Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

I'm an atheist who understands christians

Bling

So if any christians on this forum ever think I am disrespecting their opinion, I'm not. I'm just never going to agree with any christianity ever again, or any other religion. I don't believe the bible is the word of god, I don't believe god exists because if he did he would have heard my heartfelt prayers and not let me suffer, and I don't believe in a god who can turn his back on his creation for so long, day after day, with the promise one day he'll sort everything out once he feels mankind has suffered enough. The whole thing just sounds ridiculous to me now!

Feel free to ask me any questions as there's loads more I could say!

Hi Bling

One thing a lot of people get wrong is that they assume how they see things is how everyone else sees things. I get the impression you're trying to fit everyone into the mould where they believe in God because they dont want to go to hell. I believe in religion but its not from a fear of going to hell and no one has indocturnated me.

My belief in things spiritual took off when I got into philosophy. I discovered a lot of rational arguments as to why material reductionism is flawed. I also discovered other theories on the nature of reality and I discovered that cutting edge physics say what they say. Scientifically I am unable to justify materialism, reductionism, the big bang, evolution, the list goes on.

Big bang example -

1. Doesnt explain where the vaccum comes from as its based on only matter and energy being real.

2. Doesnt explain how something can come from nothing.

3. Assumes that maths isnt physically real.

4. Assumes the universe is objective not a collection of subjective perceptions.

Hi Bling

Look at post 72...Look under Blings avatar and see if you think she will reply --> http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=233533&st=60

Once I understand myself well, I'll go to work on the Christians. Or atheists. Or monkey scamps. There's plenty of material right here in my own self.

• Like 1

Closed lol

Yup..but I bet some will still reply to her posts and sit wondering - How come she aint responding? Even funnier if someone gives off a bit of a rant :P

• 2 weeks later...
So if any christians on this forum ever think I am disrespecting their opinion, I'm not. I'm just never going to agree with any christianity ever again, or any other religion. I don't believe the bible is the word of god, I don't believe god exists because if he did he would have heard my heartfelt prayers and not let me suffer, and I don't believe in a god who can turn his back on his creation for so long, day after day, with the promise one day he'll sort everything out once he feels mankind has suffered enough. The whole thing just sounds ridiculous to me now!

Is/was your suffering physical, mental, or emotional?

Is/was your suffering physical, mental, or emotional?

Bling ( the person you are speaking with ) is no longer a member on UM..

Thanks, Beckys_Mom. That's what I get for asking a question without reading all the way through the posts.

Thanks, Beckys_Mom. That's what I get for asking a question without reading all the way through the posts.

It's easy done, I have done it myself once or twice and later went D'OH !!

I now regard myself as an atheist but my experience with the christian faith was once a huge part of my life, so I can totally understand the views and morals christian follow. I no longer believe there is a god but for a good few years I was extremely devoted and evangelical, so much so that I got caught up in a cult in my quest to be the best christian I could be. The group I got mixed up with believed they were the one true church of the bible, the church that was set up by jesus' disciples, and not part of the false religions of this world. I was convinced I was going to hell if I did not repent of my sin, be baptised by full immersion, receive the holy spirit and follow the church and bible without question. I was brought up by christian parents who were in the baptist church, so I was indoctrinated from a very early age - I just believed it to be true. So when this group came along I praised god for bringing me into his true church, I had been searching for years for a church who followed the bible fully. I was baptised into this church by full immersion (in a baptisimal tank) within the week of hearing the word of god, and was told that I must receive the holy spirit in order to be saved and be a member of the church. The sign of being filled with the spirit was to speak in tongues, and everyone, even the children who had received the spirit spoke in tongues. I was desperate to be saved from armageddon and hell that I automatically accepted all I was told and within a few weeks I was speaking in tongues. I attended the meetings every wednesday evening, twice on sunday (with a break for dinner inbetween) and every friday with the young peoples group. I told everyone I knew that they had to be saved and if they didn't they would go to hell. I knew the bible like the back of my hand and got great comfort from it as I have had more than my fair share of tough times. I had to break off friendships with anyone who didn't follow the church, including family, and was pushed into speaking gods word whenever I could. I was not popular at work because I was seen as a jesus freak, but that just fed my inner martyr so I talked about things even more. I prayed in tongues twice a day, on my knees, and read the bible scriptures that god revealed to me while I was praying. I believed firmly that jesus was to return soon to this earth after a world nuclear war, started by the russians, and I as I was one of the saved I would be taken up to be with him. Then I would join jesus in the huge task of judging every human who ever lived and once the unbelievers were cast into hell with satan, I would live in a new heaven and earth with the lord. All this I was told was backed up by passages in the bible, so to me it seemed unquestionable. I felt special, I was told I was one of an elite few of true christians who was separated from the false religions of this world. I judged people by the word of god and felt justified in doing so. I was a saint.

