Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Widespread protests against U.S.

Ashotep

CBS News....Confrontations between demonstrators and police were reported in Yemen, Sudan and Tunisia; crowds were dispersed by police firing tear gas and water cannons. And in Tripoli, Lebanon, where a KFC was set on fire, one person was killed and 25 wounded after clashes between police and protesters, security officials said.

Additional protests were reported in Jalalabad, Afghanistan; Indonesia; Malaysia; Kashmir, India; Islamabad, Pakistan; Bangladesh; Lebanon; the West Bank and Gaza; Kuwait; Bahrain; and Iran.

Widespread protests against U.S. over anti-Muslim film

Sounds like things are getting worse. When will it end?

i see that they seem to have attacked the German embassy in Khartoum. I'm not sure why, unless it's just that they're stupid and thought that it was the American one.

• Like 3

I think this will die down in a week or so. It's just the clerics showing their control over the ill informed masses. The sooner clerics lose their dominating influcence over the general population, the better those countries will be.

• Like 1

Perhaps someone prefers their KFC to charcoal grilled...

• Like 1

Seems a protest in Indonesia is only had a few hundred people there and were actually outnumbed by the police forces deployed to help guard the embassy. So the largest Muslim country in the world isn't massively upset over this as of yet.

• Like 1

yet is the key word here

they should make more insulting movies so all muslims become upset :D

When will it end?

When the policy ends. The insulting film is just fluff to distract the sheep from the elephant in the room, our foreign policy. So long as the policy continues, the hatred and resentment will continue, and the terrorist attacks on our countries will continue. I say this every time another outburst erupts.

To borrow 747400's word, this whole distraction is "stupid". The US can actually be blamed for dumb little stories like this, again, because of its policy.

• Like 2

yet is the key word here

It's not difficult for those who want to be offended to find a reason.

BUT, of all the possible legitimate reasons for the extremists of the Islamic faith to take issue with the Western world, and the USA specifically, this 'movie' has to be the most ridiculous.

There is no double standard in the western world when it comes to criticism of religion, you could easily find examples of Americans, Brits, French or any nationality insulting any religion you wanted to name.

For most Brits, blasphemy is an everyday part of language.

Criticising religion is not something that is ever going to stop in the secular west.

We have an expression "Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me".

If people really do want to get exercised over some stupid badly made movie designed to offend them then that's their right. If they want to PEACEFULLY PROTEST over that movie then that's fine too.

Even if they want to protest outside of an embassy simply because the person who gave the percieved offence is from that country.

BUT!

Attacking embassies and murdering diplomats are the actions of barbarians and the spontaneous outpouring of regret and shame expressed by the Lybian people shows that they reject this barbaric and shameful behavior.

The Diplomatic mission and what it represents is the very cornerstone of international relations and has roots that span thousands of years that almost every civilised nation has always respected regardless of their faith/religion or race. When any group or nation disregards this fundamental tennant of international relations the implications are dire.

You don't have to like a country to respect it's diplomatic mission. You can even be engaged in hostilities, but you don't murder their diplomats.

Official messengers and representatives have always been granted immunity from harm and safe passage, the diplomatic mission is simply an extension of this ages old tradition. Even those opposed to US or western policy in the M.E should UNRESERVEDLY condem ANY physical attack on an Embassy or member of the diplomatic staff.

• Like 3

Some people take their religion seriously. It's as simple as that. Other people take other things seriously.

Imagine the roids that would flare up around here if a poster made a stupid video against abortion, female health care, or atheists. All the fur flying would be okie duh dokie then, and the word rage would get all thumbs up

Moral of the story: To each, his own.

Bizarre YouTube clip ‘Innocence of Muslims’ infuriated faithful, baffled mediaMcClatchy Newspapers (Lindsay Wise)

09/14/2012 1:12 PM

The mysterious movie that sparked furious protests at U.S. embassies across the Middle East this week might not even exist.

