Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Shortages could force world to vegetarianism

questionmark

Leading water scientists have issued one of the sternest warnings yet about global food supplies, saying that the world's population may have to switch almost completely to a vegetarian diet over the next 40 years to avoid catastrophic shortages.

Humans derive about 20% of their protein from animal-based products now, but this may need to drop to just 5% to feed the extra 2 billion people expected to be alive by 2050, according to research by some of the world's leading water scientists.

"There will not be enough water available on current croplands to produce food for the expected 9 billion population in 2050 if we follow current trends and changes towards diets common in western nations," the report by Malik Falkenmark and colleagues at the Stockholm International Water Institute (SIWI) said.

Read more

Not for me - all the while there's wild boar, rabbit, deer and other wild game to be had!

• Like 4

I would be ok with this. Have you ever had vegetarian burritos?

Holy crap! :)

• Like 2

Well a reduction in the world's cow population would have an effect on Greenhouse gas production.

• Like 3

When they say things like "the world's population may have to switch almost completely to a vegetarian diet over the next 40 years to avoid catastrophic shortages." they seem to be coming from the rather nice and naive angle of humanitarianism as if govts and people are going to actually care to try and accomodate these problems to make sure no one goes without. The reality is that there's going to be some govts and people who will exploit food shortages for political purposes.

• Like 3

I make really good black burgers. Much better than the store brand.

The good thing about chickens is you keep them in the backyard and they don't eat much compared what you get out of them.

• Like 2

Soylent Green, NWO? Seriously, you think this is some kind of grand conspiarcy?

This a a scientific report, stating the obvious facts and predicting a dire outcome if the facts are ignored. This is not really news, scientists have warned about the problems of exponential human population growth for years.

"The earth is finite. Its ability to absorb wastes and destructive effluent is finite. Its ability to provide food and energy is finite. Its ability to provide for growing numbers of people is finite. And we are fast approaching many of the earth's limits." http://www.ucsusa.org/about/1992-world-scientists.html

http://www.ucsusa.or...scientists.html

• Like 1

Some artificial ground beef is delicious. Like Yves Ground Round.

I buy that all the time and I eat meat.

OK, so we all must start eating vegetarians.

Anyone ever tried one?

• Like 6

I think the world population would drastically drop if everyone turned vegan.. honestly....

It might just be me or a case of bad luck.. But every vegitarian I've ever met have turned out to be utter nutcases.

Seriously, they fly off the wall at the slightest hint of humour. (probably because of a lack of meat in their diet)

They hold grudges longer than normal people, They're far to serious, and they smell like cabbage.

Edited by Professor T
  • Like 6

i thought scientist were working on growing meat in labs? and now there telling us we might have to become vegitarians by the year 2050? MAKE YOUR MIND UP SCIENCE!!! and if this ever happens eventually people will resort to cannibalism.

Soylant Green...I have not thought about that movie in a long time, Great movie.

Prof T, I agree they have no sense of humor!?!?

Utter crap. Other studies show that we already grow enough food, including meat for 11 Billion people to receive 2500 calories. However, it is a question of access and distribution, politics again.

How do you fertilise all these crops, with no animals kept for food producing manure. Inorganic ferts that require large amounts of fossil fuels to produce?

What about extreme areas of the planet where crops will not grow, and the indigenous populace rely largely on animal protein? Oh and rice paddy produce huge amounts of methane, just like cattle.

Vegan Propaganda.

• Like 3

The best way to make a vegetarian burrito: Pick your favorite recipe, choose your ingredients carefully, cook them to perfection and then throw it to the chickens and pick the fattest, kill it and eat it. Then you grow lettuce, feed them to the rabbits and then eat the rabbit... yummy!

• Like 1

Not for me - all the while there's wild boar, rabbit, deer and other wild game to be had!

I agree with this and I am sure that the actual report would too. When you read science in the news it is usually at least partially incorrect about the study findings and always over dramatized. Too bad more people do not specialize in that field. Though, you do get people that can read studies and still over dramatize them in the news. I guess at least they skip the incorrect part usually.

No, and I don't intend to ever try one either.

So, you really would not change your diet even a little bit for the greater good if it was proven to be so?

When they say things like "the world's population may have to switch almost completely to a vegetarian diet over the next 40 years to avoid catastrophic shortages." they seem to be coming from the rather nice and naive angle of humanitarianism as if govts and people are going to actually care to try and accomodate these problems to make sure no one goes without. The reality is that there's going to be some govts and people who will exploit food shortages for political purposes.

Some would definitely, as they do with other resources now. I think all nations have been guilty of this to an extent and rebels have little other choice. Even though we repeat history so often and sometimes with almost comic mimicry (I.E. liberty cabbage and freedom fries), things might not be as bad right now as they seem and we have a way of perservering. Unfortunantly that perserverence always seems to come at the very last minute.

I think the world population would drastically drop if everyone turned vegan.. honestly....

It might just be me or a case of bad luck.. But every vegitarian I've ever met have turned out to be utter nutcases.

Seriously, they fly off the wall at the slightest hint of humour. (probably because of a lack of meat in their diet)

They hold grudges longer than normal people, They're far to serious, and they smell like cabbage.

A healthy vegan diet is a very hard thing to keep and a lot of vegans are not dedicated enough to find out which foods can compliment each other to give you all the essential amino acids. If you do not get them, your body will start breaking down your own protein to fulfill its needs. Being vegetarian is not the same thing because you can eat nonmeat dary products which, like meat, provides all of them.

• Like 3

I would think that it would make more sense to find a way for ocean water to be converted to regular water? Frankly, all these doom and gloom scenarios are starting to get to me. No one thinks positive anymore. Besides who cares if the planet Nibiru or the aliens get us first or we destroy ourselves with nuclear bombs, as the growing trend of doomsday predictions say. No happy news anywhere anymore? Besides I like fruits and vegetables but if there is water shortage etc. how would one even grow them?

• Like 1