Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Shortages could force world to vegetarianism

questionmark

I don't think shortages will be the cause of people not eating meat but the prices (even though one does affect the other)! Have y'all seen the price of just a couple of pounds of ground beef? Unbelievable! As the commercial goes: A pack of beef bologna: $5 A cryopac brisket $20 A rack of ribs $15 A person's face when seeing the cost? Priceless...

just wanted to answer the question about the usefullness of the apendix and the goose bumps:

- to the first question:

http://www.scienceda...71008102334.htm

- to the chill question:

when you're cold, the body tries to make a thicker layer of trapped air around your body to hold your body heat

Everything happens for a reason! please ask more challenging questions because these are realllly EZ!

From your first link:

Several decades ago, scientists suggested that people in industrialized societies might have such a high rate of appendicitis because of the so-called "hygiene hypothesis," Parker said. This hypothesis posits that people in "hygienic" societies have higher rates of allergy and perhaps autoimmune disease because they -- and hence their immune systems -- have not been as challenged during everyday life by the host of parasites or other disease-causing organisms commonly found in the environment. So when these immune systems are challenged, they can over-react.

"This over-reactive immune system may lead to the inflammation associated with appendicitis and could lead to the obstruction of the intestines that causes acute appendicitis," Parker said. "Thus, our modern health care and sanitation practices may account not only for the lack of a need for an appendix in our society, but also for much of the problems caused by the appendix in our society."

Now look at this map, and see where appendicitis is least frequent:

http://en.wikipedia....Y_-_WHO2004.svg

Don't know, but to me it seems to contradict what Parker said.

And about the goose-bumps:

As we all know from experience, goose bumps have hardly if any effect at all in keeping us warm.

It's nothing but an atavistic (don't know if this is the right word here) respons to cold: when we still had fur, our hair would stand up, and thus keep warmth trapped inside the fur, and isolate us from the cold.

Edited by Abramelin

Meat prices will go up, but we'll always have meat to eat. At least I will.

Maybe someday I'll try eating the raccoons I shoot. I shoot them because they attack my chickens.

Meat prices will go up, but we'll always have meat to eat. At least I will.

Maybe someday I'll try eating the raccoons I shoot. I shoot them because they attack my chickens.

Evidently they are edible

Nah, we are omnivores: we eat what you said, plus meat and/or carrion. If we were designed to eat plant/herb material only, our appendix would at least be a 100 times longer, and we would have bellies like a gorilla or a horse/cow, just because of the amount of gut needed to digest the food.

Plus the fact that we have eaten cooked and fried food for many millennia has changed our body. If we had continued eating everything raw, we would still have jaws like those of a Neanderthal or worse, like a gorilla's, with huge molars.

And cooking and frying is 'processing'.

Try to eat uncooked potatoes, and you will soon be sorry you tried.

I'm 55 years old and I've been eating raw potatoes all my life- so when does the "sorry" kick in?

I'm 55 years old and I've been eating raw potatoes all my life- so when does the "sorry" kick in?

As soon as you eat one raw that has been exposed to light too long: it forms extra solanine (you can see part of it's peel turn purple where it forms solanine). One that has been laying in storage too long also forms purple sprouts, it actually starts to grow a plant. Eat tose sprouts raw too, and... you will feel sick.

Edited by Abramelin

As soon as you eat one raw that has been exposed to light too long: it forms extra solanine (you can see part of it's peel turn purple where it forms solanine). One that has been laying in storage too long also forms purple sprouts, it actually starts to grow a plant. Eat tose sprouts raw too, and... you will feel sick.

Thanks for the info- I'll try to avoid those. I'd heard that sun exposure turns them green just below the skin, and that eating it (the green part) could be toxic enough to cause stomach distress. But if the green is peeled away, the potato is safe to consume. Edited by Hippycrite

I cannot fathom how raw potatoes would taste good.

To each his own I guess.

That is true: long ago, while slicing up champignon mushrooms to later cook or fry them, I used to eat some of them raw while cutting.