However, I'm had a nagging doubt and soon began to question the interpretation of some of the scriptures and after much emotional struggle I left the church. Afterwards I was haunted for 7 years, believing I was going to hell and bad things would happen to me, so much so that after a 7 year break I joined the church again! I was so brainwashed, scared, lonely and vulnerable that I saw no other way to live my life. After a further 2 years of constantly resenting the fact I was called by god to be in his true church, and questioning my faith daily, I once again left. As soon as I did I realised to myself just how deluded I had been - I had believed all these things without ever seeing, hearing or experiencing one piece of evidence. Over the years I have accepted that religion is not for me and that actually I don't believe a word of it now. Even if it was true I wouldn't want to follow god as I can't stand the 'love me or I'll kill you' attitude the god of the bible has. It's all fairy tales to me now, and I am no longer scared and waiting for the end of the world, I can enjoy life fully without fear of doing or saying the wrong thing. I feel liberated from the chains that my faith bound me with.

Hi Bling

Thanks for sharing your experience and I'm so glad you have found courage and comforter in following your inner voice. We all go through storms with our card houses of beliefs, whatever remains will remain.

I now regard myself as an atheist but my experience with the christian faith was once a huge part of my life, so I can totally understand the views and morals christian follow. I no longer believe there is a god but for a good few years I was extremely devoted and evangelical, so much so that I got caught up in a cult in my quest to be the best christian I could be. The group I got mixed up with believed they were the one true church of the bible, the church that was set up by jesus' disciples, and not part of the false religions of this world. I was convinced I was going to hell if I did not repent of my sin, be baptised by full immersion, receive the holy spirit and follow the church and bible without question. I was brought up by christian parents who were in the baptist church, so I was indoctrinated from a very early age - I just believed it to be true. So when this group came along I praised god for bringing me into his true church, I had been searching for years for a church who followed the bible fully. I was baptised into this church by full immersion (in a baptisimal tank) within the week of hearing the word of god, and was told that I must receive the holy spirit in order to be saved and be a member of the church. The sign of being filled with the spirit was to speak in tongues, and everyone, even the children who had received the spirit spoke in tongues. I was desperate to be saved from armageddon and hell that I automatically accepted all I was told and within a few weeks I was speaking in tongues. I attended the meetings every wednesday evening, twice on sunday (with a break for dinner inbetween) and every friday with the young peoples group. I told everyone I knew that they had to be saved and if they didn't they would go to hell. I knew the bible like the back of my hand and got great comfort from it as I have had more than my fair share of tough times. I had to break off friendships with anyone who didn't follow the church, including family, and was pushed into speaking gods word whenever I could. I was not popular at work because I was seen as a jesus freak, but that just fed my inner martyr so I talked about things even more. I prayed in tongues twice a day, on my knees, and read the bible scriptures that god revealed to me while I was praying. I believed firmly that jesus was to return soon to this earth after a world nuclear war, started by the russians, and I as I was one of the saved I would be taken up to be with him. Then I would join jesus in the huge task of judging every human who ever lived and once the unbelievers were cast into hell with satan, I would live in a new heaven and earth with the lord. All this I was told was backed up by passages in the bible, so to me it seemed unquestionable. I felt special, I was told I was one of an elite few of true christians who was separated from the false religions of this world. I judged people by the word of god and felt justified in doing so. I was a saint.

However, I'm had a nagging doubt and soon began to question the interpretation of some of the scriptures and after much emotional struggle I left the church. Afterwards I was haunted for 7 years, believing I was going to hell and bad things would happen to me, so much so that after a 7 year break I joined the church again! I was so brainwashed, scared, lonely and vulnerable that I saw no other way to live my life. After a further 2 years of constantly resenting the fact I was called by god to be in his true church, and questioning my faith daily, I once again left. As soon as I did I realised to myself just how deluded I had been - I had believed all these things without ever seeing, hearing or experiencing one piece of evidence. Over the years I have accepted that religion is not for me and that actually I don't believe a word of it now. Even if it was true I wouldn't want to follow god as I can't stand the 'love me or I'll kill you' attitude the god of the bible has. It's all fairy tales to me now, and I am no longer scared and waiting for the end of the world, I can enjoy life fully without fear of doing or saying the wrong thing. I feel liberated from the chains that my faith bound me with.

