Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Modern wheat, perfect chronic poison

Ashotep

(CBS News) Modern wheat is a "perfect, chronic poison," according to Dr. William Davis, a cardiologist who has published a book all about the world's most popular grain. Ariticle and Video

After reading this I am wondering if I should stop eating wheat altogether. It seems to cause a host of problems from over eating to diabetes and it not because of gluten but something called gliadin that's in this genetically modified wheat. Could be why we have so many overweight people. What do you think?

Edited by Hilander
  • Like 1

Well, I'm overweight because I eat at McDonald's, Culvers, Taco Bell, etc. and I don't exercise.

• Like 2

I think when it comes to things like this, we are the best judge sometimes.

Give up wheat for 6 weeks and see if you notice a difference.

But you need to be informed (wheat is in a lot of foods) and strict, as just eating "a little" wheat may undermine the whole thing.

6 weeks off any food won't hurt you. So when you read articles like this, if you feel so inclined, or your body is suffering, I say try it. Find out for yourself.

But I am no physician or nutritionist so I suggest asking your health care professional first.

• Like 3

The gliadin protein in wheat binds with the opiate receptors in your brain which increases your apetite. That's why I wonder if it has anything to do with so many over eating.

My GP's instructions to lose weight and manage my cardiac arrhythmia are as follow:

Less then 600mL of Coke a day.

Less then 250g of chocolate a day.

No more then three thin slices of cheese a day (basically what would cover a reasonably sized piece of bread).

No more then four slices of bread.

With a few other rules - the usual about bacon and fatty foods, but the cheese and the bread one surprised me.

i think the problem is people have a fast paced and stressful life in the modern day so they dont eat right or exercise wich everyone should find time to do. (doesnt have to be super hard or involve going to the gym filled with ppl it could just be playing a game of football in the backyard everyday with your kids or swimming.)

• Like 1

Everyday I see people at the grocery store, in machine wheel chairs who are 300+ pounds, stocking their baskets with 3 liter cokes, corn dogs, 2lb. bags of doritos, fried chicken from the deli, etc. I really don't think these fat people are eating much wheat, in fact some of them probably haven't heard of wheat.

A corn dog, never heard that one, googled it though, those atrocities are called Dagwood Dogs or Pluto Pups on these shores. I think I ate one once. Or maybe I ate it several times, as it kept coming up for air.

:P

A corn dog, never heard that one, googled it though, those atrocities are called Dagwood Dogs or Pluto Pups on these shores. I think I ate one once. Or maybe I ate it several times, as it kept coming up for air.

well they are called corn dogs because the batter they used is made out of corn bread (sometimes it pancake with sausage)

well they are called corn dogs because the batter they used is made out of corn bread (sometimes it pancake with sausage)

I'd be surprised if the batter contained any corn in them here. Plenty of wheat grown in Aus, not much corn.

i say stick with brown wholemeal bread and pasta (the bread shld also be from a superior brand) - if trying lose wight tho, avoid bread and pasta

This reminds me of the simpsons episode where they went to australia. That aussie guy says "that's a strange name, i'd have called them cuzzwuzziliers"

What else would you call a hotdog covered in corn batter?

Then again we know them over here as battered hotdogs, but we have never been creative with naming things.

Amen sista !

Yes ,if I do wheat items ,has to be organic,and I do it rarely .

I have celiac disease,but I occ cheat ,but the key words here are MODERN WHEAT .

How its so over processed today .

Wheat ,corn ,soy and sugars,in the modern diet,is what is killing us.

One of my acupuncture teachers went to vietnam for six weeks one year.

They don't use wheat at all there. She came back 20 pounds lighter,and felt 1000 times better ,from just eating a veitnamese diet ,which even includes fried foods,just no wheat.

She told anyone who would listen .

Don't eat wheat ,end of story .

Edited by Simbi Laveau
  • Like 2

Amen sista !

I have celiac disease,but I occ cheat ,but the key words here are MODERN WHEAT .

They don't use wheat at all there. She came back 20 pounds lighter,and felt 1000 times better ,from just eating a veitnamese diet ,which even includes fried foods,just no wheat.

Agreed! My mom went to Vietnam for 6 weeks also, she lost almost 30 lbs by time she got back.

Wheat Belly by Dr. William Davis is a very eye opening book. He even gives the history of how wheat has changed - having gone from 1 or 2 types of wheat to over 20 thousand varieties.

• Like 1

I"m a little underwhelmed with the article. It's kind of skewed.

Gliadin isn't really a new thing. It isn't gluten, but it is one of the main proteins that make gluten, along with glutenins.

The "genetic research of the 60's and 70's" are not the same thing as GMO's we have become concerned about recently.

