Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

7'4 Great Dane declared world's tallest dog

Still Waters

The Great Dane, who towers 2.2m (7ft 4") on his hind legs, has been named the tallest dog ever recorded in the latest Guinness Book of World Records launched on Thursday.

Measuring 1.12m from paw to withers – the point between the shoulder blades at which the official height of a four-legged mammal is judged – Zeus is officially the tallest dog in the world, the volume claims.

http://www.telegraph...allest-dog.html

• Like 6

Am wondering how he handles the fame. Hope he doesn't burn out on drugs and drink, like that last mutt.

• Like 2

I once had the pleasure of meeting a Great Dane when I was 12 or so.

All I remember was that it was huge, gentle, it's paws were bigger than my hands, and it's wagging tail hurt like being wipped.

• Like 3

All I remember was that it was huge, gentle, it's paws were bigger than my hands, and it's wagging tail hurt like being wipped.

My Uncle had a Great Dane named Sebastian. I always called him The Gentle Giant. He was a big dog to a petite girl like me. I loved going to my uncle's house knowing that I would see Sebastian.

They originally had 4 kids 3 cats 5 dogs but for some reason they now only have 2 kids 1cat & 3 dogs. :whistle:

I used to have a Dane/Black Lab cross but he was only about 35" tall. His hair was as soft and fine as a rabbits'. Great disposition, like you said, but for a child their tails are almost lethal!

*edit* a friends little girl got smacked straight across her eyes. As she was crying, she kept saying "It wasn't his fault!"

Edited by Likely Guy

Handsome dog but I wouldn't fancy clearing up his 'leavings' <_<

Years ago, a friend had a female Newfoundlander named 'Ursa' and he rented a small house on a small city lot. One year, winter dumped tons of snow (over 4 feet towards the end of winter). At the time it was a kind of good thing (frozen, more snow, don't have to deal with it right now)... until springtime.There almost wasn't one square foot in his back yard that wasn't 'covered'. It actually made the local TV news.

*edit* 'Ursa' used to have her own towel that we threw to each other when she came to visit you and bury her head in your lap. She had a drooling problem.

A beautiful dog and true, 'gentle giant'.

Edited by Likely Guy

Great Danes are huge. Where is the surprise. Now, if they had a Chihuhahua this size, that would something...

• Like 1

Yeah... I hate to be "this guy", but it's kind of unfair to have a great dane listed as the tallest dog... its very unfair, infact, to smaller dogs. There could be a 3 foot-tall sausage dog, and it would hardly get noticed because aparently Chihuhahua's to Great Danes are all classified as the same group, even with their obvious differences >.>

• Like 1

When I saw him stand with his owner, drinking from the kitchen tap..that's when it hit me WOW he is big ...He looks friendly too..

• Like 1

Years ago, a friend had a female Newfoundlander named 'Ursa' and he rented a small house on a small city lot. One year, winter dumped tons of snow (over 4 feet towards the end of winter). At the time it was a kind of good thing (frozen, more snow, don't have to deal with it right now)... until springtime.There almost wasn't one square foot in his back yard that wasn't 'covered'. It actually made the local TV news.

*edit* 'Ursa' used to have her own towel that we threw to each other when she came to visit you and bury her head in your lap. She had a drooling problem.

A beautiful dog and true, 'gentle giant'.

My Uncle, Aunt and 2 cousins over in Queensland have a... I don't know what bread it is. But it's like um.... One of those dogs with drooping-lower-side-lips that look REALLY mangled. He's a beautiful dog. Really friendly, but he has this insane issue with drooling. You sit on the big couch, and he lies across the other 2 portions of the 3 seater, and puts his head on your lap and sleeps. 2 minutes later you have to put your legware in the wash, unless your not a clean-freak like me. But he tail is lethal... slapped one of their cats and she slid like a foot across the floor, bearing in mind the floor is varnished wood.

I have two great danes and they tower over me when they stand straight up! It's strange though because I don't really like dogs (cat person), yet I have two of the biggest kind!!!!

It's a BFG ( Big Friendly Giant ) .................Actually there is a kids movie called BFG

Edited by Beckys_Mom

It's a BFG ( Big Friendly Giant ) .................Actually there is a kids movie called BFG

BFG is otherwise a well known term in the world of FPS video games, meaning Big Fu***** Gun, referring to the largest weapon in the arsenal. Bit off topic but anyhow.

On topic: That is not a dog, its a goddamn moose LOL.

Have a look at this Hound of Baskervilles. Its not a dog, its a demon. :D >>

giant-dogs-18.jpg?w=500