Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Project Outcast?

Tilig

I found this site the other day on a big master list of creepy blogs, and it's pretty interesting. I think this is the right place to place it...

Basically some guy moved into a new house and found notes in the attic, and read through them. Along with the notes was an unpublished novella seemingly left there by the same person. He found the book and the notes distressing, and shared the notes online on his blog. They were about some conspiracy. He kept looking into an organization (Project Outcast) who seemed responsible for the novella. The book was released too, eventually. Here's the link to the site;

http://projectoutcast.wordpress.com/

I haven't read the book yet, but I guess I will soon. Does anyone know it's actually for, is it a start-up for some big upcoming project or something?

Also, if anyone can find that big list of blogs where I found this, does anyone know where THAT is??

Edited by Tilig

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tilig

• rashore

• Wookietim

• spud the mackem

Well, if you hit the site with the list of blogs somewhat recently, you might be able to find it again in your browsers history.

My two cents... A clever setup by the author of the story to promote the book. Several writers are doing this sort of thing now a days. They start up a mystery blog, perhaps a few videos to lend credence to their book. Kind of like Blair Witch Project.

I can't remember the authors name, but there was one on here a few months ago that had a rather nice web presence to promote her books, but it kind of fell to shreds once it was presented on the UM boards.

The notes and book could be from someone that is delusional.

Looks like a book promotion.. nothing more..

Also, the blog started, and finished, less than a month ago. Hardly some long harrowing tale if you ask me. The guy should have kept going with it at least a little longer.. to establish himself on the internet, before faking his death and creating his "friends" persona...

Lame. 2/10

Edited by Cpl599

I can't open the link within the link sadly. Can someone give me a snippet?

I can't open the link within the link sadly. Can someone give me a snippet?

Yeah, ok. Here's an image from the guy's site;

screen-shot-2011-08-17-at-16-37-361.png?w=352&h=264

Edited by Tilig

It's an 82 page download. On the last page is a dedication:

"This book would have been an impossible task without the help of everyone. From the early stages of planning, to when the story was finally in motion, enormous effort has been provided by everyone collaborating in the creation of “Outcast”.

Thank you very much for all the help you have given for this book to come into fruition. This has been a climax for our lives, and your talent has blossomed. A sincere thanks must be given not only to all these people, but also people of the past who have been trying to this day to help those who have gone."

It's an interesting little read, could make for a backbone to some good urban legend, yep. Probably would be a good script for a short indie movie too. There are some pretty serious loopholes to be sure between the book, blog, and youtube videos. Too much of the detail does not really check out.

So again, I would say this is a fictional writing. The author(s) are doing a web spread to promote the legend and interest in the script/book.

Tilig, did you have any luck using your browsers history to find the master list of blog action you got this off off? It would be kind of cool to check out what else they have to offer.

It's an 82 page download. On the last page is a dedication:

"This book would have been an impossible task without the help of everyone. From the early stages of planning, to when the story was finally in motion, enormous effort has been provided by everyone collaborating in the creation of “Outcast”.

Thank you very much for all the help you have given for this book to come into fruition. This has been a climax for our lives, and your talent has blossomed. A sincere thanks must be given not only to all these people, but also people of the past who have been trying to this day to help those who have gone."

It's an interesting little read, could make for a backbone to some good urban legend, yep. Probably would be a good script for a short indie movie too. There are some pretty serious loopholes to be sure between the book, blog, and youtube videos. Too much of the detail does not really check out.

So again, I would say this is a fictional writing. The author(s) are doing a web spread to promote the legend and interest in the script/book.

Tilig, did you have any luck using your browsers history to find the master list of blog action you got this off off? It would be kind of cool to check out what else they have to offer.

If it was on my browser's history I would've found it, but it isn't because I found the list ages ago :unsure2: I'll keep trying to find it again. And yes, it does seem like some sort of urban legend promotion. I've read the book and found it pretty creepy, so I did some research on the "demon cat" that's mentioned. The story seems to relate to this urban myth; http://www.haunted-b...ern_Ireland.htm

Edited by Tilig

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well, I've been busy lately but I've finally gotten round to finishing reading that "Outcast" book. I must say it's very chilling... Anyway it'll be interesting to see what comes next regarding this book, whether it's an indie film or whatnot :yes:

Edited by Tilig

Why would someone leave a book in the attic ?.If it was any good they would have taken it with them ...yes ?

Why would someone leave a book in the attic ?.If it was any good they would have taken it with them ...yes ?

I thought the same thing, but I guess the blog writer was trying to imply it was too horrifying to read or even keep...?

I found this site the other day on a big master list of creepy blogs, and it's pretty interesting. I think this is the right place to place it...

Basically some guy moved into a new house and found notes in the attic, and read through them. Along with the notes was an unpublished novella seemingly left there by the same person. He found the book and the notes distressing, and shared the notes online on his blog. They were about some conspiracy. He kept looking into an organization (Project Outcast) who seemed responsible for the novella. The book was released too, eventually. Here's the link to the site;

http://projectoutcast.wordpress.com/

I haven't read the book yet, but I guess I will soon. Does anyone know it's actually for, is it a start-up for some big upcoming project or something?

Also, if anyone can find that big list of blogs where I found this, does anyone know where THAT is??

I think I have heard of this - and if I am not mistaken it was a really clever setup for a novel.

You know... it occurs to me... You know what would be perfect for a horror movie? Start a youtube video blog. I don't know - make it a movie review blog. Do it for awhile (three, maybe four weekly entries). Then all of a sudden, have something weird happen in the background - a door opens or closes or a strangely shaped shadow passes by. Then slowly switch the blog to you trying to discover what is going on with a slowly escalating set of incidents happening and caught on video. For the very last entry, say that you are going to really figure this out because you found something odd in your basement and you will have more to come in the next installment... and then never post again.

But make sure that you never let on that it is a work of fiction...

I think I have heard of this - and if I am not mistaken it was a really clever setup for a novel.

You know... it occurs to me... You know what would be perfect for a horror movie? Start a youtube video blog. I don't know - make it a movie review blog. Do it for awhile (three, maybe four weekly entries). Then all of a sudden, have something weird happen in the background - a door opens or closes or a strangely shaped shadow passes by. Then slowly switch the blog to you trying to discover what is going on with a slowly escalating set of incidents happening and caught on video. For the very last entry, say that you are going to really figure this out because you found something odd in your basement and you will have more to come in the next installment... and then never post again.

But make sure that you never let on that it is a work of fiction...

Yeah it would be interesting if whoever made this blog made something like that! By the way, where exactly did you hear of the blog? Did you find it on the same list I found it on, or somewhere else?

I haven't seen a marketing technique like this before...

This has actually intrigued me, it adds a sense of mystery and horror.

I find it interesting that you can take it as one of two ways, either: A cheap marketing trick or An extra element to the story. Maybe after he "discovered and read the book" he only had a month before the horrors inside would consume him...

Edited by TheLogic

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, after searching tirelessly for more information I found a video that was uploaded to Youtube that seems to have something to do with this. I don't know if it's by the same guy who made the blog and book, but that logo on the blog is visible in the video as well. Here it is;

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8IsoZsR8Jk&feature=g-all-u[/media]

Any thoughts on what this whole thing could mean? It's weird how diverse this thing is getting...

Edited by Tilig