Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Ark of the Covenant

Big Bad Voodoo

Since I dont like to take credits for others people idea I must say that whole this thread was inspired by people around a web including one memeber on this site called Quasis. Also most of info came from wiki, Bible and some articles I read before.Reason why I start separate thread is because I have some mine original thoughts as well as thoughts from some other people around web,

Ark of the Covenant was golden box described in Bible. In the chest were stone tablets on which Ten Commandments were written plus Aarons rod and jar of manna and Torah scroll written by Moses. Some suggests that there were two Arks. One bulit by Moses and second by Bezalel. It also killed people who looked into it or who touch it.

„But God struck down some of the inhabitants of Beth Shemesh, putting seventy[a] of them to death because they looked into the ark of the Lord. The people mourned because of the heavy blow the Lord had dealt them. 20 And the people of Beth Shemesh asked, “Who can stand in the presence of the Lord, this holy God? To whom will the ark go up from here?” 1 Samuel 6:19

God instructed Moses on Mount Sinai when he stayed 40 days on same peak how to built ark. Then Moses ordered Bezalel and Oholiab how to built Ark. It is to be 2½

cubits in length, 1½ in breadth, and 1½ in height (as 21⁄2×11⁄2×11⁄2 royal cubits or 1.31×0.79×0.79 m). God communicated with Moses "from between the two cherubim" on the Ark.So we are told that God already spoken to Moses on mount Sinai how to built Ark in the first place. Then God spoke to Moses trough Ark. Thats wierd because if he spoke with him without Ark why he need Ark in the first place.

Hebrews carried Ark on their way from Egypt trough desert. Could it be that Ark was reason why Red sea was spread? Im mean we have later accounts that Ark spread water on river Jordan when Hebrews cross it led by Joshua. Joshua even described it for us:

„In the morning Joshua said to the priests, "Lift up the Ark of the Covenant and lead the people across the river." And so they started out and went ahead of the people.“ Joshua 3:6

„It was the harvest season, and the Jordan was overflowing its banks. But as soon as the feet of the priests who were carrying the Ark touched the water at the river's edge, the water above that point began backing up a great distance away at a town called Adam, which is near Zarethan. And the water below that point flowed on to the Dead Sea until the riverbed was dry. Then all the people crossed over near the town of Jericho. Meanwhile, the priests who were carrying the Ark of the LORD's Covenant stood on dry ground in the middle of the riverbed as the people passed by. They waited there until the whole nation of Israel had crossed the Jordan on dry ground.“ Joshua 3: 15-17

According to Bible Ark was kept in the Temple of Solomon in Jerusalem for centuries until a Babylonian invasion in the 6th century BC. In 1 Kings 6:19 we are told that Temple of Solomon was built to host Ark. So as usual as it was whn some Empire conquered other lands they sack and loot city.

„And they tooke all the holy vessels of the Lord, both great and small, with the vessels of the Ark of God, and the kings treasures, and caried them away into Babylon.“ 1 Esdras 1:54

So possibly Ark went to Babylon. And after Babylon we loose trail. There are plenty rumors where it could end. One of the famous is Ethiopia because Solomon connection wih Queen Sheeba and other stuffs.

Its hard to talk how containing material could affect Ark since we dont know what is manna. We can only speculate. Also was Moses scroll in it instructions how to use Ark?

Could it be that Ark was weapon for pyschological warfare? Hint-Battle of Jericho. Or simply instructions given to Moses were done by conspirators who wanted that Moses gather gold and jules from them so they could easily stole it. How do you stole gold from one nation unless they could gather all gold on one place. I can see some clever sceptic thiefs who realized that they could use Hebrews „blind“ faith in all mighty God to gain personal wealth.

The Philistines took the Ark from Hebrews. They took it in town Ashdod.