The film “Innocence of Muslims” appears to be little more than a hokey, badly dubbed YouTube clip promoted by a handful of fringe Christian fanatics bent on provoking a violent response from the Muslim world. They got their wish after the amateurish YouTube “trailer” went viral online and was aired by an Arabic satellite channel.

http://m.mcclatchydc.com/dc/db_97939/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=87zC0ccq

Edited by ExpandMyMind
  • Like 1

yet is the key word here

I think the Muslims should get over their inferiority complex, then a badly made movie by some blunderers and other talent-lacking bible thumpers would not really matter anymore.

• Like 3

There may very well be more insulting movies about Islam and christianity but that is freedom of speech. I don't want our constitution changed to suit anyone. If they made a movie like this depicting Jesus instead of Muhammad christians would be very upset but I bet they wouldn't kill an ambassodor or destroyed a embassy.

The US government and most american citizens had nothing to do with making this movie. I had never heard of it until the riots brought it to my attention so I watched the trailor. There's no way I would want to sit through the whole movie. It was a stupid piece of trash. It only was watched by so many because of their riots.

• Like 3

I was going to post this some place else but it was gone before I got done. But I don't care I am going to have my say.

I was going to reply to somebody, but they deleted their account. Oh well. :st What I was going to say is you can throw that red herring "The Christians did this and that... the Jews did this or that... around all you want," Its not going to work, because I am not a Christian or of the other Abrahamic faiths. I am a Neo Pagan. If I went off the nut every time someone insulted my religion there wouldn't be enough hours in the day to do anything about it. I don't care about your religion, I don't like your religion and I have every right to say it. But nobody has the right to take a peaceful man's life for something he had nothing to do with and even if he had. It is just an opinion. Don't like the movie write a letter and complain to youtube. If I take your your little book and throw it in the fire, then buy yourself another one. It is just paper and ink. 5000 years from now when the people of Abraham have bomb themselves to dust, no one will care about your books. Done, got it out. Grow up.

• Like 2

The riots had nothing to do with the film. They were pre planned.

I don't want our constitution changed to suit anyone.

How many amendments does your constitution have?

What is the difference between Flaimbaiting on a forum, or publishing an anti-islam movie at a time where relations between the Middle-east and West could hardly get any lower?

IMO, no difference.

Edited by Professor T

The riots had nothing to do with the film. They were pre planned.

How many amendments does your constitution have?

27, but not because there was a group that wanted something but always because there was a circumstance that needed to be clarified because the law was silent on it.

When the policy ends. The insulting film is just fluff to distract the sheep from the elephant in the room, our foreign policy. So long as the policy continues, the hatred and resentment will continue, and the terrorist attacks on our countries will continue. I say this every time another outburst erupts.

To borrow 747400's word, this whole distraction is "stupid". The US can actually be blamed for dumb little stories like this, again, because of its policy.

So why aren't the protesters voicing their anger over foreign policy? Why are they losing their **** over a movie if, as you claim, it's just fluff? Why are they demanding actors be killed instead of policy makers.

American foreign policy has caused plenty of issues but blaming it on the riots makes no sense. If there's any misdirection going it's the clerics demanding that anyone who questions or mocks their faith be killed.

Edited by Corp
  • Like 1

27, but not because there was a group that wanted something but always because there was a circumstance that needed to be clarified because the law was silent on it.

Sorry, I wasn't suggesting it be changed to pander to fundamentalist religious types, I was merely attempting to show Hilander that the constitution already has been changed, and will probably, as times change, be altered again and again.

American foreign policy has caused plenty of issues but blaming it on the riots makes no sense. If there's any misdirection going it's the clerics demanding that anyone who questions or mocks their faith be killed.

The riots had nothing to do with the film.

The people doing the rioting disagree with you.

Sorry, I'm getting my wires crossed. It was the attacks on the embassies that had nothing to do with the film.

• Like 1

Sorry, I'm getting my wires crossed. It was the attacks on the embassies that had nothing to do with the film.

Ah ok. :) Well the attack on the Libyan embassy seems to have been carefully planned and focused. The ones on the Egyptian and Yemen ones though appeared to be p***ed off protesters who want the film maker and actors dead. I'm sure the acting wasn't that bad. :P

I think for the riots that were pre-planned, the film probably jacked their anger up a few notches. But I also think there has been other events that were triggered by the film. People that might not quite have been on the riot boat decided to hop on after seeing the film.