Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Unsolved Serial Killings Map

H.H. Holmes

Feel free to add another entry as long as it stays on topic. It should be a public map, so you will able to edit it.

Edited by H.H. Holmes

Fox, I've barely scratched the surface when it comes to the book. There are many cases it covers that I have not heard of before, even though I'm pretty well read when it comes to the subject. Like I said, though, it seems that people tend to forget entirely about these crimes, unless they have been directly affected by them or take an interest in searching for them.

• Like 1

Interesting concept!

Where it says "Unsolved Serial Murders" (if you could) instead give a city and the year(s) maybe. For example, when I looked at the Fort Worth murders (1984-85) I thought that they were in Dallas, on the zoomed out map.

Just an observation. :)

Maybe color code by decade?

Good suggestions, but I am kind of limited by what I can do with the google maps editing features. I don't know about color coding, I guess I can look into it.

• Like 1

I can't find any official information on 4 shot and beheaded victims, bodies dumped in secondary locations, in Houston in 1979. One woman was beheaded in her apartment and her body found in her apartment, but had not been shot. Another woman was stabbed and not shot in the same apartment complex and no mention of being beheaded in 1999 Houston Chronicle article.

Then I can only find the same repeated internet article (no official reference citations) but no newpaper report on one girl shot (not beheaded) and a boy stabbed and beheaded believed unrelated (to the two woman) that year.

http://www.chron.com...tal-slayin.html

Edited by QuiteContrary

Very impressive. Like the idea :clap:

I can't find any official information on 4 shot and beheaded victims, bodies dumped in secondary locations, in Houston in 1979. One woman was beheaded in her apartment and her body found in her apartment, but had not been shot. Another woman was stabbed and not shot in the same apartment complex and no mention of being beheaded in 1999 Houston Chronicle article.

Then I can only find the same repeated internet article (no official reference citations) but no newpaper report on one girl shot (not beheaded) and a boy stabbed and beheaded believed unrelated (to the two woman) that year.

http://www.chron.com...tal-slayin.html

I had to dig a little bit, but I found a Houston Chronicle article about the still unsolved killings. The killings are also known as the Orchard Apartments Murders.

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/article/Horrific-killings-in-1979-left-bodies-headless-3467505.php

Also, I don't mean for the map to be any deep source of information about the individual killings, but just a springboard for people to get interested in some usnolved cases they have never heard of before.

I had to dig a little bit, but I found a Houston Chronicle article about the still unsolved killings. The killings are also known as the Orchard Apartments Murders.

http://www.chron.com...ess-3467505.php

Yes, I live in Houston (new) so was interested in these killings. And yes, I found the same article but only 2 were beheaded and only 1 shot and only 1? head taken from the scene. And police thought Joann and Robert were unrelated to the two women.

Awful and gruesome just the same, I didn't know if you were referring to still other be-headings or confusing them with Dean Corll murders. Thx

Yes, I live in Houston (new) so was interested in these killings. And yes, I found the same article but only 2 were beheaded and only 1 shot and only 1? head taken from the scene. And police thought Joann and Robert were unrelated to the two women.

Awful and gruesome just the same, I didn't know if you were referring to still other be-headings or confusing them with Dean Corll murders. Thx

October 4 would lead them to the body of 16-year-old jean Huffman, shot to death and dumped beside a picnic table with her jeans unzipped. Nearby, her boyfriend's car was found abandoned on a used-car lot, the headless body of its owner, 18-year-old Robert Spangenberger, locked inside the trunk.

Michael Newton. The Encyclopedia of Unsolved Crimes (Kindle Locations 4097-4099). Kindle Edition.

You were right, I must of read through the entry in the book too fast. I corrected the description on the map with the right information. Thanks for pointing that out.

Good suggestions, but I am kind of limited by what I can do with the google maps editing features. I don't know about color coding, I guess I can look into it.

Bear with me. I took an intensive course in college called 'instructional design' (i.e. how people learn) about 22 years ago. Computers then hadn't caught up yet, and I'm waaay behind the times technologically.

