Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

'Comforting' Medical staff ;)

None of the above

Seeing poor Toadie talking about he tummy stitches reminded me of this, so I thought I'd sahre and see if you peeps have similar experiences to recount.

About 10 years ago I shattered an ankle. Tib and Fib, spiral fracture and greenstick fracture. Ankle joint shatterred, foot up under my knee.. the works.

Anyway, had full internal reconstruction with 28 staples on the outside holding it all shut.

When it came time to have the staples out, a middle aged Staff nurse did the honours. Named 'Shirley'.

I sat on a bed while she took them out with those little metal pliers that they use.

At about the half way point I was gripping the matress like I was on a rollercoaster, gritted teeth, sweating like crazy, hurt like bloody hell!

So I said to her, "Hold on Shirley, give me a second, I'm finding it hard to keep still"

"Don't worry" she said "You're doing really well, quite often we have to have people held down".

Very comforting!

Anyone got any similar tales of bedside manners?

Edited by Atlantia
  • Like 2

yes! I had some problems with my tummy a while back, and they were trying to give me a blood test! and i absolutely hate injections and blood tests. I kicked one of the nurses and ran off lol. they needed to do it because they thought I had appendicitis, so it was pretty important. In the end they caught me, held me down and without any kind of numbing, they stuck the ******* needle into my arm!

Ouch Atlantia, that is horrid.

My story is nothing like that but pretty funny in hindsight.

I went to the docs with my boyfriend at the time many years ago. Saw the doc, was told I needed a blood test and directed to wait at a

nurses station away from the waiting room. The nurse was at her desk about 3 feet from me and on a personal call. The doc told her to give

me a blood test when she was done. All good, so far.

Anyway, this nurse could talk - forever, literally. Also, she was in a "biatchy" mood and backstabbing a friend to another friend with very descriptive and nasty commentary about what she would like to do to said first friend. I was getting the heebeegeebees about her going anywhere near me listening to this nastiness.

So there I am, terrified of needles, nauseated by the sight of blood waiting for Hitler's spawn to get off the phone and draw my blood. I sat very quietly - for an hour. The doc came by and asked what I was still doing there. I said I was waiting for the blood test. He was flabbergasted, he went to the nurse and said she needed to do this now. She gave a killer look and said she'd be right on it. He walked away. She kept talking and talking. He came back in half an hour, the look on his face was pure pained. He didn't bother asking her a third time just asked me to come with him. I was so relieved I could cry and he was very gentle when he drew the blood and so apologetic.

The best part is yet to come. I come out to the waiting room - there is a huge commotion. My boyfriend is at the counter clutching a piece of paper I sort of recognised and the nurse is describing ME to someone on the phone with his help, he has tears in his eyes. He sees me and yells "where the hell have you been, we are on the phone to the police reporting you abducted". I kid you not.

Apparently, while I was waiting for the blood test the good doc had closed my file and "checked me out" as finished with him. My boyfriend, not seeing me come out asked the nurse what was happening and why I was taking so long. The nurse looks in my file on computer and tells him, I've already left. She has rung the doc (who is in his office and not knowing Hitler's spawn had still not attended me at that time) and asks if I've left. He states he saw me over an hour ago. I guess he didn't connect the waiting woman with the name asked of him by the nurse via phone somehow, who knows.

My boyfriend is told this, he runs to the car in case I am silly enough to have missed him and am sitting there waiting for him - and discovers my grocery list on the ground which somehow fell out of my bag as I got out of the car when we first arrived. He connects the dots and decides it must have fallen out as I've been grabbed by someone, oh no.

Panic set in at that point and he frantically asked the nurse to call the police. The nurse did not look out the back or call the doc to let him know they thought I'd been abducted, noooo, they all just set about organising the police.

Well end of story, after much fuming, finger pointing and a Hitler's spawn/mistress fired on the spot we finally got out of there. I don't think he ever got over the fact that I was so scared of the upcoming blood test that I sat meekly awaiting my fate for over an hour while he was slowly heading into a steep panic in the waiting room but we did laugh about it a few times in later months, one of his fave dinner stories with friends much to my chagrin.

• Like 2

You guys don't really want me to start on this..as I have a million of them,both professional and personal ....

I tend to expect medical professionals,to do the right thing,same way I always did.

