Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

[Merged] Ape 'genius' impresses experts

ThePhantomFlanFlinger

Certain apes appear to be much smarter than others, with at least one chimpanzee now characterized as being "exceptional" when compared to other chimps.

The standout chimp, an adult female in her 20's named Natasha, scored off the charts in a battery of tests. The findings, published in the latest Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B, suggest that geniuses exist among non-humans, but that no one attribute constitutes intelligence.

http://news.discovery.com/animals/ape-genius-chimpanzee-intelligence-120826.html

• Like 2

(NaturalNews) A twenties-something "genius ape" named Natasha has been found to demonstrate more intelligence than a typical U.S. high school student. The findings have been published in the peer-reviewed science journal Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B.

As the paper documents, Natasha repeatedly demonstrates skills and reasoning that escape modern-day high school students. "The caretakers named Natasha as the smartest chimpanzee, precisely the same chimpanzee that our tests had revealed to be exceptional," wrote authors Esther Herrmann and Josep Call of the Max Planck Institute for Evolutionary Anthropology (reported at Discovery.com, link below).

More here

Why I am not surprised???

• Like 2

The article is tongue-in-cheek, but I do agree with this

"An ability to repeatedly escape the chimpanzee enclosure using planning skills."

Because if high school students had the same skills and intelligence they'd escape more often from their institutions.

• Like 2

The article is tongue-in-cheek, but I do agree with this

"An ability to repeatedly escape the chimpanzee enclosure using planning skills."

Because if high school students had the same skills and intelligence they'd escape more often from their institutions.

its not that hard to ditch school.
  • Like 1

its not that hard to ditch school.

I was referring to Paracelse' link

My post was also tongue-in-cheek.

Edited by QuiteContrary
  • Like 1

Not surprising. If you want to see problem solving in animals try keeping a bird feeder out of a squirrels paws. Easy to imagine a primate matching if not exceeding a rodents problem solving.

• Like 1

I want Natasha on UM, she would definitely outsmart a few members on here.

• Like 3

I want Natasha on UM, she would definitely outsmart a few members on here.

You can't have her! We need her for Congress!

• Like 3

Natasha clearly is a brilliant primate and I wonder what she's going to have to do next before we begin to acknowledge her message... She wants out. She wants to be free. Poor baby. She would probably take over the world.

I notice once again how females are smarter even in the animal kingdom. :clap:

• Like 1

She might have the mentally of a republican congressman but she shows things they cannot equal.

Actually I was thinking she could take Nancy Pelosi's place. Anyone (or thing) would be an improvement. My favorite Pelosism: "We have to pass this bill to find out what's in it." True genius on parade.

• Like 1

I've long said that chimpanzees and the other great apes rival us in intelligence. It's sheerly out of our own sense of arrogance that we exalt ourselves above them and declare our own species to be so high and mighty. I've worked with enough chimpanzees to see what they can do. And in many ways, they're really almost superior to us; certainly as far as physical abilities, at least.

• Like 1