If you can crack the color coding 'code', I'd suggest a rainbow effect for the decades;

Red = Current, post 2000

Orange = 1990's

Yellow = 1980's

Green = 1970's

Blue = 1960's

Purple = 1950's

Now's the time to make suggestions before you're too far into your project. :)

Edited by Likely Guy

Are there any books specifically on unsolved serial killings?

HH Holmes wrote:

Posted 08 September 2012 - 08:09 PM

"I've recently bought a book called the "Encyclopedia of Unsolved Crimes", it is a huge and volumous book. I've sifted through much of it to get to some of the more interesting cases."

Don't know of any specific to serial killings.

Now that I reread your post you were asking 'specifically'. So my post didn't help you at all. Sorry.

Edited by Likely Guy

Bear with me. I took an intensive course in college called 'instructional design' (i.e. how people learn) about 22 years ago. Computers then hadn't caught up yet, and I'm waaay behind the times technologically.

If you can crack the color coding 'code', I'd suggest a rainbow effect for the decades;

Red = Current, post 2000

Orange = 1990's

Yellow = 1980's

Green = 1970's

Blue = 1960's

Purple = 1950's

Now's the time to make suggestions before you're too far into your project. :)

Thanks, I'm going to take the interactive tutorial that Google maps offers. Hopefully, it will show me how to color code like you suggested.

There is a small concern with the color coding by decade, since some of these strings of murders span across two decades. It would make it a little difficult to categorize crimes that, for instance, began in the late-70's and continued into the early-80's.

Maybe some other criteria could be used as a basis for the color coding?

Thanks, I'm going to take the interactive tutorial that Google maps offers. Hopefully, it will show me how to color code like you suggested.

There is a small concern with the color coding by decade, since some of these strings of murders span across two decades. It would make it a little difficult to categorize crimes that, for instance, began in the late-70's and continued into the early-80's.

Maybe some other criteria could be used as a basis for the color coding?

You would have to establish your parameter somewhere. For example, a group of killings that start in 1979 and extended to 1982 would be green, because it started in the 70's. Or you could decide to color it yellow because most of the years occur in the 80's. You'd just have to explain that somewhere on your map.Also not sure how wide the color palette is with google maps (eg. lime green which is in between yellow and green) but you'll find that out in the tutorial I guess.

• Like 1

Here are three from my state (Oklahoma)...

1. "The Girl Scout Murders" - 13 June 1977 ... 3 young Girl Scouts (age 10) taken out of their tents at camp and bludgeoned to death... in Tulsa

2. "The State Fair Murders" - 26 Aug 1981 ... 2 13 year old girls hired to 'unload stuffed animals' at the State Fair - disappear - never found... 3 days later two 16 year old girls also disappear from the State Fair in Oklahoma City - never found.

3. From 1999 to 2003 - Five women working as prostitutes in Lawton, Oklahoma are found murdered along Cache Road.. .Linked to 1 killer by OSBI (OKlahoma State Bureau of Investigation) - not solved...

Edited by Taun
  • Like 1

Here are three from my state (Oklahoma)...

1. "The Girl Scout Murders" - 13 June 1977 ... 3 young Girl Scouts (age 10) taken out of their tents at camp and bludgeoned to death... in Tulsa

2. "The State Fair Murders" - 26 Aug 1981 ... 2 13 year old girls hired to 'unload stuffed animals' at the State Fair - disappear - never found... 3 days later two 16 year old girls also disappear from the State Fair in Oklahoma City - never found.

3. From 1999 to 2003 - Five women working as prostitutes in Lawton, Oklahoma are found murdered along Cache Road.. .Linked to 1 killer by OSBI (OKlahoma State Bureau of Investigation) - not solved...

Feel free to add them to the map, it would be good to collaborate.

• Like 1

Feel free to add them to the map, it would be good to collaborate.

Maybe I'm 'thick' or something... but it's not working for me... I've tried several times over the past few days and all I accomplished was to add a lake (by accident) which I was able to delete....