Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Ancient mystery of why the sky is blue!?

MERC12

The answer is quite simple, most of the gases in our atmosphere are mostly colorless except for Oxygen, as Oxygen travels through your veins it makes them green because of the blue oxygen within it, so therefore the same oxygen that flows through all of our veins also is the most abundant gas with color in Earth's atmosphere, giving it a blue hue during the daytime as the Sun helps it emit its blue color!

Nitrogen (N2) 78.084%(colorless)

Oxygen (O2) 20.946%(Blue)

Argon (Ar) 0.934%(colorless)

Carbon dioxide (CO2) 0.0383 %(colorless)

Neon (Ne) 0.001818 %(clear in gas form)

Helium (He) 0.000524 %(coloress)

Methane (CH4) 0.0001745 %( coloress)

Krypton (Kr) 0.000114%( coloress)

Hydrogen (H2) 0.000055 %( coloress)

There is also a varying amount of water vapor, depending on the altitude and conditions where it is measured. Thanks and enjoy

references used: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Which_gases_make_up_the_earth's_atmosphere

The answer is quite simple, most of the gases in our atmosphere are mostly colorless except for Oxygen, as Oxygen travels through your veins it makes them green because of the blue oxygen within it, so therefore the same oxygen that flows through all of our veins also is the most abundant gas with color in Earth's atmosphere, giving it a blue hue during the daytime as the Sun helps it emit its blue color!

Nitrogen (N2) 78.084%(colorless)

Oxygen (O2) 20.946%(Blue)

Argon (Ar) 0.934%(colorless)

Carbon dioxide (CO2) 0.0383 %(colorless)

Neon (Ne) 0.001818 %(clear in gas form)

Helium (He) 0.000524 %(coloress)

Methane (CH4) 0.0001745 %( coloress)

Krypton (Kr) 0.000114%( coloress)

Hydrogen (H2) 0.000055 %( coloress)

There is also a varying amount of water vapor, depending on the altitude and conditions where it is measured. Thanks and enjoy

references used: http://wiki.answers....th's_atmosphere

Thats not techically correct. The reason the sky seems blue (its not actually made of anything blue) is that the make up of the atmosphere chemically contains elements that let the longer wavelengths of the light spectrum (red, orange, yellow) pass straight through and are not effected by the air. The shorter wavelengths (blues purple and greens) get absorbed and the blue in particular gets reflected and scattered all around. This is why when you look up, mostly what you see is blue.

At night, the light of the sun is being blocked by the earth itself and since there is no light, then no colors are reflected or absorbed. All we see is the blackness of space since the atmosphere itself is clear.

Sunsets are red and orange because at sunset the sun's light must pass through far more atmosphere to reach you. the longer wavelengths then are absorbed and reflected and we see the various colors of sunset.

Just wanted to clear all that up. Have a great day!

• Like 4

Oh and our veins (blue) are bluer in color because they are lacking in oxygen - the oxygen rich blood carried by our arteries is actually a brighter red. :tu:

• Like 3

Sorry, i was just answering why the sky is blue on here, not your unproven scientific data that you haven't proven on here as i have already proven!

* snip *

Edited by Saru
Removed personal insults, flame

And there was me thinking it was because blue was on special offer purchase when the decorating was due!

s1435.gif

• Like 1

- post removed -

Hey friend - I wasn't trying to start an arguments, only correct the misinformation that I saw. I teach Middle School Science so this is something I have some experience explaining. Not seeking anyone to bow down to me - just telling the truth. I don't see any need for name calling.

Welcome to UM - watch out though, it is your right of course to post all the inaccuracies you feel like - but you will likely get called on it from many different angles.

Have a great day. And relax a little. :tu:

Oh and here's a source for you....from Nasa - they know a little bit about the sky.

http://spaceplace.nasa.gov/blue-sky/

• Like 6

- post removed -

Wow, you seem to have a really bad attitude about the whole "open discussion" part of internet forums, especially for someone who's wrong about almost everything he posted. Orangepeaceful did a good job in pointing out mistakes you made, but there are actually a couple of big mistakes that show your explanation is funamentally wrong. By the way, everything I'm about to say has been proven, unlike the things you said. Firstly, oxygen is not blue. Your veins only look blue because you're seeing them through skin, which affects the color. Blood is red, and so are veins (darker red, because of less oxygen content) and arteries (brighter red). The "blood is blue" thing a lot of people seem to think is totally wrong. Secondly, nitrogen, what you showed as the gas with highest concentration in the atmosphere, is blue when light passes through it (don't high school chemistry classes do this experiment anymore?), and that's what the sky's color comes from; oxygen has nothing to do with it.

There's no reason to get mad because someone corrected you. Learn from your mistakes.

Woah, never seen someone blow a fuse over the colour of the sky.

Also isn't another reason your veins look blue/green is because your skin doesn't let blue lightwaves travel through it as easy as the other colours? And the blue light ends up reflecting off your veins and skin.

Correct me if i'm wrong, busy and using a phone at the moment, can't double check.

HOW DARE YOU DISAGREE WITH ME THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE I KNOW WHAT I AM SAYING IS RIGHT BECAUSE I SAID SO RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

• Like 3

HOW DARE YOU DISAGREE WITH ME THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE I KNOW WHAT I AM SAYING IS RIGHT BECAUSE I SAID SO RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

How dare you disagree with me and clearly show how I am wrong!! ARRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!! I AM ANGRY ABOUT TRIVIAL THINGS!!!

• Like 2

All I can do is laugh.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

• Like 1

Get off the booze and sober up.

I'd post a pot-kettle-black picture here, but we've all seen it before ;)

By the way, I'm right there in the middle of the unposted pic :D

seems like somebody has a problem with the sky. TROLLLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLO

• Like 1

I'd post a pot-kettle-black picture here, but we've all seen it before ;)

By the way, I'm right there in the middle of the unposted pic :D

Well, better that I say it then someone else, right?

<3 <3 <3

I could watch this for ever.

I was watching it forever. It took 15 minutes for it to download before I got the joke (I'm on dial up). Boy, am I slow!

• Like 1

Well, better that I say it then someone else, right?

Not necessarily, but it's a judgement that could come from any angle I suppose. The problem here is that we don't know if the person in question is just drunk or something else. My guess would point to the something else. So painting that in the same light as a legitimate and admitted drunk doesn't do the drunk any good at all. Speaking strictly as a a drunk myself of course...

• Like 2

I was watching it forever. It took 15 minutes for it to download before I got the joke (I'm on dial up). Boy, am I slow!

Dial up? Are you also from 1996? How're those free AOL disk treating you?

Not necessarily, but it's a judgement that could come from any angle I suppose. The problem here is that we don't know if the person in question is just drunk or something else. My guess would point to the something else. So painting that in the same light as a legitimate and admitted drunk doesn't do the drunk any good at all. Speaking strictly as a a drunk myself of course...

I am drunk right now. :tu:

• Like 2