I quited that habbit because it appears not to be that good for your liver.

Thanks for the info- I'll try to avoid those. I'd heard that sun exposure turns them green just below the skin, and that eating it (the green part) could be toxic enough to cause stomach distress. But if the green is peeled away, the potato is safe to consume.

Yes, you are right: parts of the peel turn green, not purple, and the sprouts turn purple. Both contain solanine.

I cannot fathom how raw potatoes would taste good.

To each his own I guess.

Just to clear up-raw, meaning uncooked. I do "process" them, though, by washing, peeling, and slicing, and I sprinkle on some salt and black pepper. My mom used to hand me these while she was preparing dinner (probably to keep me from asking so many questions), so it's a childhood thing, I suppose.

@ questionmark _ first of all when accuse someone of being ignorant without being able to provide a viable explanation to your "Theory", you need to learn the ethics of speech. An ignorant person would reply back to you using the same tone but since most of Darwin followers who do so blindly, always defend themselves with anger, I am the more confinent it is because they are clueless and that's their only way.

your theory is still a theory... even evolution still has questionmarks about it in case you "read". you asked two scientific questions which I replied to and proposed a theory which indicates that human were designed to walk on four, theories will always be theories. I can talk to you for hours on Marx's A doesn't equal A and no mathematician can prove it to be wrong or right.

so stick to scientific questions or else don't lose your temper!

Why do you have to respond with such anger and act demeaning? That makes me think that you are actually talking about yourself in the first paragraph and are not really confident.

A scientific theory is the best explaination for an observable phenomenon. In this case the observable phenomenon is evolution and evolutionary theory is the best explaination. Marx's theories are not scientific theories so when you relate the two, it just shows your ignorance of the subject.

Edited by FurthurBB

@ Alien Abducter - so what do we have here another supporter of the Monkey/planet of apes theorist ...hahahhaha...

you darwinists really have alot in common, not only you like the fact that you are all originally monkeys but also you make spelling mistakes! probably that's why you believe so... hahahhahah

by the way, I can scientifically prove that the monkey theory is nothing more than a justin bieber song... it only attracts stupid teenagers ... hahahhahahah

Again with the same tone when people are being respectful to you. It does not bode well for your point.

I was a vegetarian for years, until I met my boyfriend and fell off the wagon. Now I eat meat maybe once or twice a week. I grew up on a farm where we killed and ate all our own meat, except for the occasional pig, duck or turkey that neighbours exchanged with us. I feel much healthier when I am vegetarian. I would get my protein from beans, peas, mushrooms, lentils. I would rarely use meat substitutes, because they're so heavily processed, and I wanted my food to be as uncomplicated as possible. I think it takes a lot of time to learn how to do vegetarian meals, where high protein vegetables are included in the recipe, instead of just slapping some spuds and carrots on a plate, next to a lump of cold, unappetising tofu. That is not being a vegetarian. That is bl**dy revolting. I can totally understand people hating the idea of becoming vegetarian if that is what they think it is.

I do really love tempeh, though. Even my cat loves it.

A workmate recently introduced me to Quorn mince, which was AMAZING! We use it when we can't get to the halal butcher, when we cook for Muslim clients. I generally consider beef mince to be the most boring form of meat, and when we use Quorn in lasagne and tacos, I can't tell the difference. It is sorcery.

Soylent green is a comin

LOL. I think that this is quite a way away from that.

I think the future of protein production will come from bacteria (They have been experiementing with this already in Japan.) http://www.digitaltrends.com/international/japanese-scientists-creates-meat-out-of-feces/ , and insects, which are almost purely protein.

The idea that we may have to turn to a no-meat diet is not a new one. This may become a reality as our population grows. In fact it may lead to people being healthier overall. The consumption of animal programs leads many to develop health problems such as obesity, stroke and heart disease. Humans are omnivore. We tend to forget that in our culture.