I tried to treat all patients,as if they were my family member ,or you lose sight of why you are doing the job in the first place.

Ok,one about my mom,as I absolutely would lose it ,if she wasn't cared for properly .

She has one of her APE episodes ,and she ended up admitted to the step down unit of a very prominent nyc hospital.

So she's doing ok,but they anticipated a stay,because her creatinine levels were up.

Ok.I would go see her before work,and after work. Took her coffee and a newspaper . Tucked her in,and I would call before going to bed.

So I go in one morning,and she's complaining of ankle pain ,she's been there 2 days,and she tells me she thinks she sprained it,while lying in bed...

So I look,and its slightly red .So now she's had incidents of both gout,and cellulitis ,so I go and find a doctor,who I know from her previous stays ,and he looks .

He puts in her chart ,give pain killer every six hours,soak foot and ankle at least once a day .

I SEE him do this .

Pain killers qid,soaking bid .

Fine.

That day,I did the soaking myself ,got her some Tylenol w codiene .

I came in the next morning ,and shes in terrible pain.

Well did they give you any pain killers last night ? No. Soak it ?

Is it gout ? Anyone even think to give you gout meds if you have no fever ?

No no no and no ...

I went ballistic . Whyyyyyy...

The nurses said she didn't complain,so they gave her nothing.

Well.....THE ******* DOCTOR PUT THE ORDERS IN HER CHART,SO YOU WERE SUPPOSED TO DO IT WETHER SHE COMPLAINED OR NOT !!!

The nurses fled in abject terror. The head nurse came to calm me down.

Let's just say she was well taken care of ,from then on in ,for that stay anyway .

My mom had a room mate this stay,an elderly woman with brittle diabetes. Sad lonely . I would help her a bit when I was there.

After I left that day,she turned to my mom and said,"you're lucky to have her,as they totally do not do the right thing,if they think you don't know any better".

Never mess with my mum .....:)

I may be weird by I like it when I have a GP who's attitude is "you're a pansy, ****", it's comforting that they're not at all worried about whatever ails me, in a "if they,re not worried, tou shouldn't be worried either" sort of way.

I may be weird by I like it when I have a GP who's attitude is "you're a pansy, ****", it's comforting that they're not at all worried about whatever ails me, in a "if they,re not worried, tou shouldn't be worried either" sort of way.

I'm kind of the same way with therapists and the likes. I don't want someone who's going to 'put me on the couch', I'd rather have a person tell me to suck it up and say "don't be a pansy, now", rather than asking me how I feel about something. Honestly, I can scream and cuss and swear about my problems and just maybe be a little better off for it 10 minutes later, but if you want me to go through a box of tissues and talk about my feelings for an hour, we're not getting anywhere.Anyway, similarly in a lot of these hospital situations I don't like to feel too coddled, but I went into an ER once with a concussion, a broken jaw, fractured wrist, and a few broken ribs, and there was a nurse who showed his care well enough just in the way that he got me seen to, looked over, and helped in a timely and efficient but thorough manner. He wasn't rude and impersonal, but then again he wasn't prodding and trying to dig into my personal matters. Also, one time when I was stabbed, I think I went into minor shock after they got the guy unarmed and detained, and on my way to the hospital I looked down for the first time and I saw that my shirt was just soaked through with blood, but the medical personnel around me kept very calm, professional, and efficient, and I think that really helped me keep it together.

When my daughter was 4 she had a really bad seizure and was taken by ambulance to probably the largest and busiest trauma hospital ER here. The nurse that was helping was so good with her and when my daughter "came to" because she was nonresponsive for what seemed like forever, but when she was finally able to communicate the nurse seemed to be just as overwhelmed with emotion as all of us were. They released her the same day, so it wasn't like we were there long but maybe a week or so later we get a card from the ER nurse addressed to my daughter just saying that she was so happy that she was better and how beautiful and strong she is and had a little joke the two of them had shared that day. I was just really impressed that a nurse who works at an ER that see's just under 90,000 patients a year and wasn't as though my daughter was her only patient that day, a nurse that busy remembered my daughter and cared enough to send her a card. I've never known that to happen and I've been to the ER several times since then and a few times before. She truly cared and that is really pretty rare to find in the medical field these days.

• Like 1

I was in the hospital once about to have a miscarriage and it was my birthday. The nurses got me a little birthday cake.