Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What is this beast?

Nighter

It looks like a Griffin.

I was going to say Griffin, but the head isn't right..?

In reference to the jab I made at some people. I had assumed that in a cryptozoology section anyone who read 'classify this' would understand in what context I was speaking (which is species.)

So, seeing the first couple comments made me question their seriousness, hence the "troll much."

If its a misunderstanding, my bad, if not then its worth mentioning considering in a lot of places if its not picked up on that kind of thing continues on and on until a post is dominated. Encouraging that kind of crap just isn't my thing.

Thanks for the constructive replies to those who offered them.

Edited by Nighter

Maybe we should ask the admins to open a forum for people to post up crap like this........Bless me if I can see where it belongs in this forum?

• Like 1

As someone who once worked in a marine research centre, we would, quite frequently, get people coming to us to identify creatures/plants. Those folks would most commonly bring the 'thing' in, dead or alive. Other times, they would bring in a photograph. I can recall only one time when a drawing was brought in..

But ALWAYS, they would tell us the story - where it came from, what they were doing when they encountered it, etc. And in the same vein, especially if I or my much-more-learned colleagues couldn't be sure, we would ask various questions to help with the identification process.

So here we have a drawing, and despite the opportunity to do so in either the very first post (which is where it should have been) or later, the OP has declined to offer any information about where this came from, or why they are asking for an identification. I am guessing that if the story is fleshed out (eventually - one can but hope), this thread might better belong in the Writers and Artists hangout..?

My thought is that the OP drew something *totally wicked cool* and wanted to post it here so he/she/it could read cryptos telling him how *totally wicked cool* it was and basically get his/her/it's ego stroked. Or maybe sunnyblues created an alternate account so he could pop up and offer his theory on what it is. Who knows?

If you really want to know the backstory then I'll mention it even though it doesn't change the content I originally posted or give any extra flesh to it considering there's nothing but my word to go by (which I wouldn't expect anyone to take into account seriously.)

I posted this because a number of rural residents from a former property I was living at were all dreaming of the same creature at the same times (including myself) over the period of four months. The dreams involved watching said creature as though it was in the vicinity of each individuals land with full awareness of it being a dream.

During that time attacks began occurring on wildlife and livestock in the area that couldn't be explained via the usual predators of the area (foxes, feral dogs or cats, wedge tailed eagles or people.) The attacks stopped the night the reoccurring dreams ended.

I found it odd and no one ever found a logical explanation that actually fit the circumstances, so years later I've gotten the courage to ask around about it to see if I can connect any legends or mythology to the experience (not to say that it couldn't all be some freak coincidence.)

I still find the entire thing to be a bit disturbing, hence the lack of a backstory.

The first thing that comes to mind is a griffon. But calling it a dragon also would be a good description.

Also reminds me of the piasa bird...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piasa

800px-Piasa-Bird-Alton-IL.jpg

Or maybe a manticore. I don't think the historic manitcore has wings, but the D&D one does...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manticore

Edit: also some descriptions of the Chupacabra fit your drawing.

Edited by DieChecker

Is this something you drew for a story/comic book you're working on? Or is this one of those hypothetical-game questions like "if spiders had a favorite soda what would it be?"--ridiculous example, of course but you get the idea. In either case, with the draconic features combined with feathers, I would classify it as a reptilian animal cerca the late Jurassic period (that's for THIS world), if it is for an alternate realm, I would say a close relative of the dragon, perhaps a hypothetical title for the species could be draconem (Latin, "huge serpent, dragon") rapere (Latin, "to sieze/take by force", refers to birds of prey)?

Edited by TigressFlameroseX39

Ok so we have suggestions such as

- Griffin/Gryphon

- Dragon (japanese spirit variety or a relation of)

- Chupacabra

- some kind of hybrid mix (lizard-bird)

- insect (due to 6 limbs.)

- wyvern

- manticore

- piasa bird

- prehistoric reptile (late jurassic)

That's far more than I expected, so thanks.

I haven't even heard of a few of these, so I'm glad I attempted to make this thread.

I'll see if any of these directly relate to dreams, since that might narrow down the search too.

If you really want to know the backstory then I'll mention it even though it doesn't change the content I originally posted or give any extra flesh to it considering there's nothing but my word to go by (which I wouldn't expect anyone to take into account seriously.)

I posted this because a number of rural residents from a former property I was living at were all dreaming of the same creature at the same times (including myself) over the period of four months. The dreams involved watching said creature as though it was in the vicinity of each individuals land with full awareness of it being a dream.