„Make models of the tumors and of the rats that are destroying the country, and pay honor to Israel's god. Perhaps he will lift his hand from you and your gods and your land. Why do you harden your hearts as the Egyptians and Pharaoh did? When he treated them harshly, did they not send the Israelites out so they could go on their way?“ (1 Sam. 6:5-6)

Philistines got Tumors from Ark. Did Ark radiate them? As Quasis said, quote:

„Moses goes in and stays with the Ark too long, he comes out of the tent and his face is burning red.“

After Hebrews got thier Ark back, Uzzah, Hebrew carrier of Ark, was killed by Ark for touching it. Then David order Levites to brought Ark to Zion. So were Levites cannon meat or did they knew how to carry Ark without hurting themselves?

I read that Quasis wrote that Ark could be Radio to communicate with God or with Mothership . That too could be interesting idea to explore.

Anyway what kind of Box could spread Red sea, Jordan river , kill many people , create tumors,radiate people?

Was Ark built in Golden ratio? How come that Levites knew how to handle it? Does Moses wrote instructions how to use it? Possible. He was educated by Ancient Egyptians.

Was Ark weapon for psychological warfare? Were Hebrews so smart that they realized that belief can be used as greatest weapon of all and convienced their enemies by rumors they spread that they have all mighty weapon?

After Moses and Hebrews left Egypt they took many precious things, gold,jules and ofcourse knowledge from ancient Egypt. Could it be that their stole knowledge for building Ark. Moses must known many Egyptians secret and their science. I read once how Ark have same proportion as Sarcophagi from Great pyramid and that missing cap stone of Great pyramid was from copper so that pyramid could collect energy and transported energy to Ark/Sarchophagi placed in Great pyramid. So was Ark Capacitor for storing electricity?

• Like 1

It was a wooden box overlaid with gold leaf. It had specific dimensions and was used to carry precious artefacts of faith. I believe that any power it expressed was not inherent in it's shape. size or construction materials. It was simply the power of God working through Him to sanctify this thing. IMO.

My thoughts about Solomon.

Based on Archaeology we dont no anything about King Solomon and his temple.Everything we know about King Solomon is written 400 years later after he lived. But in description of his rule in Bible we get some historical core like list of districts.

Some things about Solomon. His father David ruled 10 tribes of north Israel and 2 tribes in south Juda.

David kills Bathsheba husband and married her. His 10th son was Solomon.

Solomon was wise,done building work. Built Solomon temple as home ,resting place for Ark. He has many foregein wife.He had 700 wives and 300 concubines.

He asked God foe wisdom in his dreams and God answer him because you didnt ask for more I will gave you more

such as long life and wealth. Also his famous idea of cuting baby to found out who is real mother.

But was Solomon goledn period existed? He ruled between Med sea and desert and between Nile valley and Tigris and Euphrat valley civilization.

It was weak time of civilzations in those valley so it was a window to rise of Israel. We have oportunity for rising of Hebrews.

They made alliance with Phoenicans to trading.

Solomon built his house 13 years and temple for 7 years. I mean what kind of thing was that Ark if King built home for it for 7 years?

Also he was remembered as one King who his own people become slave labour for building. Who wanted to enslave own people for such "stupid" box?

Was Solomon projection of myths ideals and not historical person? Possible. Becuase from all that jules,wealth, Queen of Sheeba to which he fullfilled all desires to Paganism.

I mean Rehoboam worshiped two golden cows.(Maybe because his father was hittite???)

But Solomon remains interesting charachter in story of Ark. Also if he ever lived, what about his powers to speak to animals and control evil.

Im mean even Muslim worship him as prophet.Thats why we have so many Suleiman rulers.

Maybe Solomon was wizard behind curtn of Ark story as Moses and others.

Anyway what kind of Box could spread Red sea, Jordan river , kill many people , create tumors,radiate people?

Was Ark built in Golden ratio? How come that Levites knew how to handle it? Does Moses wrote instructions how to use it?

Was Ark weapon for psychological warfare? Were Hebrews so smart that they realized that belief can be used as greatest weapon of all and convienced their enemies by rumors they spread that they have all mighty weapon?

After Moses and Hebrews left Egypt they took many precious things, gold,jules and ofcourse knowledge from ancient Egypt . Could it be that their stole knowledge for building Ark. Moses must known many Egyptians secret and their science. I read once how Ark have same proportion as Sarcophagi from Great pyramid and that missing cap stone of Great pyramid was from copper so that pyramid could collect energy and transported energy to Ark/Sarchophagi placed in Great pyramid. So was Ark Capacitor for storing electricity?

