Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

More NASA UFO's?

Alisdair.MacDonald

Are these UFO's?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Do these videos contain images of UFO's?

....my interest in astronomy negates Hoagland's claims at face value. They make absolutely no sense, and I suspect that 99.9% of astronomers would be able to do little more than chuckle at Hoagland's suggestions.

Oh, I think most astronomers do more than chuckle at Mr. Hoagland. I suspect comments like, "What a load of BS" are fairly common.

• Like 2

Oh, I think most astronomers do more than chuckle at Mr. Hoagland. I suspect comments like, "What a load of BS" are fairly common.

Frankly, I don't even think that "most astronomers" give Mr. Hoagland so much attention as to even bother....

Cheers,

Badeskov

Thanks mate. I found it myself, but I like links with your posts as they are always very much worth the read I find.

I agree, I thought Dr Mitchell held his own very well. Much better than the Bill Nye interview IMHO.

Surely NASA's involvement is due to the large number of assumptions made in error about the Source of Edgar's information. As per the many links MacGuffin left, reporters are more than willing to take that leap and make the link to NASA themselves. We can see ourselves that many posters were under the impression that Edgar implicated NASA when he had not.

As opposed to 20 or more years of UFO chasing, my interest in astronomy negates Hoagland's claims at face value. They make absolutely no sense, and I suspect that 99.9% of astronomers would be able to do little more than chuckle at Hoagland's suggestions.

Well yes, NASA seem to have only responded to a question posed by the producer of the Kerrang radio show. I can only see this part that would have him involve NASA:

Margerrison: DO YOU THINK OTHER PEOPLE WHO WERE INVOLVED WITH THE MOON LANDINGS KNOW ABOUT THIS?

Mitchell: Some of them do. But again, like other people, if you are interested enough to dig into it and want to know about it, you can know about it.

I can picture the call to NASA now....''we have just interviewed Edgar Mitchell who has claimed that alien contact is real and there has been a cover up''. NASA then put out a statement that they do not agree with Edgars 'opinion on this and have no knowledge about UFO's....

from here the press spiraled out of control and this whole episode now read as Mitchell says ET is real and that NASA and the Government have been covering it up.....NASA denies allegations...

(these reporters are indeed lazy at best dishonest at worst....(reminds me of a reporter called Joe :) )

of course the bottom line is that he may have meant people from NASA when he mentions moon landings however he quite clearly says this is not the case in the later interviews....

(although I admit to being one of those thinking that he did 'loosly implicate people at NASA.....I was obviously wrong so Boon was right not to accept the compromise offered :) )

• Like 2

Wow. 2012, and all we still get are blurry blotches and points of light for pictures, and over fertile imaginations to determine what they are. Are they satellites, orbital debris, Marley's Ghost, or Elites flying Covenant scout ships? Since we can only reference our imaginations, they can be anything!

Wow. 2012, and all we still get are blurry blotches and points of light for pictures, and over fertile imaginations to determine what they are. Are they satellites, orbital debris, Marley's Ghost, or Elites flying Covenant scout ships? Since we can only reference our imaginations, they can be anything!

There are a number of reports that are unidentified and in fact cannot be identified as anything, yet they exist just the same. Jeff Challender found many of them on teh space shuttle missions as well.

hiya quillius... i was havin a bit of fun there... are u referring to the sts77 pic i posted above?

i dunno what it is... could be.debris *cough* blackops... :clap:

http://www.abovetops...hread470427/pg1

no I was meaning the Prometheus trailer....just trying to be a little sarcastic and humorous (obviously failing miserably)

as for the sts pics..........ever considered the blackops on ufo type craft being named 'debris' wouldnt that be interesting?

Edited by quillius

no I was meaning the Prometheus trailer....just trying to be a little sarcastic and humorous (obviously failing miserably)

lol... i first thought that you were joking & then i got zapped in a dilemma and thought it's better not to make an ass of myself... :innocent:

as for the sts pics..........ever considered the blackops on ufo type craft being named 'debris' wouldnt that be interesting?

oderacs_patch.gif

^^^ something to do with debris, not blackops tho... :P

Edited by mcrom901
  • Like 1

lol... i first thought that you were joking & then i got zapped in a dilemma and thought it's better not to make an ass of myself... :innocent:

oderacs_patch.gif

maybe I should have said 'Venus' rather than 'flares' :blush:

you have a knack of always find the right image no matter how obscure the target is..... :tu:

• Like 1

oderacs_patch.gif

Metallic balls!!

• Like 2

maybe I should have said 'Venus' rather than 'flares' :blush:

hehee... now u're gettin obscure...

2d9dd02a006b.gif

you have a knack of always find the right image no matter how obscure the target is..... :tu:

:nw:

• Like 2

There are a number of reports that are unidentified and in fact cannot be identified as anything, yet they exist just the same. Jeff Challender found many of them on teh space shuttle missions as well.

I'm glad you posted that video. I saw it a while ago and couldn't find it.

