Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Arctic hunt finds mammoth remains

Still Waters

A Russian-led expedition has found what it says are well preserved mammoth remains in Siberia but has downplayed reports that the material could be used to clone the ancient beast.

The skin and bone were recovered from a tunnel dug into the permafrost in the Ust-Yansk area of the Yakutia region on Russia's Arctic coast.

The team hopes to find intact DNA that can be used to reproduce the creature.

But a member of the group told Reuters news agency this was doubtful.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...europe-19580558

Why would we do that? So we can kill it again for science?

I don't see much gain other then the awesome factor. And possibly the delicious factor.

• Like 3

Its funny cause I've seen many experts on TV say if one was brought back it wouldn't survive cause the earth conditions have changed so much since its time

Its funny cause I've seen many experts on TV say if one was brought back it wouldn't survive cause the earth conditions have changed so much since its time

Those experts must not have thought about the concept of a zoo

Those experts must not have thought about the concept of a zoo

But why bring them back, just to put them in a zoo? I guess SOMEONE would make a ton of money on it (thank you PT Barnum) but I just dont understand the need to bring them back. Its an elephant with hair, Im not going to rush out to see one.

But why bring them back, just to put them in a zoo? I guess SOMEONE would make a ton of money on it (thank you PT Barnum) but I just dont understand the need to bring them back. Its an elephant with hair, Im not going to rush out to see one.

Exactly- an elephant with hair. Because they would have to splice the genetic material of the mammoth with genes from an elephant. So, it wouldn't really be a mammoth, but a hybrid animal totally out of its element. We would see what they looked like and could make further biological and anatomical studies, but couldn't see how they developed within a migrating herd, for example.
  • Like 1

Well the umpteenth 'Mammoth will be cloned' story has emerged...

Excuse me while I don't get excited.

I hope they do clone one. I also hope for the Tazmanian Tiger too. There is so much to be learned from these species..Bring back the dodo! Didn't they also find T-rex soft tissue in a bone fossil? I bet somewhere in Nevada they are growing a T-rex...

I hope they do clone one. I also hope for the Tazmanian Tiger too. There is so much to be learned from these species..Bring back the dodo! Didn't they also find T-rex soft tissue in a bone fossil? I bet somewhere in Nevada they are growing a T-rex...

There are some that hope the Tazmanina Tiger is not extinct, there are even some who hold out hope for the Dodo...

Bringing back the Dodo would kill off a great saying though.

'Dead as a Dodo' would be dead as a Dodo... ;)

Edited by Junior Chubb
  • Like 1

There are some that hope the Tazmanina Tiger is not extinct, there are even some who hold out hope for the Dodo...

Looking on the bright side, Dodo was said to taste better than chicken.

• Like 1

Yeah, I routinely look online for sightings in Tazmania and the rest of Oz (as supposedly Thyacines were released there also once upon a time) but so far nothing convincing. Pity that.

Yeah, I routinely look online for sightings in Tazmania and the rest of Oz (as supposedly Thyacines were released there also once upon a time) but so far nothing convincing. Pity that.

You have probably seen this thread already but just in case you have missed it.

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=188572&st=0

Nothing new, just something you might like to read... :)

Why would we do that? So we can kill it again for science?

I don't see much gain other then the awesome factor. And possibly the delicious factor.

Absolutely right.. They will do it.. Already you can see how much the African Elephants suffer. Human beings are the worst creature ever to exist on this Earth.