Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Positives of global warming..................

Myles

Any thoughts?

The thawing of previously unused farmland could be one.

More freshwater from the melting ice.

Hopefully less winter wear I live.

Good one. More pleasant climate for some norhtern regions.

Good one. More pleasant climate for some norhtern regions.

The amount of available sunlight will determine the potential to farm at higher latitudes - it ain't going to change significantly.

Br Cornelius

One of the most significant early on is reduced costs in shipping due to open water at the Polar regions.

One of the most significant early on is reduced costs in shipping due to open water at the Polar regions.

But this will bring on more arctic oil drilling - which will accelerate Global warming.

I find it extremely difficult to see positive in Global warming.

Br Cornelius

Storm chasers will have bigger tornadoes to chase.

But this will bring on more arctic oil drilling - which will accelerate Global warming.

I find it extremely difficult to see positive in Global warming.

Br Cornelius

It's not difficult if you put aside the negatives. I'm not saying global warming is a good thing, I just thought a topic about the positives could be refreshing.

I think there is a potential to explore new archaelogical sites. New digs in previously untouched land.

• Like 1

It's not difficult if you put aside the negatives. I'm not saying global warming is a good thing, I just thought a topic about the positives could be refreshing.

I think there is a potential to explore new archaelogical sites. New digs in previously untouched land.

Sea level rise would make that extremely unlikely. I would love to see the continental shelves emerging from the oceans so we could find out what Ice age culture was really like in places like the Gulf of Arabia and Sunderland - but that would require a return to Ice age conditions not global warming.

Sea level rise would make that extremely unlikely. I would love to see the continental shelves emerging from the oceans so we could find out what Ice age culture was really like in places like the Gulf of Arabia and Sunderland - but that would require a return to Ice age conditions not global warming.

Not entirely true. In Canada they have already unearthed many fossils of extinct animals in areas that used to be permafrost. I don't think sea level rise will cover all land.

Ooh ooh! Another positive: People who had not ever had seashore property will have it.

Edited by Myles
  • Like 1

A team in Russia has unearth some potential mammoth living cells that were buried in what was frozen ground before this year,

The dersert will become a jungle!! bring on the monkeys

The dersert will become a jungle!! bring on the monkeys

So the positive is that more living animals will be able to survive on that land. More resources (trees).

Not bad.

Again, this thread is not meant to discount the fact that global warming is a big negative for the earth's population. It's to find the positives that we can hold onto.

Any change to the status quo will create both winners and losers. Canada and Russia stand to gain arable land and will be able to make up the agricultural shortfall caused by desertification in the US. The Everglades will disappear, but the area around Gainesville will have a lot of good seaside property. We may even have a ne fishery where the Greenland icecap is now to replace the ones we've killed off. Etc.

Doug

Another positive for me personally is that I can tie a boat to my balcony. If all that ice has melted, I can look down on the sea from my window, instead of travelling to the sea coast which is now 20 kilometers away.

I live in the Netherlands, some 25 meters (75 feet) from the ground.

I suppose warmer weather would mean we actually have a warmer summer for once.

Quite the opposite in Ireland at least.

Br Cornelius

But the climate in Ireland hasn't been cooling for over 30 years has it? All our temperature records have been set in the 1970's and it's only been within the last year or so that the climate has come even remotely close to breaking them.

However, the freaky weather does have some benefits. Some of our ski resorts received some late snow and are now open until November.

But the climate in Ireland hasn't been cooling for over 30 years has it? All our temperature records have been set in the 1970's and it's only been within the last year or so that the climate has come even remotely close to breaking them.

However, the freaky weather does have some benefits. Some of our ski resorts received some late snow and are now open until November.

Precipitation in the west of ireland has been increasing steadily for about a century at this stage, The records that are currently been set almost anually are records for the last century and where possible beyond.

Br Cornelius

• 2 weeks later...

Greenhouse gas carbon dioxide ramps up aspen growth

... MADISON — The rising level of atmospheric carbon dioxide may be fueling more than climate change. It could also be making ... could also be making some trees grow like crazy. ... most important and widespread deciduous trees.

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2009-12/uow-ggc120109.php- 9.2KB - Public Press Releases

I love the University of Wisc. Madison. What a great college!!

Somewhere I read a piece of research that talks about global warming increasing biodiversity. But there is also reseaarch that says just the opposite.