Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The "Bloop"

TheCosmicMind

Intriguing .

Makes me wonder where Preston and childe got the idea for their book,The Ice Limit

It's an experimental sonar the Navy's been trying to develop to track subs without giving up the point of origin. About ten or fifteen years ago the Navy got into trouble because it caused whales and dolphins to run aground because it messed up their own low frequency sonar. However, the Navy still thinks it has potential and tests it more responsibly now.

• Like 2

It's actualy ice that is rubbing against a iceberg, that goes through the water

Aw shoot Dick? You couldn't finish your second term in office, what makes you think you know sonar?

Edited by keninsc
  • Like 2

Aw shoot Dick? You couldn't finish your second term in office, what makes you think you know sonar?

you are going to have to figure that yourself

Naaaw, you didn't listen to me in '72, you ain't gonna listen to me now either. LOL!

(oh, the pun....)

Edited by keninsc

Naaaw, you didn't listen to me in '72, you ain't gonna listen to me now either. LOL!

(oh, the pun....)

right, keep to subject please

http://skeptoid.com/episodes/4177

Read the transcript or download the podcast - it's only about 12 minutes.

So, be skeptical of news reports or web sites that parrot the unsourced claim that the Bloop "matches the audio profile of a living creature." It doesn't really; and there are other unknown sounds that sound a lot more like an animal. And I can think of half a dozen phenomena off the top of my head for which I couldn't find recordings or spectrograms, that might be good candidates to explain the Bloop. What about undersea releases of natural gas bubbles? What about deep sea vents? What about some kind of manmade activity: A submarine blowing a ballast tank or releasing some undersea weapon or machine?

I make no pretense at being able to explain the Bloop. NOAA experts far more knowledgeable than I have been unable to classify it. What I do know, and what I encourage you to consider, is that no good explanation is very well supported; certainly not the pop-culture version that CNN would have us jump to, that it's a giant sea monster. Sometimes the only way to be right is to simply say "I don't know...yet."

• Like 5

ummmmm if i were to take an educated guess, i would have to say its the Kraken or Jormungand the Midgard serpent :yes:

(kidding)

Edited by Ever Learning

Mermaid? Has any seen the documentary on the Discovery Chanel "mermaid a body found"? They claim that the bloop was from some unknown species in the ocean. I personally don't believe in mermaids, but maybe an undiscovered whale or dolphin?

I want it to be some unknown creature, one that's huge! But I don't think it's been heard since, so it's doubtful. As to what I think it may be? I honestly don't know, but the glacier idea seems to fit for me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloop

Does anyone have any theories as to what this was?

That question has been asked on UM a few times. Here's a couple of threads you might find interesting.

http://www.unexplain...&hl= bloop&st=0

http://www.unexplain...pic=147713&st=0

• Like 1

Mermaid? Has any seen the documentary on the Discovery Chanel "mermaid a body found"? They claim that the bloop was from some unknown species in the ocean. I personally don't believe in mermaids, but maybe an undiscovered whale or dolphin?

It wasn't a documentary.

• Like 3

It wasn't a documentary.

Really? Bummer:(. Lol. Sooo... A mocumentary?

In an ideal world, that "mockumentary" would have included commentary from someone like Doctor Helen Magnus (from Sanctuary) or "UNIT Scientific Advisor Doctor John Smith" (from Doctor Who) or maybe Walter Bishop (Fringe).

Cthulu is rising :clap:

I saw a documentary a few years back that identified the sound as the mating call of a certain species of fish. I can't remember the name.

I saw a documentary a few years back that identified the sound as the mating call of a certain species of fish. I can't remember the name.

Good story. If you can't cite it, why bother posting?

Good story. If you can't cite it, why bother posting?

In the hopes that maybe someone else might know where it's from. I don't know how many time's I've brought up a view point with 'here's this viewpoint but I don't have the exact citation for it'. Also, why bother? Cause it gives us another thing to consider, even if we can't find the source.

• Like 1

If it was organic, we'd have found repeat signals by now, wouldn't we? I think I agree it was some kind of secret scientific experiment. Were the Myth-Busters around at the time?

• Like 1