Now, I am not a vegan, nor am I a vegetarian. I love bacon. I love beef, chicken, fish. I was raised on meat and potatoes. I respect those who do not eat meat of animal products, but I love the way it tastes. If I had to switch in my life-time I would sad.

I've tried to-fu. Maybe it wasn't prepared as it should, but I didn't like it. I think I could cope if they made it taste like meat. As long as that burger tastes like beef or like chichen I could make do. They have already been changing our food. For example the raspberry flavoring found in many foods comes from the anal gland of beavers. Because it is not synthsized they can called it 'natural flavouring'. Most don't know, but if it tastes like raspberry I don't care.

Overall I think that the future requires many of us to stop cringing at the changes we may need to made. Bacteria produced proteins. Insects. If it tastes like food, I will eat it.

We use a pressure cooker to batch prepare beans. We then freezer them in usable portions which works out massively cheaper than buying beans by the tin.

Br Cornelius

If you freeze the prepared beans, it helps break down the cellulose fibres within the bean. These cellulose fibres are what cause the flatulence, because your intestines have to work so hard to digest them. Freezing them causes the water molecules between the fibres to expand, which snaps the fibres. I just bought a pressure cooker, I am so pumped to try these fart-free beans!

@Further BB & abducter,

you disappointed me big time guys! I explained myself like a million time and nobody understood anything from what I said. The only respectful person in fact was the user who I answered his two questions and who I happened to be interested in his points.

@ Further BB, you took the initiative to comment on what I said. Do you usuall disucss issues with ignorant people?! because I don't!

@ abducter --- you said you wanted someone to show good points on the topic of evolution. I asked three questions. Instead of challenging them, you accused me of derailing... hahhahahhaah....

And by the way, the topic you are discussing is stupid. Simply because of the following:

1- it's a scam! earth resources are more than enough... They are selling you this Shi...t to find excuses for wars. Plus you among anyone else shouldn't believe this becuase Natural Selection should take verrrrry good care of this!

2- Scientists are extremely prepared for the upcoming shortage which will not take place until very longggggggg time. There are plans for space colonization and the Matrix pills that imitate protein (it tastes like chicken, remember!)

3- how do the comments of some users about how they used to be vegans and etc.... relate to this scientific topic and doesn't derail!!!!!

Oh Please!!!!! And anger in my tone you say! I never get angry! I am the last person who would get angry in an argument ...because I love "viable" arguments.

you made me sound like Jack Nicholson "You want the truth, you can't handle the truth!"

Asta la vista baby!

@Further BB & abducter,

you disappointed me big time guys! I explained myself like a million time and nobody understood anything from what I said. The only respectful person in fact was the user who I answered his two questions and who I happened to be interested in his points.

@ Further BB, you took the initiative to comment on what I said. Do you usuall disucss issues with ignorant people?! because I don't!

@ abducter --- you said you wanted someone to show good points on the topic of evolution. I asked three questions. Instead of challenging them, you accused me of derailing... hahhahahhaah....

And by the way, the topic you are discussing is stupid. Simply because of the following:

1- it's a scam! earth resources are more than enough... They are selling you this Shi...t to find excuses for wars. Plus you among anyone else shouldn't believe this becuase Natural Selection should take verrrrry good care of this!

2- Scientists are extremely prepared for the upcoming shortage which will not take place until very longggggggg time. There are plans for space colonization and the Matrix pills that imitate protein (it tastes like chicken, remember!)

3- how do the comments of some users about how they used to be vegans and etc.... relate to this scientific topic and doesn't derail!!!!!

Oh Please!!!!! And anger in my tone you say! I never get angry! I am the last person who would get angry in an argument ...because I love "viable" arguments.

you made me sound like Jack Nicholson "You want the truth, you can't handle the truth!"

Asta la vista baby!

Hmmm ... more of the same. Oh well, I guess it is easier to point out your own flaws in others. I know children do that all the time but usually grow out of it. As far as talking with someone ignorant, we are all ignorant of something. If you never talk to anyone who is ignorant than you must never talk to anyone.

