Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Do you have a Personality Disorder?

Bling

I have known people with PD and they would never admit that they had a problem, it is always everyone else. My way or the highway is sort of the way they operate. Well, from my limited experience of course.

peace

mark

After visiting a psychiatrist off and on for the past two years, he pegged me as having a 'self-defeating' personality disorder. Basically, I act in a way that causes problems for myself that otherwise could have been avoided. Best example would be any romantic relationship I've had, where I'd always accuse my significant other of 'not caring enough', 'liking someone else', or just being mean to them, snapping at them, ignoring them for no real reason. Which is why I'm now happily single, which in an odd way has made me a somewhat happier person, though I do miss romantic love.

If you crave sex often and have it on a regular basis does that mean you have an OCD. :su

• Like 1

SPD Schizoid personality disorder, but it has served me well all my life. I never even considered there was something "wrong" with me til someone suggested I have/am SPD. I looked it up and yep that's me. I don't want help for something that "I" consider OK./normal for me..

What does anyone have too gain from being diagnosed what a personality disorder? Even if I was 100% sure I had qualify and had one I would never waste my time to get it officialized. For what?

If anything it just insulting. "Hey your personality is broken. Let us fix it"

Edited by Kazoo
  • Like 1

Helps to learn the slight weaknesses in your 'personality' I suppose. For me, after that 'diagnosis', I've figured out how to be a happier person.

• Like 2

What does anyone have too gain from being diagnosed what a personality disorder? Even if I was 100% sure I had qualify and had one I would never waste my time to get it officialized. For what?

Maybe to put an end to many questions the person it concerns has about it or why they are the way they are

As was in my case with being diagnosed with Aspergers Syndrome, which I only found out about because my son was diagnosed with it and my son and I are both identical in a lot of ways

It answered a lot of niggling questions I had always had about various things

It is not necessarily to get fixed or whatever as some or most conditions are unfixable or untreatable or they just want to pump a whole heap of tablets into You, which can make things worse in some cases

• Like 2

See a psychologist who does not prescribe meds instead of a psychiatrist who does if you want to remain med-free.

they say i do. but i just think everyone is a bit crazy and has something wrong with them, so i dont take it as rly (DP) but more as i have hurdles in life just like everyone else, and by looking threw this it seems im right :gun::tu:

"there is no such thing as problems in life, but challenges to overcome"

• Like 1

Perhaps you don't have a problem.

Diagnosis' are usually to degrees and can have multiple issues from different categories. In the US we have DSM IV codes for mental health. These help to categorize issues for better treatment.

If you feel you are doing fine with whatever disorder you felt fit, maybe you don't actually have a personality disorder.

If you had a serious case you'd be seeing the effects of it in your relationships,.in your job, school, everywhere. Negative stuff, out of control.

Then again, you could be denial.... :0 which doesn't help anyone.

But hey, it's your life.

I have known people with PD and they would never admit that they had a problem, it is always everyone else. My way or the highway is sort of the way they operate. Well, from my limited experience of course.

peace

mark

I would like to respectfully suggest that in fact it very often IS 'everyone else'! Modern society is very, very limited in what it deems acceptable behaviour and ways of living ones life. This starts with forcing all children into the same curriculum of full-time education at 4/5yrs old and it's pretty much downhill from then onwards. :unsure2:

SPD Schizoid personality disorder, but it has served me well all my life. I never even considered there was something "wrong" with me til someone suggested I have/am SPD. I looked it up and yep that's me. I don't want help for something that "I" consider OK./normal for me..

More power to ya! You are blessed if you can accept and appreciate yourself as you are, AND the people who are important to you accept and appreciate you as you are, too. This, surely, is what we would all like?

they say i do. but i just think everyone is a bit crazy and has something wrong with them, so i dont take it as rly (DP) but more as i have hurdles in life just like everyone else, and by looking threw this it seems im right :gun::tu:

"there is no such thing as problems in life, but challenges to overcome"

I agree with you, there needs to be a lot more acceptance AND APPRECIATION of who/what each of us is here, now. That's what the best counsellors(and homeopathists), do: they work from the place you are at NOW, accepting that state as valid.

(I am so excited: this is my first ever multi-quote! :w00t:)

Edited by ouija ouija
  • Like 3

For those of you unfamiliar with Personality Disorders I can recommend this article from the NHS website: http://www.nhs.uk/co...Definition.aspx

Is anyone brave enough to admit they have been officially diagnosed with a Personality Disorder (PD)? The reason I say 'brave enough' is because there is alot of stigma attached to the diagnosis of PD.

When someone experiences large amounts of distress which they cant cope with its called neurosis - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neurosis

Certain situations in life cause large amounts of distress - a family member dying, trauma, bankruptcy, commiting sins, being abused or neglected by your parents, there are lots of them. When the human mind cant cope with the distress then psychological defence mechanisms are triggered to resolve the situation and prevent you going insane.

Suppose you commit the sin of homosexuality then your defence mechanisms allow you to achieve self-delusion. You exclude God from your world view and you enter into a locked-in state of mind where all your perceptions are atheist.

Suppose you have an abusive parent who makes you feel defective then the defence mechanisms again allow you to achieve self-delusion. You develop a Narcissistic Personality Disorder (NPD) and adopt a eco-centric approach to life to get you past the distress.

Physical abuse, sexual abuse and abandonment triggers more extreme versions of NPD. These are sociopathic personality disorder (SPD) and psychopathic personality disroder (PPD). The next time you encounter a sociopath the likely cause is that they were abused, neglected and effectively left to bring themselves up.