Been through all that before in studying the religons, but I ve come to the conclusion that Jesus did not speak of a God that was like man, but a force of love.

Edited by docyabut2

Been through all that before in studying the religons, but I ve come to the conclusion that Jesus did not speak of a God that was like man, but a force of love.

Why would Jesus talk to "a force of love" if it didn't think like a man?

If ye had known me, ye should have known my Father also: and from henceforth ye know him, and have seen him.

Jhn 14:8 Philip saith unto him, Lord, shew us the Father, and it sufficeth us.

Jhn 14:9 Jesus saith unto him, Have I been so long time with you, and yet hast thou not known me, Philip? he that hath seen me hath seen the Father; and how sayest thou [then], Shew us the Father?

Jhn 14:10 Believest thou not that I am in the Father, and the Father in me? the words that I speak unto you I speak not of myself: but the Father that dwelleth in me, he doeth the works.

Jhn17That they all may be one; as thou, Father, [art] in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that thou hast sent me.

And the glory which thou gavest me I have given them; that they may be one, even as we are one:

I in them, and thou in me, that they may be made perfect in one; and that the world may know that thou hast sent me, and hast loved them, as thou hast loved me.

Jesus was saying God was a force of love,not some man like being sitting on a throne.

If ye had known me, ye should have known my Father also: and from henceforth ye know him, and have seen him.

Jhn 14:8 Philip saith unto him, Lord, shew us the Father, and it sufficeth us.

Jhn 14:9 Jesus saith unto him, Have I been so long time with you, and yet hast thou not known me, Philip? he that hath seen me hath seen the Father; and how sayest thou [then], Shew us the Father?

Jhn 14:10 Believest thou not that I am in the Father, and the Father in me? the words that I speak unto you I speak not of myself: but the Father that dwelleth in me, he doeth the works.

Jhn17That they all may be one; as thou, Father, [art] in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that thou hast sent me.

And the glory which thou gavest me I have given them; that they may be one, even as we are one:

I in them, and thou in me, that they may be made perfect in one; and that the world may know that thou hast sent me, and hast loved them, as thou hast loved me.

Jesus was saying God was a force of love,not some man like being sitting on a throne.

Can we do without the stupid quotes from fiction books, please? They prove nothing.

Or do you want Scientologists to come in here and "prove" this or that with quotes from Ron Hubbart?

They like to post stupid quotes . That's their way of dancing around answering direct questions .

Hello Bling. I apologize, but I am a naturally inquisitive person and have always been interested in learning about people who say they were Christians but are not anymore. What made you consider yourself a Christian?

Hello Bling. I apologize, but I am a naturally inquisitive person and have always been interested in learning about people who say they were Christians but are not anymore. What made you consider yourself a Christian?

You may be waiting some time for a response, Iams.

Bling's account is currently closed, at her own request.

Tiggs

[Forum Mod Team]

You may be waiting some time for a response, Iams.

Bling's account is currently closed, at her own request.

Tiggs

[Forum Mod Team]

Yeah, after I replied I went back and checked and realized this was an old thread.

Can we do without the stupid quotes from fiction books, please? They prove nothing.

If we are trying to find out what Jesus taught, then regardless of whether the Bible is fiction or not (and that is very much up for debate) quoting the gospels seems appropriate. After all, if I want to know what the wizard Gandalf thought about the One Ring, I'd quote Tolkien to support my argument. It doesn't matter that Tolkien is an author and Gandalf is a fictional character, if someone is asked what Gandalf thought, we go to the text. If we want to know what Jesus taught about God then we quote the gospels. It's up to each individual to decide whether the Bible is a work of fiction, though.

Or do you want Scientologists to come in here and "prove" this or that with quotes from Ron Hubbart?

This website is here for people of many different faiths, and I'd personally love to have a Scientologist here to ask questions about their beliefs (even if that means putting up with quotes from L Ron Hubbard). Unfortunately, considering it appears that Scientologists have to pay large amounts of money for Scientology texts, and then are sworn to keep them secret so that others also need to pay large sums of money to find out what they say, I have a feeling we won't get someone here quoting Hubbard left and right and centre all that often.

~ Regards, PA

• Like 2