Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Women now pregnant 2 weeks before conception

RockabyeBillie

A new law was signed by Arizona Governor Jan Brewer on Thursday that has abortion advocates up in arms. The new law, titled Women’s Health and Safety Act deems a woman pregnant 2 weeks before conception.

According to Planned Parenthood of Arizona lobbyist Michelle Steinberg, the law will reduce the amount of time a legal abortion can be obtained by women. Steinberg stated that, the law is our nation’s “most extreme piece of anti-abortion legislation.”

The bill was sponsored by Arizona State Rep. Kimberly Yee. Yee is also an ardent supporter of drug testing anyone who receives welfare assistance. She is considered by some to be an “extremist”.

Steinberg explained the law by saying, “The law defines pregnancy in a way that bans abortion two weeks before the other seven states who have similar laws. It calculates gestational age starting with the first day of the last menstrual period rather than the date of conception.”

Read more

So that's it! In Arizona, you're always pregnant!

Unless you don't conceive. Then you're not.

But you ARE. Because you MIGHT conceive!

But you may not...

It's like Shroedinger's cat, except they've created a stupidity paradox!

• Like 7

It never ceases to amaze me how asinine certain government policy is, and it seems that enforcing religious dogma by means of secular law, has something to do with it.

• Like 3

Is this because so many women are unaware of pregnancy for a two weeks to a month, and this is to compensate for that? That makes absolutely zero sense regardless of which side the the abortion argument you place yourself. You are pregnant when you are and not when you're not.

• Like 2

Jan Brewer makes me absolutely sick to my stomach. Shes by far the worst governor we have ever had and seems to have all the time in the world to just sit around making up the dumbest most nonsense laws ever. She needs a hobby.

• Like 2

Jan Brewer makes me absolutely sick to my stomach. Shes by far the worst governor we have ever had and seems to have all the time in the world to just sit around making up the dumbest most nonsense laws ever. She needs a hobby.

...or a boy friend...

• Like 3

She is so stupid. Isn't this the same woman that felt "threatened" by Obama?

Edit: I was referring to the governor, not the other idiot that proposed the law.

Edited by Imaginarynumber1
  • Like 1

I have defended Republicans on this forum before..

But god damn this is stupid as hell.

Just when you thought republicans couldn't get any more stupid with the abortion laws (or others) they out do themselves.

The dumping ground of the farthest right-wingers and exiled pseudoconservatives from California, it makes me less likely wanting to visit Arizona again. xD

Such a law Gov. Brewer signed will be challenged in the supreme courts and will ultimately be repealed. You gave another reason not to harm any woman, you know..."never hit a woman" in case she's pregnant before conception. OMIGOD, someone send Obama to the Sky Harbor Airport to debate her again.

First of all, not american. But that hasn't stopped me before.

I can usually rationalise behaviour like this, and find some sort of discussion point to talk about both sides of the argument...

I can't find one. I honestly don't understand. Do they expect women to get an abortion on before the baby is conceived?

What would happen if a women went into a clinic to get that done?

"I think I might get pregnant in the next two weeks, so I'm getting my abortion done in advance."

• Like 2

sad to see politicians are willing to come up with the most retarded things just to get some attention and a couple of votes, from misguided ppl.

• 2 weeks later...

Ya know,as you sit here and look at these threads ,Arizona is a seriously human rights hostile state ,especially against women and minorities.

• Like 1

I just dislike how the governments, both state and federal, can just flippantly pass and strike down laws that only deal with one gender.

• Like 1

Ok. i get this. This law is supporting the notion that , Because, conception took place, the Ovum(egg)(gestation) involved was the beginning of the life involved. I'm not supporting the law.. but i understand the 'reasoning'.

• Like 1

Ok. i get this. This law is supporting the notion that , Because, conception took place, the Ovum(egg)(gestation) involved was the beginning of the life involved. I'm not supporting the law.. but i understand the 'reasoning'.

Beat me to it. I get the intention but disagree with how and why they are implementing.

As for the insanity of the "far right" one only has to look at the insanity of the "far left". Please, lets stop this. This law is absolutely absurd but is it really any more absurd as partial birth abortion?

Let's see here...

1 week= 7 days

2 weeks= 14 days

How long does it take for a fetus to develop a heartbeat?

14 days.

14 days= 2 weeks.

What this law is stating that once the egg becomes fertilized it begins growing automatically, which is true, so although the baby is not alive since it has no heartbeat yet, it is still growing.

English: A woman IS pregnant 2 weeks before conception.

Edited by Wildchild41

Conception is the process of the fusion of the ovum with a sperm. How can you be pregnant before that happens?

That happens within hours of sex. 8 at the most. Thats still 2 weeks prior to reciving a heartbeat.

But that has nothing to do with this law anyway. Quoting the article: Steinberg explained the law by saying, “The law defines pregnancy in a way that bans abortion two weeks before the other seven states who have similar laws. It calculates gestational age starting with the first day of the last menstrual period rather than the date of conception.” First day of the last menstrual cycle, so waaaaay before actual conception.