You can always spot a neurotic individual because when you engage in polite conversation with them they react badly when you undermine their self-delusion. The reason for the hostility is you return them to the distress forcing them to either find a new way to cope with it or to shut you up and delude away what they've just heard. A internet forum is the perfect place to see this type of behaviour in action.

Sometimes distress is so extreme that it requires hallucinations to get a person past it. Such instances are no longer neurotic but psychotic. An example might be seeing God or the Devil after commiting a sin. In such cases the person needs sectioning.

Edited by Mr Right Wing

When someone experiences large amounts of distress which they cant cope with its called neurosis - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neurosis

Certain situations in life cause large amounts of distress - a family member dying, trauma, bankruptcy, commiting sins, being abused or neglected by your parents, there are lots of them. When the human mind cant cope with the distress then psychological defence mechanisms are triggered to resolve the situation and prevent you going insane.

Suppose you commit the sin of homosexuality then your defence mechanisms allow you to achieve self-delusion. You exclude God from your world view and you enter into a locked-in state of mind where all your perceptions are atheist.

Suppose you have an abusive parent who makes you feel defective then the defence mechanisms again allow you to achieve self-delusion. You develop a Narcissistic Personality Disorder (NPD) and adopt a eco-centric approach to life to get you past the distress.

Physical abuse, sexual abuse and abandonment triggers more extreme versions of NPD. These are sociopathic personality disorder (SPD) and psychopathic personality disroder (PPD). The next time you encounter a sociopath the likely cause is that they were abused, neglected and effectively left to bring themselves up.

You can always spot a neurotic individual because when you engage in polite conversation with them they react badly when you undermine their self-delusion. The reason for the hostility is you return them to the distress forcing them to either find a new way to cope with it or to shut you up and delude away what they've just heard. A internet forum is the perfect place to see this type of behaviour in action.

Sometimes distress is so extreme that it requires hallucinations to get a person past it. Such instances are no longer neurotic but psychotic. An example might be seeing God or the Devil after commiting a sin. In such cases the person needs sectioning.

Where is the dislike button?

Neurosis was removed from the DSMV in 1980. Please quit being so outdated.

Where is the dislike button?

Neurosis was removed from the DSMV in 1980. Please quit being so outdated.

Someone who didnt read the link on neurosis - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neurosis - and as a result is trying to rewrite psychology. His mistake is that he thinks homosexuality is neurosis and because homosexuality was removed from the mental illness list he thinks that applies to neurosis too.

Listen to this very carefully - homosexuality is not causd by neurosis. It can result in neurosis if you have someone who believes in God having a gay experience. The reason is the conflict between religion and homosexuality triggers distress in the individual.

I hope you take the time to read stuff properly in future.

I've enjoyed reading all your replies, even the flippant ones, so thanks for contributing and being so honest! *hugs*

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

There is much in the diagnostic language of mental illness that is labeling and offensive. I believe in the new DSM they may change the name of the category, there's been much discussion about it. Lots of practitioners are fighting hard to change this stigmatizing name.

So many practitioners (and people in general) need to learn to use person first language - not to say someone is, for instance, borderline or bipolar, but rather that they have the disorder. People who have disorders, many of whom are are in a weakened state as it is, end up taking on the diagnosis as their identity, or having to fight the stigma that results from such language that makes a person be seen as their diagnosis.

I have bipolar and my mother has borderline personality disorder with sadistic tendencies, but I have to admit, it takes a conscious effort not to label her as borderline and sadistic. I even have to correct my therapist. It doesn't help me heal if I see her as a disorder instead of a flawed human being - as we all are.

It isnt individual that have disorder. It isnt individual that is ill. World is ill. Life is chaos and irational. World is rotting.

All so called disorders are normal human ractions to outside conditions.

Always get a 2nd 3rd opinion before you take it to heart especially if they try to diagnose in a short amount of time. Make sure that whoever is diagnosing you is using more then a checklist or just a few lines of words coming from your mouth. After you get diagnosed (wrongly) with a disorder good luck trying to convince anybody otherwise which is really stupid.

The stigma just isn't on that list from that site either. The things that kitty listed as well causes just as many problems.

It isnt individual that have disorder. It isnt individual that is ill. World is ill. Life is chaos and irational. World is rotting.

All so called disorders are normal human ractions to outside conditions.

This thinking is immature and just painfully ignorant. Please try finding out about disorders before pretending they are normal reactions to a world that you feel has wronged you.
  • Like 4

Uh yeah well I have a personality disorder. I have never been able to click with society or people no matter how hard I try. I spend most my free time In a daze sort of dream world far from reality.

The funny thing is I have such a great understanding of the world and all. But I am unable to trust people and my moods Change dramatically tons of times throughout the day. So I might as well be an alien because I just don't see myself clicking anytime soon

Uh yeah well I have a personality disorder. I have never been able to click with society or people no matter how hard I try. I spend most my free time In a daze sort of dream world far from reality.

The funny thing is I have such a great understanding of the world and all. But I am unable to trust people and my moods Change dramatically tons of times throughout the day. So I might as well be an alien because I just don't see myself clicking anytime soon

Have you been diagnosed with one?

Have you been diagnosed with one?

Yea sorry I went off the subject. They diagnosed me with Post traumatic stress disorder and tried to prescribe to xanax but I flat out refused and walked out.