Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

40-year-old block of cheddar cheese

Still Waters

This 40-year-old block of cheddar cheese is being sold for $10 per ounce, after being discovered in a Milwaukee grocery store refrigerator where it had lain about forgotten for decades.

73-year-old Edward Zahn was making preparations to close down his Z's Cheese Shoppe, when he came across some abandoned crates in the back of the walk-in cooler.

Within the wooden boxes he found a stash of old eastern Wisconsin cheddar cheese, aged 28, 34 and 40.

'It just got overlooked,' Zahn said of the 40-year-old variety. 'It looks just like the others except it's just a lot sharper. It's got character.'

http://www.dailymail...-old-block.html

• Like 1

I love cheese, but I can't stomach the strong stuff. I can only enjoy mild or medium cheddar.

That just sounds awful! I wonder what it smells like... and tastes like? Okay, yeah, I'd totally want some...

Me too... I really want to try it now!

Mmmmm, I bet it would make a great grill cheese with my homemade bread. If y'all want to buy the cheese I'll do the cooking.

I'd live to try it!

I like cheese.

One of my uncles likes casu marzu and he eats it regularly...

"eating cheese" what do you do with other cheeses? :P

Eating cheese, as in eaten on it's own rather than using it as an ingredient. I would serve it in "taste" sized bits, likely along with other eating cheeses. Probably a few other little dishes. Of course a couple of beverages. Sort of an amuse-bouche.

Sometimes in some restaurants you will see a dessert type of dish offered that is a couple of different bits of cheese, often accompanied by fruit, nuts, or chocolate. Those are eating cheeses.

An eating comparison could be grapes. Table grapes are more for eating- particularly fresh, wine grapes are made into wine. Then there is the processing grape- concord are most noted for that, though it is not top of the popular list for either table or wine grapes.

You can use any of these grapes interchangeably to an extent. But some are better eating grapes, some better ingredient grapes.

Edited by rashore

Yummo! crystalized cheese, where do i buy some? go well with a glass of red, just like vintage parmo! Cheese can never be too old!

It sounds PERFECT... I LOVE sharp flavored cheese!