During that time attacks began occurring on wildlife and livestock in the area that couldn't be explained via the usual predators of the area (foxes, feral dogs or cats, wedge tailed eagles or people.) The attacks stopped the night the reoccurring dreams ended.

I found it odd and no one ever found a logical explanation that actually fit the circumstances, so years later I've gotten the courage to ask around about it to see if I can connect any legends or mythology to the experience (not to say that it couldn't all be some freak coincidence.)

I still find the entire thing to be a bit disturbing, hence the lack of a backstory.

there we go, and i have no idea wat it is i guess it fits wat a dragon could be considered to look like.

Okay, I posted before I saw the backstory. Well, in the case of dreams there are way too many symbolic possibilities to list here with regards to dragons and dragon-like creatures, but you might consider the so-called Red Dragon (The Revelation 12:3), which was in fact Satan in disguise. I suggest researching demons or satanic symbolism in relation to dreams, if you think there might be something to this. Just be careful with what you type in as the search key, as I've encountered several sites relating to such topics that were riddled with computer viruses. Or better yet, try Google Scholar instead of Google Search. That could yield safer and better researched results.

Hope this helps.

I don't think seeing it in a dream would mean that it was created (physically) by that dream. It might simply be a natural prophetic ability that was expressed about something that was heard being talked about. It could be that the dreamed creature was simply an expression of what the dream was really about. Who/whatever was causing the problems would have been expressed in the dream as the creature, rather then as the person or animal it really was. Maybe it was a rabid dog, which had become so sick it was crazed and just killing till it died. Maybe it was a crazy person, who's self image was as a monster. Lots of ways to explain what happened.

Edited by DieChecker

What point are you trying to make? That there is a creature like this roaming around your town?

OK my turn.

With the drawing and description I'm about to give, if you had to categorize this what could it be (or be related to)?

Primarily a quadruped, but can move on two legs as well. Roughly 2-3 feet long and anywhere between 1 and 2 feet tall when on all fours. Not capable of true flight and uses growls for threat displays. External ears that can be folded into ridges in skull, hide is covered in fur. Has fur-like covering on chest and skull. Featherless spines and 'fur' can be raised on upper body when threatened. Very wide vocal range, good at sound mimicry. Has serrated teeth, three eyelids (two close sideways, outer eyelid reflective black) a hairy tail. Known to be carnivorous.

Coloring - unknown (most likely black fur.)

how-to-draw-a-cat-3.gif

• Like 1

OK my turn.

With the drawing and description I'm about to give, if you had to categorize this what could it be (or be related to)?

Primarily a quadruped, but can move on two legs as well. Roughly 2-3 feet long and anywhere between 1 and 2 feet tall when on all fours. Not capable of true flight and uses growls for threat displays. External ears that can be folded into ridges in skull, hide is covered in fur. Has fur-like covering on chest and skull. Featherless spines and 'fur' can be raised on upper body when threatened. Very wide vocal range, good at sound mimicry. Has serrated teeth, three eyelids (two close sideways, outer eyelid reflective black) a hairy tail. Known to be carnivorous.

Coloring - unknown (most likely black fur.)

how-to-draw-a-cat-3.gif

I say - is that the Jersey Devil?

I say - is that the Jersey Devil?

But i've personally seen this beast and so has many people in my area. Also i've never been to New Jersey.

I have also heard this beast can see in the dark, climb trees and attacks smaller animals, then eats them alive!

:tu:

But i've personally seen this beast and so has many people in my area. Also i've never been to New Jersey.

I have also heard this beast can see in the dark, climb trees and attacks smaller animals, then eats them alive!

:tu:

Eyewitness accounts can easily be explained. Evidence please. ;)

Edited by orangepeaceful79

Eyewitness accounts can easily be explained. Evidence please. ;)

Well really my account should be enough evidence. I know what I saw. This beast was fast, I mean real fast, no way in hell I could catch it. Then it ran into the bushes and it's eyes were glowing!!! A lot of people around here have seen them, so it's not like i'm just making this up.

:rofl:

Any neighborhood animals or people disappear?

Well i've heard reports that birds and small animals are prey for this beast. Also there is this one guy I haven't seen around in a while. Most likely the beast got him.

Another eye witness drew something similar to me. So this beast must exist.

catthecat0001.jpg

:wacko:

• Like 4