Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

NY Soda Ban Passed

Simbi Laveau

Well isn't that maybe the point? Not really banning anything so it's not too intrusive. But maybe it is about solely sending a clear message that something needs to be done?

I think its about testing the waters to see how far they can go before the public really pushes back. I doubt we have seen the last of this government sponcered health police state.

• Like 1

I think its about testing the waters to see how far they can go before the public really pushes back. I doubt we have seen the last of this government sponcered health police state.

I agree that they are probably also testing their boundaries. But why does everyone assume that if this passes that the next thing will automatically pass without any resistance?

Isn't it more wise to just pick your battles?

• 2 weeks later...

Did anyone see the TV show Parks and Recreation last week. They had an episode linked to the Ny soda ban. They were trying to regulate large sodas. They pulled out a huge (3 gallon or so) cup that read CHILD SIZE on it. When the burger joint rep was asked about it, she said it is roughly the size of a 2 year old girl if she was liquified.

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

Large-Soda Ban Blocked

New Yorkers who enjoy super-sized sodas can keep drinking them, for now.

Today (March 11), a state judge invalidated New York City's large-soda ban, which was set to take effect tomorrow. Judge Milton Tingling, of the New York Supreme Court, called the measure "arbitrary and capricious," according to The New York Times.

The measure would have prevented the sale of sodas and other sweetened beverages larger than 16 ounces. Mayor Michael Bloomberg saw the measure as an opportunity to make the city healthier, citing sugary drinks and large portion sizes as culprits in the obesity epidemic.

http://www.livescience.com/27821-large-soda-ban-blocked.html

• Like 1

smart judge too, blocked the ban right before it was set to begin, so bloober has no time to conduct a "study" of effects of large cups.

A lot of folks thought this large soda ban was a good idea...I firrnly disagree.

Why should everyone suffer because a handful of idiots cannot control themselves? Do some people not understand this is practically a textbook example of "the Nanny State"?

It is not the job of the State to "protect" stupid. It's like all the safety warnings on products...if someone is an idiot, they might need to be removed from the gene pool instead of being protected so they can create little stupid people. One of my all time favorites is the sign on the continuous cloth roll handtowel dispensers in public restrooms that says "Do not hang from towel by neck"...I say...if you are dumb enough...go right ahead...Darwin awards anyone?

tc503d1c30.jpg

• Like 3

i live in nyc, i don't know a single person that thought the ban was good idea.

I think it is a good idea only because it doesn't affect me. I'm curious if it will have a positive impact.

I am a big believer in states (cities) rights.

One of the main reasons the judge blocked it was because there were so many loopholes and exceptions in the ban that it would be more than useless. It was a feel-good law that would have accomplished nothing.

• Like 1

A lot of folks thought this large soda ban was a good idea...I firrnly disagree.

Why should everyone suffer because a handful of idiots cannot control themselves? Do some people not understand this is practically a textbook example of "the Nanny State"?

It is not the job of the State to "protect" stupid. It's like all the safety warnings on products...if someone is an idiot, they might need to be removed from the gene pool instead of being protected so they can create little stupid people. One of my all time favorites is the sign on the continuous cloth roll handtowel dispensers in public restrooms that says "Do not hang from towel by neck"...I say...if you are dumb enough...go right ahead...Darwin awards anyone?

tc503d1c30.jpg

My best friend said,"when my husband and I go to a movie or sporting event,we buy one large,and share it. Is this guy kidding ?"

One of the main reasons the judge blocked it was because there were so many loopholes and exceptions in the ban that it would be more than useless. It was a feel-good law that would have accomplished nothing.

And somewhere,the mayor's office would get a kickback ,in some form. Fuhrer does nothing unless it benefits HIM .

smart judge too, blocked the ban right before it was set to begin, so bloober has no time to conduct a "study" of effects of large cups.

If you live in NY,tell EVERYONE YOU KNOW ,NOT....NOT to vote for christine Quinn. She is worse than he is,and it will be more of the same and worse,if she's elected .

Share this with anyone who will listen . http://votequinnout.com/fact-sheet/