What kind of Box could spread Red sea, Jordan river , kill many people , create tumors,radiate people?

Why would one enslaved own people to create resting place for radio? Was it more?

Edited by the L

The box is a cake, therefore it is a lie.

• Like 2

I read somewhere some uni students made an ark and they had to dismantel it due to some sort of eletrical charge that it omitted. ? :unsure2:

• Like 2

i think it's interesting that we use the word (spelled) Arc to describe an electrical spark leaping from one electrode (conductor) to another.

• Like 1

I Believe the ark of noah is still up on mt aarat in turkey.i recall reading an article awhile back where some famous explorer thinks that the ark is somewhere hidden in ethiopa.

The MythBusters built an Ark of the Covenant and put Bagdad Batteries inside.

The Ark was the carrying chest of the most important artifacts while the Israelites were nomads. It was kept in a tent... the Tabernacle, until Solomon built the Temple. Its power did not reside in its construction or in its use. The power was from God, and was directed by Him, if his followers were Faithful to his commands. It was not a "We do this ceremony and cremate Philistines", thing. It was a, "God just commanded us to walk this box out into the valley surrounded by enemies... and we're going to do it because we believe he will protect us.", thing.

The thing was like Sauron's Eye (Lord of the Rings), in that it was where God's attention could be known to exist.

• Like 1

If there is even an ark of the covenant there are so many places it could be. Why would this ancient important relic be hidden on purpose if it is in Ethiopia? Could it still be under the current temple? Or did the Templars discover it before that temple was destroyed? This topic like so many others from the bible could just be stories.

And why would one be struck down as he carried it? If it did have some kind of electrical power then why would a god allow this to happen. I question the theories of the bible and Jesus and God.

Like the Shroud of Turin. No one can prove one way or the other what caused the image on it. However, many things the ancients had and did can not be explained or done these days. How were the pyramids built?

Aliens and their knowledge?

I once read that if you followed the instructions given on how to build the ark (in the bible) you would end up with a giant electrical capacitor(how they came up with that detail, I do not know)! Anyway a capacitor is used to store an electrical charge so if it was in its charged state, when someone approached the two angels on the lid (one positive, one negative) you could get an electrical shock.

Also note that when carried the priests were insulated from the device by the wooden carrying poles...

To paraphrase an old "Star Trek" movie....what does God need with a Taser?

• Like 1

Could the writers of Exodus have glorfied (to light up brilliantly) the second ark, much like the city of Atlantis was said to be all cover in gold and metals in myths. Moses in Deuteromomy said he alone made the ark only out of wood.He went up to the mountain of thunder and held the voice of God in it . Turor Parfitt found a drum like articfact that was carried on poles. A drum seems more fitting with the booms like thunder , see his inter view.

http://grailseekers.blogspot.com/2008/03/today-show-interviews-tudor-parfitt-on.html

Exd 20.4 Moses -Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness [of any thing] that [is] in heaven above, or that [is] in the earth beneath, or that [is] in the water under the earth:

So why make a gorified ark with angels on it?

i think it's interesting that we use the word (spelled) Arc to describe an electrical spark leaping from one electrode (conductor) to another.

If I recall correctly, Ark comes from the Latin arcere- to hold. More specifically in the form arca- referring to a chest or coffer. (I can't remember my conjugates and all that. It's been a while since my Latin classes)

Arc comes from the Latin acrus, meaning bow, arch, or curve.

Just putting that out there.

Exd 20.4 Moses -Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness [of any thing] that [is] in heaven above, or that [is] in the earth beneath, or that [is] in the water under the earth:

So why make a gorified ark with angels on it?

because it's the obvious exception to the run.

Indiana Jones found it

• Like 1

If I recall correctly, Ark comes from the Latin arcere- to hold. More specifically in the form arca- referring to a chest or coffer. (I can't remember my conjugates and all that. It's been a while since my Latin classes)

Arc comes from the Latin acrus, meaning bow, arch, or curve.