There isn't just one kind of wheat either. There isn't just one single 18 inch plant developed in the 60-70's that's universally grown. There are multiple bread wheats, pasta wheat, and other wheats too.

How we process our wheats and our consumption of refined products is more likely to be a problem medically or in dietary needs than the grain itself.

Hasn't anyone else noticed that everyone who gets tested for gluten alergies these days turns out to be to be allergic?

edited for spelling

Edited by OverSword

Hasn't anyone else noticed that everyone who gets tested for gluten alergies these days turns out to be to be allergic?

edited for spelling

That's because of early exposure to it,and the fact chances are good,their parents have issues already .

It may be carried over in utero at this point.

Food from even three generations ago,was better quality ,than what we have now.

Look at any aisle in the supermarket.

Look at the ingredients in cereal,bread,cookies and baked goods ....

And realize all of this contains massively over processed stuff,with all kinds of sugars and preservatives used in the processing.

3 generations ago,people ate real food .

2 generations ago,the processed stuff began creeping in .

Then include stuff like hormones and antibiotics and extra poisons,in all animal feeds,and injected into animals that end up on the table.

This would include eggs,all dairy ,all poultry and eats.

Then include all the processing and additives in dairy .

This isnt even including ,gmos and pesticides on our produce.,or how sick most animals are,when slaughtered

The immune systems ,of anyone born within the last generation,ie ,aged 25 and younger,are drastically compromised.

Everyone older,is also eating all this crap,but has a slightly better immune system,but also has massive allergen exposure .

This is why ,so many more people are allergic.

They grow up eating this,with no real foods .

Think of an average meal for a kid.

They eat processed cereal,with ultra pasteurized milk,and processed white sugar in it.

Lunch at school is from a company the school uses,to get it cheaper,and its all processed crap,as pink slime clearly demonstrated.Then mom is tired,and buys chicken mcnuggets and French fries for dinner.

Do you have any idea what's in mcnuggets?

Ishowed one of my friends ,and, she hasnt given her kids mcnuggets since.

But how common is this scenario

What real food did they eat ? And this goes on 5 days a week ?

,Today's kids,will probably have the highest cancers rates ever seen in history .

All peeps under 25,will probably test positive for wheat and dairy intollerance ,in this country ,because of what they eat,from the moment they're off mothers milk ,but all her antibiodies from eating this garbage,end up where ?

Yup

• Like 1

I switch to whole wheat and cut out most sugars. I make my own bread so I know what is in it. I think people eat way too much flour and sugar. Anything white is really loaded with too many carbs. White sugar, flour and potatoes should be eaten sparingly or not at all. Everything in moderation. You need some carbs for energy, you don't want to go carb free. Carbs should be taken with complex carbs. Fruit, beans, and vegetables. You will lose weight and feel better. I lost 90lbs doing that. :P

• Like 1

mind you, three geneations ago people were dropping dead from TB ( was it TB or was it something else?) in "real milk", so not all "real fods" are 100% safe either.

About 3weeks ago I cut all, and I do mean ALL sugar out of my diet, so that includes fruit and fruit juices, and I also cut all dairy products out too. I haven't cut wheat out entirely because that(for me anyway), is quite difficult, but I now eat less than half the wheat I used to. I feel great, better than I've felt for a couple of decades, maybe more. The scales tell me I've lost 4lbs but I feel as if I've lost a stone. All the stiffness and bloating has gone, and all the little niggling pains too. My mood is good too(I've suffered from depression for years), and I have noticeably more energy.

I agree with Dr.Davis: what we call 'food' these days really isn't, in the sense that there is virtually no nutritional value in most of it. It just adds stress to all our internal organs as they struggle to process and eliminate it, whilst gaining nothing of value from it.

Oh, I meant to say that what has been a revelation to me while on this new diet, is that I never feel hungry. I think the reason why most dieters fail in their aim to lose weight, is that they have a continuous battle to resist foods. They're constantly hungry so they're constantly fighting the urge to eat. That can't be kept up for more than a few days.

Lots of RAW organic food is best, I think.

Amen sista !

Yes thank you, I am talking about modern wheat that has been genetically modified to produce bigger yields and now it has something called gliadin in it because it was modified. Organically grown, it still doesn't matter because they are using a modified seed so same result.

Even if its whole wheat never been bleached it still has it in it. Have to watch the whole wheat breads and such because they put gluten in it.

Have to watch the whole wheat breads and such because they put gluten in it.

The high level of gluten in modern wheat has been bred into it to stop loaves from being crumbly ........ it is (almost) literally 'glue'! It sticks in the gaps between the villii(villae?) in the intestine.

Interesting.

However, in Skyrim wheat heals me. :lol:

It healed me after I took an arrow to the knee...

• Like 2