the information they seek is based on reliable and legitimate evidence—not fringe whimsey and baseless speculation. You can be certain the average Egyptologist has forgotten more about ancient Egypt than you will have ever learned. I'm not saying that to be cruel but am only stating a fact. 

For instance, in another post you wrote, you stated the Sphinx is a lot older than the pyramids there. That is patently wrong. No one in the professional historical or research community believes that.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, MysticWolf said:

Sorry, I must be dim, but what precisely connects the Abrahamic religions to Egypt, specifically the building of the pyramids?

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

Sorry, I must be dim, but what precisely connects the Abrahamic religions to Egypt, specifically the building of the pyramids?

Charlton Heston

• Like 8

13 hours ago, MysticWolf said:

Ironically enough, there was a doco on about that today. The Assyrians arrived around 700BCE.

• Like 3

On 3/23/2018 at 0:55 AM, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

So the best thing you can take away from a rebuttal to “they weren’t that descriptive” is “where’s the Waterproofing?”

that was exactly my point. you shall not expect anything about waterproofing (really nit picking detail) in one paragraph of the general description. 

On 20/03/2018 at 8:39 AM, kborissov said:

Come on. Regardless what they said about rabbis, the bible is not construction manual for the ark of the covenant. You would not expect there the description of the hardware tools used, gauge of the metal, exact dimensions of the angel wings? Lots of details can be a miss from the point the record was created and what else got a miss in translations.

This is what you said.

I spent all of five minutes finding the excruciating level of detail that went into the description of the Ark. 

It is literally a construction manual for thr Ark, so When I said this:

On 20/03/2018 at 8:44 AM, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

No it’s not a construction manual.

its a lot of things, and Exodus is the foundation myths of the Hebrew culture.

I was less accurate than I should have been.

• Like 1

On 3/29/2018 at 7:32 AM, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

The arrogance and ignorance of Medieval Europeans. Think i explained that somewhere here, they assumed the pyramids were graininess built by Joseph.

And a lot of groundless and discredited fanfiction about the part in Exodus where "Pharaoh" makes them create mud bricks. You see the Pharaoh in Exodus is like Cher, he doesn't need a name or an article, he is just "Pharaoh". It's like if someone wrote about Elizabeth I like this: "And then Queen went to give an inspiring speech to her men."

Edited by Orphalesion
  • Like 4

On 3/27/2018 at 9:27 AM, Orphalesion said:

... and considering that the Egyptians controlled "Canaan" for quite a while (another reason Exodus is odd, what I have read, during the time period it is most commonly estimated to have taken place they were in control and Moses would have led his people from Egypt...into Egyptian controlled territory *slow clap*) ...

I recommend using Greg Mumford's 1998 PhD thesis to explain why Egyptologists have so little information about the biblical period of local Judges, and the period of biblical United Monarchy, in the core biblical region.

The reason is a nearly total absence of Egyptian artifacts relating to military, commercial, and diplomatic activity in the entire Levant during Dynasties 21-24 (c.1070-716 B.C.).

quote from page 3 of Mumford's thesis : 

http://www.nlc-bnc.ca/obj/s4/f2/dsk1/tape10/PQDD_0020/NQ45825.pdf

The extant textual and pictorial sources dating to this 1000-year period suggest that Egypt maintained intense military, commercials, and diplomatic activity in the Levant during Dynasties 18-20 (c. l550-l070 B.C.) and Dynasty 25 to early Dynasty 26 (c.716-586 KC.), whereas few contemporary sources record Egypo-Levantine relations during Dynasties 21-24 (c.1070-716 B.C.).
endquote