Just putting that out there.

Thanks imaginary.

The Bible contains precise instructions for building an Ark of the Covenant. If you follow them, you will end up with a decorated wooden box of a certain size slung from two poles. It is not in any way a technological device, nor is any hint given that it's supposed to be - it's just a box which is magic because it contains bits of broken rock allegedly touched by God. Other boxes made from the same type of wood and of the same dimensions are not in any way special. And the only reason it has to be that particular size and shape is that Old Testament God apparently suffers from OCD, and constantly gives incredibly detailed control-freak orders to everyone. Seriously, the Creator of the Universe is going to be seriously inconvenienced if Jews combine meat and dairy products in the same meal? Obviously he's not altogether well! Also, he thinks insects have four legs.

So what it comes down to is, either you believe the Old Testament to be literally true, in which case the ARk killed people and did various other things for reasons that have nothing to do with science, and everything to do with it being a literal box of God. In which case you believe all manner of things because your religion says you must, and there's no point in discussing this. Or you assume the Old Testament isn't necessarily true, in which case the Ark is a box of rocks about which people told stories because it was meant to be awesomely holy. I repeat, there is zero indication that this is a technological device, or that it works by anything other than sacred magic. And if you don't believe that God slaughtered the first-born son of every family in Egypt or turned Lot's wife into salt for looking in the wrong direction, you have no reason to believe that God also killed people as a punishment for accidentally touching his special private toy-box.

Note also that the Holy of Holies in the Temple of Jerusalem was a completely empty room that would supposedly smite anyone who entered it, ever, apart from the Chief Rabbi on one special day every year. Obviously this was seldom put to the test, so for all they knew it worked. But what is being specifically described here is an empty room. No mysterious technology or "Baghdad batteries", and no hint of any - the room, like the box, kills you because it contains God. And if you don't believe that, it doesn't do anything at all. End of story, unless you believe a certain popular movie starring Harrison Ford to be a documentary.

• Like 3

I was figureing how Moses in the wilderness with tools would build such a ark with the voice of God in it. He would have carved out a tree stump that was lying around and put a animal skin over it making a drum.

Edited by docyabut2

The Bible contains precise instructions for building an Ark of the Covenant. If you follow them, you will end up with a decorated wooden box of a certain size slung from two poles. It is not in any way a technological device, nor is any hint given that it's supposed to be - it's just a box which is magic because it contains bits of broken rock allegedly touched by God. Other boxes made from the same type of wood and of the same dimensions are not in any way special. And the only reason it has to be that particular size and shape is that Old Testament God apparently suffers from OCD, and constantly gives incredibly detailed control-freak orders to everyone. Seriously, the Creator of the Universe is going to be seriously inconvenienced if Jews combine meat and dairy products in the same meal? Obviously he's not altogether well! Also, he thinks insects have four legs.

So what it comes down to is, either you believe the Old Testament to be literally true, in which case the ARk killed people and did various other things for reasons that have nothing to do with science, and everything to do with it being a literal box of God. In which case you believe all manner of things because your religion says you must, and there's no point in discussing this. Or you assume the Old Testament isn't necessarily true, in which case the Ark is a box of rocks about which people told stories because it was meant to be awesomely holy. I repeat, there is zero indication that this is a technological device, or that it works by anything other than sacred magic. And if you don't believe that God slaughtered the first-born son of every family in Egypt or turned Lot's wife into salt for looking in the wrong direction, you have no reason to believe that God also killed people as a punishment for accidentally touching his special private toy-box.

Note also that the Holy of Holies in the Temple of Jerusalem was a completely empty room that would supposedly smite anyone who entered it, ever, apart from the Chief Rabbi on one special day every year. Obviously this was seldom put to the test, so for all they knew it worked. But what is being specifically described here is an empty room. No mysterious technology or "Baghdad batteries", and no hint of any - the room, like the box, kills you because it contains God. And if you don't believe that, it doesn't do anything at all. End of story, unless you believe a certain popular movie starring Harrison Ford to be a documentary.

Mr. Wisty, yours is perhaps the only post necessary in this discussion. Damn nice job. :tu:

• Like 2