I was a vegetarian for years, until I met my boyfriend and fell off the wagon. Now I eat meat maybe once or twice a week. I grew up on a farm where we killed and ate all our own meat, except for the occasional pig, duck or turkey that neighbours exchanged with us. I feel much healthier when I am vegetarian. I would get my protein from beans, peas, mushrooms, lentils. I would rarely use meat substitutes, because they're so heavily processed, and I wanted my food to be as uncomplicated as possible. I think it takes a lot of time to learn how to do vegetarian meals, where high protein vegetables are included in the recipe, instead of just slapping some spuds and carrots on a plate, next to a lump of cold, unappetising tofu. That is not being a vegetarian. That is bl**dy revolting. I can totally understand people hating the idea of becoming vegetarian if that is what they think it is.

I do really love tempeh, though. Even my cat loves it.

A workmate recently introduced me to Quorn mince, which was AMAZING! We use it when we can't get to the halal butcher, when we cook for Muslim clients. I generally consider beef mince to be the most boring form of meat, and when we use Quorn in lasagne and tacos, I can't tell the difference. It is sorcery.

Quorn is also pretty processed and contains egg whites so it is not for vegans.

Hmmm ... more of the same. Oh well, I guess it is easier to point out your own flaws in others. I know children do that all the time but usually grow out of it. As far as talking with someone ignorant, we are all ignorant of something. If you never talk to anyone who is ignorant than you must never talk to anyone.

Nah, everybody she talks to communicates with the same ritualistic fomulae and bonmots. If you do that as a group you can hide the fact that you know nothing quite well.

• Like 1

Cattle fed only grass is low in cholesterol. Its the way they are fed that makes beef bad for you.

Umm...Do you know what cholesterol is? Cholesterol is a type of fat which is almost exclusively produced by animal cells for animal cells. They serve as precurors to hormones and to stabilize the cell membrane. Cholesterol and fat are not the same.

We need cholesterol, but we can make it. The cholesterol we ingest reduces what we need to made. Ex. (Simplified terms)

Required Amount = Diet + Production

10 = 5 + 5 - Balanced - Healthy

10 = 7 + 3 - Balanced - Healthy

10 = 10 + 0 - Balanced - Healthy

10= 25 + 0 - Unbalanced, 15 excess - Unhealthy Prolonged trend leads to clogging of the arteries.

Grass as a plants and grains have very little cholesterol. How does what a caw eats affect the level of cholesterol? It seems to be the amount of cholesterol, found in meat, one eats which puts one over the edge of health.

I eat meat. I love the way it tastes, but it seems like quite a leap to suggest it's the diet of the cow and not the volume of consumption.

Portion sizes have gotten so large that people feel the need to blame someone else for thier health. A serving of meat is 3 oz. Many steaks are 6,8,10 or 12 oz. Given the recomended intake of 2-3 servings daily, an 8 oz steak fullfils your daily needs, but to adhere to these healthy standard, you would need to have a vegan breakfast and lunch.

So instead of blaming the cows diet, which most farmers feed a variety of food, I might suggest people examine their diets.

I would be more than willing to side with you on this, but unless you show me some scientific documents proving this, my science background tells me that you have been misinformed.

you haven't raised attractive points to take part in. The only one that caught my attention where those two questions which I happened to have answers to. I don't see any other good questions in here and I promise you when I see ones, I will definitely have my time around you guys

Might I ask If you graduated from highschool? The true mark of an educated mind is the ability to entertain ideas without believing them.

I have known many creationists which make some pausible points based on science. You have only offered oppinion. I contend that you are either a troll or very uneducated in science and biology. I suggest that you understand the ideas being put-forward before trying to counter them. If you wish to argue in favour of you beliefs you need to know how to do this logically. You show no signs of doing this.

The existance of God is neither the point of this thread, nor is excluded by the concept of evolution.