Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Farmer, 74, Grows Cannabis Crop by Mistake

questionmark

A Bavarian farmer wanted to grow sunflowers on a spare patch of land but ended up with a thriving crop of cannabis that earned him a visit from drug enforcement officials. He said he had planted the field with old bird food, not realizing that it contained hemp seeds.

An elderly Bavarian farmer who said he had intended to grow sunflowers planted a field of 1,000 cannabis plants by mistake, police said.

Police alerted by residents in the town of Mömbris in southern Germany found three-meter-high (9.84 feet) cannabis plants on a field of 300 square meters, prompting a visit by drug enforcement officials to the 74-year-old farmer. "He explained to the astonished officers that he had really wanted to grow sunflowers," police said in a statement on Tuesday. "But because he didn't have any sunflower seeds, he instead scattered half a sack of old bird seed he had at home.

Read more

Ye, come pops, by mistake eh? :devil:

• Like 5

Yeah, and he accidentally built a meth-lab while trying to plumb-in an en-suite toilet.

Edited by Atlantia
  • Like 1

I refuse to believe they have marijuana seeds in bird seed. They have hemp seeds which do grow a cannibas plant, but not the one with all the illegal THC in it. Hemp is actually a really useful plant.. just widely unused because of it's association with pot.

• Like 1

I refuse to believe they have marijuana seeds in bird seed. They have hemp seeds which do grow a cannibas plant, but not the one with all the illegal THC in it. Hemp is actually a really useful plant.. just widely unused because of it's association with pot.

There are more than 90 cannabis strains, one of which is the classic hemp plant. Not all of them contain any noticeable THC and some are in fact used as bird seeds. About 15 of these (plus hybrids of those 15) can be used to get high.

• Like 1

It is a good resource for cloth, paper, oil and rope. It is a waste not to use it. Yes they do use it in bird seed. They do something to it so it won't grow around the feeder these days.

• Like 1

QM is on the money- cannabis is the family name of both the hemp we use industrially and marijuana we use as a drug. Different cultivars have different THC amounts. So no, they don't load birdseed with marijuana, or high THC seed. They use hemp, or low THC seed.

Depending on where you live and where the bird seed is coming from, it may or may not be rendered inert. I think they usually heat treat it, I know that's what you do at home. Bake it in the oven for a while to kill the seed. I'm pretty sure hemp in the U.S. is supposed to be rendered inert. I don't know what German laws are about it.

• Like 1

by mistake, you say...didn't notice they didn't look anything like sunflowers, huh? wow that's one stupid farmer.

tokers.gif

• Like 2

by mistake, you say...didn't notice they didn't look anything like sunflowers, huh? wow that's one stupid farmer.

tokers.gif

He must have been high to think the cops would believe him.

Great animation btw!

Could I use that excuse for the production line of skunk plants I have in my basement?

• Like 1

I smell bull manure, maybe he was fertilizing with bull manure?

I have never heard of Bavarian pot farmers though. Have you ?

So here's the deal... Herr Farmer is a naughty boy who is telling a plausible lie... I'm pretty sure he didn't plant bird seed.

Yes, many bird seeds DO contain hemp seed. The hemp in bird seed mixes is irradiated so it can't sprout! The DEA and other drug enforcement agencies make sure that all hemp in all birdseed can't germinate! I believe this widely took effect back in the 1970s.

Not only will it not sprout, but it contains little to no THC after it's irradiated. Back when the seed companies started rendering it useless, MANY canary owners were really really mad... many of them had canaries that stopped singing after their pot got taken away! LOL. So ya, why does the cage bird sing? He's stoned of course! LOL

Edited by MissMelsWell