Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Private Manned Mars Mission Gets 1st Sponsors

Still Waters

A Dutch company that aims to land humans on Mars in 2023 as the vanguard of a permanent Red Planet colony has received its first funding from sponsors, officials announced this week.

Mars One plans to fund most of its ambitious activities via a global reality-TV media event, which will follow the mission from the selection of astronauts through their first years on the Red Planet. But the sponsorship money is important, helping the company — which had been self-funded for the last 18 months — get to that point, officials said Wednesday (Aug. 29).

http://www.space.com...n-sponsors.html

Im sure Mars One will do fine. Within a ten year span (1958-1969) NASA was founded, research was being conducted, some high-stake missions were visioned, and Apollo rockets were developed (Several of them), and Neil Armstrong walked on the moon. Im sure people were skeptical then too (and some are still skeptical today whether it did actually happened - But I digress).

Mars One has a lot of the dirty work already done for them with what NASA has already achieved over the years. It will be a lot of hard work to achieve this goal, but it's doable.

Where there is a will, there is a way. But it all depends on how badly they want to do it.

Hope it all works out for them and they make it happen.

I really can't see this happening.

Am I just being short sighted?

I wish them every success...as I do with anyone and everyone who has ambitions of space exploration, be it big ideas or small personal achievements. Copenhagen Suborbitals are my favourite small time outfit to watch at the moment, I think their budget on their first little venture was only 60k....which gives food for thought for anyone with a dream, get-up-and-go and a big idea..

I'm kind of torn about this.

One the one hand; people on Mars? Absolutely!

On the other; NO MORE 'REALITY' TV!!! :angry:

Edited by Imaginarynumber1
  • Like 1

This is a good idea if it works and if it doesn't somebody's going to get rich out of this scheme.

Mars One plans to fund most of its ambitious activities via a global reality-TV media event,... oh my lord its going to be Geordie Shore on Mars. lol

The reality TV side doesn't have to be anything like Big Brother or Survivor. Those are reality game shows. It could be more like a docu-reality show, like most of the shows on the Discovery Channel now.

Plus i'm sure sponsorship deals will be on offer and companies would pay millions to have their logo on Mars and probably a very popular TV show (If it happens). Will help pay a lot of the costs.

I'm all for space exploration and a manned mission to Mars.. I only hope they have the right resources and minds working behind the project as they get more sponsors. Death is always a possibility in space travel, of course, but the probability shifts with the experience working within.

Death wont stop anyone from going to Mars We all gotta die some time,I would venture to say many,many will die in space exploration. Look how many have died exploring out own planet !

Im all In sign me up ! :tu:

I think they need to be able to return. What if things don't go well, I am not sure I could deal with watching somebody die up there if there could have been an escape plan. I know it is a risk and it could happen and has happened. I think many of the death that have happened could have been prevented with a little more thought on safety at the drawing board. I think return is do able. But If they can pull it off, then blessings of Timelords. Go for it.

I think they need to be able to return. What if things don't go well, I am not sure I could deal with watching somebody die up there if there could have been an escape plan. I know it is a risk and it could happen and has happened. I think many of the death that have happened could have been prevented with a little more thought on safety at the drawing board. I think return is do able. But If they can pull it off, then blessings of Timelords. Go for it.

I think being able to return will be a necessity if this project is to go ahead, I can't help feeling there will be some legal issues with sending people away without the means to bring them back, this would bring the project to a halt very quickly.

Imagine parents trying to stop this happening through the courts after finding out their off-spring had signed up on a one way trip to Mars, I am sure they would win and the project halted.

Nice that this is originating from the Netherlands as the European Space Agency has its largest test center located there. NASA has just shown a proof-of-concept that a car sized object can be safely landed as a one-way endeavor. And, let us not forget that the first manned landings on the moon were monumental "reality" events based on an expedited research and development plan. It could happen again.

Um... Moon One anyone? I bet you could get some big American sponsors to fund an ongoing colony on the moon. Dunno about people LIVING there but think of it as an in-and-out like the International Space Station. And return trips would be much more practical. Make it a business? Eventually become a hotel after many capsules have landed?

Moon One would be more practical I suppose. Whilst a Moon One would be incredible, a Mars One would be mind blowing if it actually happened. You've got to admire the audacity of Mars One. There are a few questions I've got though -

How would the whole thing be broadcasted? I mean at the moment they'd be hard pushed to beam back any live feeds, but things may be different in 10 years. How would they do it though, sending back a live feed? It's fascinating to think of how they could possibly do it.

Would they 'own' the area on Mars in which they colonised? Surely whoever lands there and sets up a permanent base then owns that land? What would happen in this situation? I mean it would be quite a valuable area of land?

The other thing is how are they going to get around the legal issues that will arise if they even get close to pulling this off? It would make for some pretty interesting debates!

I can't imagine how amazing it would be if it all actually happened! and in 11 years time! If NASA announced a manned Mars mission it would have to be in a 10-15 year time frame, maybe NASA will follow suit if Mars One makes big strides in the next 5 years, you never know (yes I know it's wishful thinking!)

Why do I imagine (if this happens) the 'house-mates' turning on each other and things ending badly, not through equipment malfunction, but just people being isolated with no reason to follow the rules. Who's to stop a few of these 'house-mates' taking charge and calling the shots? Its not like they can be really punished up there...

Why do I imagine (if this happens) the 'house-mates' turning on each other and things ending badly, not through equipment malfunction, but just people being isolated with no reason to follow the rules. Who's to stop a few of these 'house-mates' taking charge and calling the shots? Its not like they can be really punished up there...

But think of the ratings. Sort of like 'Lord of the Flies', but on Mars. :tu:

But think of the ratings. Sort of like 'Lord of the Flies', but on Mars. :tu:

Would be intense viewing, as long as the house-mates/planet-mates/mars-mates don't pull the plug on the live feed.