Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Butterflies 'more endangered than tigers’

Still Waters

Bumblebees, beetles and butterflies are at greater risk of extinction than lions and tigers, according to a global study by the Zoological Society of London.

The biggest study of invertebrates ever conducted found that one in five is at risk of dying out. This can affect humans by threatening crops and food supplies.

Prof Jonathan Baillie, the director of conservation at the Zoological Society, said insects, slugs and snails may not be as glamorous as lions or dolphins but are just as important to providing the food we eat and the countryside we love.

“These critters form the basis of many of the essential benefits that nature provides; earthworms recycle waste nutrients, coral reefs support a myriad of life forms and bees help pollinate crops,” he said. “If they disappear, humans could soon follow.”

http://www.telegraph...han-tigers.html

What a gorgeous blue butterfly that is in the pic. :)

• Like 2

In my backyard, I have a garden with blooming with flowers and herbs. I've certainly noticed a decrease in butterflies and bumblebees. I used to see them frequently years ago, but not so much anymore. I saw a single Pipevine Swallowtail butterfly fly by last week and I had to take a second look to make sure I wasn't seeing things.

If the bees go then we will be up the creek without a paddle....responsible for a heck of a lot in nature are the old bees... :(

"The society blamed pollution, loss of habitat and climate change for killing off invertebrates and urged the public to take action by demanding that food is farmed in a more sustainable way and growing insect-friendly plants in their garden."

That's a non sequitor.

"Insects on land are being driven out by human development such as cities and pollution caused by cars and factories. All species are in danger from further habitat loss caused by climate change."

Ah, that's more like it. Too many humans, yup.

I once saw back to back commercials about starving 3rd world children and starving 3rd world tigers. It seemed to me there was a solution there that didnt involve anyone sending any money.

Sorry to have detracked from the OP. Please carry on...