Before seeing it, I always wondered why shuttle night images are crappy.

It does seem deliberate to me.

May Jim Oberg will chime in with a comment. I am interested to know if there is a legitimate reason for the poor quality of the transmissions!

I'm glad you posted that video. I saw it a while ago and couldn't find it.

Before seeing it, I always wondered why shuttle night images are crappy.

It does seem deliberate to me.

May Jim Oberg will chime in with a comment. I am interested to know if there is a legitimate reason for the poor quality of the transmissions!

It's very hard to get any discussion going about Jeff Challender since he had so many good UFO pictures from the shuttle missions that no one has ever been able to identify.

The technical specs of the cameras used are included in the console operations handbook, which i scanned and linked to on my home page.

The cameras seemed to us to work fine for their purpose, which was to monitor activity in and around the payload bay. They were also used as navigation sensors during maneuvers with other satellites. They had reasonable low light snsitivity, especially when the AGC shifted to maximum gain.

Then in the 1990s they got assigned to Skeet Vaughan's lightning sprite search, and were specifcally aimed, whenever possible, toward the receding horizon on night passes. That's where most of the youtube space UFO videos came from.

• Like 2

It's very hard to get any discussion going about Jeff Challender since he had so many good UFO pictures from the shuttle missions that no one has ever been able to identify.

Well, I admit that Jeff was never able to identify any of them, but when I bought and watched his video about eight years ago, it all looked like ordinary stuff to me -- shuttle dandruff, structural and window relfections, common occurrences.

Jeff got a lot of pleasure from watching the videos and imagining he was onto some deep dark secret. Considering his health situation it was a pleasure nobody really wanted to deny him. But he never really understood anything about normal space flight technology, orbital motion, communications, etc. Good example: his passion for believing the space-to-Earth communications 'Zone of Exclusion' was a reserved region of top secret communications about UFOs.

The truth can be a tough thing to enlighten ! :no:

It's hard enough when people just don't know the basic facts about some environment, such as spaceflight. It's even harder when they THINK they DO 'know' so many erroneous things about it. Jeff was a good example, but others have posted on this thread recently -- folks who made guesses or suppositions or imaginations of what OUGHT to be true about unearthly conditions in space, that lead them logically in false directions.

Bestg example -- the very specific illumination conditions under which the most notorious of the 'shuttle UFO' videos occurred, just past sunrise with camera looking back towards still-dark Earth horizon. This creates the BEST conditions for small drifting nearby objects to be brightly visible, to become visiible as they drift out of shuttle shadow ['materialize'], and to be caught up in effluent flows from thrusters, water/gas dumps, flash evaporator activation, and other normal processes.

The amazing 'coincidence' of this timing feature of the videos was never noticed -- or if noticed, not understood -- by the UFO world. They didn't care about the basics such as illumination conditions, and withheld such data if they had it.

The results of this enforced ignorance and misinformation are easy to see -- enthusiasm for interpretations of the videos that are inaccurate.

Without grappling with this primary source of misinterpretation, any serious study of really interesting potential sightings is stillborne.

• Like 2

-- the very specific illumination conditions under which the most notorious of the 'shuttle UFO' videos occurred, just past sunrise with camera looking back towards still-dark Earth horizon. This creates the BEST conditions for small drifting nearby objects to be brightly visible, to become visiible as they drift out of shuttle shadow ['materialize'], and to be caught up in effluent flows from thrusters, water/gas dumps, flash evaporator activation, and other normal processes.

I have to admit that being a believer in the ETH, there were a few (not many) of the shuttle nightime videos which I felt in the past MAY have been caused by extraterrestrial intelligence. That is, they reinforced my leaning towards the ETH.

However, the fact that you pointed out the circumstances in which many of these video were shot, I have reviewed many them with a more skeptical mind.

lol...Damn you! I feel like a 5 year old kid and you have told me Santa is a huge lie!

Sorry to disappoint firm believers, I have to stand by my conviction that credit earned is credit due.

If the truth is to be determined wrt the ETH, then the only progress we can make is with a mutual understanding of the viewpoints of both "believers" and "skeptics"

The truth is likely to be found within the gray zone of common ground somewhere between each polarity.

• Like 2

The truth is likely to be found within the gray zone of common ground somewhere between each polarity.

That's the best place to look for it, and i've found enough stuff of genuine interest --

not THE prize, perhaps, but many more-than-merely-consolation prizes, to keep looking.

And for spaceflight, always keeping eyes peeled for the unusual is one method of minimizing risk.

There has been at least one case where NOT seeing a 'UFO' may have led to fatal consequences --

Columbia, in 2003. The broke-off piece of the wing leading edge SHOULD have been naked-eye

and/or camera detectable as it drifted away, but nobody was looking. Seeing it in time COULD have

opened opportunites for rescue or repair -- but we never got the chance to even TRY.

Besides, stands to reason, one of the best opportunities to detect traces of another spacefaring civilization would be what we come across on our own spacefaring. Always be prepared to be astonished.