Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The "Bloop"

TheCosmicMind

You Guys :rolleyes: It's Just An UFO Preparing To Emerge From The Ocean ..

No its a UFO, riding Kthulu, thats being pulled by a hundred Nessies - all roaring underwater at once. Why? Because we don't know everything about the ocean/the moon has been better explored/so any completely ridiculous theory is no more or less preposterous than the next.

A blank check drawn on the accounts of the mighty Bank of Cryptozoology.

Man that was snarky. Gonna catch it for sure now...

• Like 3

Cthulhu. The lats and longs of the bloop are relatively close to those given of R'lyeh. Okay so there's a couple hunner miles difference........ but the Pacific's quite big :P

This seems incredibly similar to the Wow! Signal of 1977...also a mystery. I also would love to think that it came from an unknown sea creature, but without knowing the exact details (and by that I mean recorded data on geological/manmade etc. activities occurring at the same time) it's impossible to say, but I would speculate that it is not an animal, sadly. ='(

I posted this earlier. It is a Black Drum fish .

http://videos.howstu...calls-video.htm

No. it's not. For various reasons, the easiest one of which to bring up is that this is an unidentified sound, and the sound of a black drum is identified.

Mermaid? Has any seen the documentary on the Discovery Chanel "mermaid a body found"? They claim that the bloop was from some unknown species in the ocean. I personally don't believe in mermaids, but maybe an undiscovered whale or dolphin?

I watched it last night, and it was a poor attempt of actors trying to look like normal people having the experiences, but istill it passed a couple of hours of T.V viewing, even if the mermaids looked like avatars with flippers.

• 1 month later...

The broad spectrum sounds recorded in the summer of 1997 are consistent with icequakes generated by large icebergs as they crack and fracture. NOAA hydrophones deployed in the Scotia Sea detected numerous icequakes with spectrograms very similar to “Bloop”. The icequakes were used to acoustically track iceberg A53a as it disintegrated near South Georgia Island in early 2008. Icequakes are of sufficient amplitude to be detected on multiple sensors at a range of over 5000 km. Based on the arrival azimuth, the iceberg(s) generating “Bloop” most likely were between Bransfield Straits and the Ross Sea, or possibly at Cape Adare, a well know source of cryogenic signals.

http://www.pmel.noaa.gov/vents/acoustics/sounds/bloop.html

• Like 1

I do not know how many persisted with the links given by Still Waters early in the piece, but Mattshark contacted Christopher Fox from NOAA who replied with:

Matt,

First let me thank you for showing me bloopwatch.org! I had no idea

such a site existed. As for the slowed down version of the original

bloop, I think what we're hearing are processing artifacts. The

original hydrophone samples were digitized at 100 samples per second

(due to limitations of batteries, disk drives, etc.) and high-passed

filters at around 1 Hz, so only frequencies from 1 - 50 Hz were

recorded. This works fine for earthquakes, large whales, and whatever

the bloop sound is. Human hearing can just barely make it down to 50

Hz, which is why we sped the signal up to the 16-800 Hz range: so that

it could be heard. Reshifting it down to the original frequency band

would put it below human hearing again, so I have to believe that what

we ARE hearing is some artifact of the processing. Since I seem to have

a knack for naming things, I'll call it the caliope sound, since it

sounds to me like an old steam caliope.

As you noticed, I have moved out of my acoustics research and into

senior management, but I am not aware of any new insights into the bloop

or other sounds. My old Vents group continues to collect data and

recently had hydrophones deployed off Antarctica. I often suspected

that some of these sounds were related to ice processes, since they

always seemed to come from due south, but was never able to verify.

Good luck with your studies. -cf

Ice seems the best bet.

And the original recording is beyond the range if human hearing, it has to be sped up to be heard.

LINK

Two of the navy researchers had a heated argument about the source of the sound, according to Fox. One maintained it had geological origins like Upsweep, while the other was convinced it was coming from Antarctic ice. They declined to comment for this article, but Fox himself favours the ice hypothesis. The sound's southerly origin is one clue, and another was unearthed by one of the navy researchers. He showed Fox a spectrogram that was strikingly similar to Slowdown, except that it was higher pitched and much shorter. "He made me suffer a bit," recalls Fox with a chuckle, "and then finally explained what it was." He had placed a microphone next to a glossy magazine page and then run his fingers over it to create friction. It didn't take Fox long to make the connection: Slowdown had to be caused by a massive friction phenomenon, quite possibly ice rubbing over land.

LINK

Edited by psyche101
  • Like 1

They say that the bloop if made by an animal would have to be bigger than a blue whale so it's no dolphin or fish maybe new whale, squid, something else or nothing

A flatulent whale..!

Not exactly. I had green chili burritos that day, then went for a swim too soon after eating.

Thankfully I was in the ocean at the time or I would have caused another Tunguska event.

• Like 1

I always thought the Bloop was very interesting and mysterious. I personally think it might be something geographical or maybe even man-made. If it was an animal we would've most likely heard it more than once.

Not exactly. I had green chili burritos that day, then went for a swim too soon after eating.

Thankfully I was in the ocean at the time or I would have caused another Tunguska event.

:w00t: I've always been a sucker of potty humor.