Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

55-year-old parrot, dies after signing off

Still Waters

The African Grey parrot Tarbu, believed to be one of the world's oldest domestic parrots, uttered his final farewell to Nina Morgan, 89, as she made her way to bed.

He was so weak the next morning that he couldn't manage his usual greeting of "Hello, my darling" and dropped dead from his perch.

Mrs Morgan believes his longevity was down to a life of "being spoilt" - from munching his favourite Kit Kats to watching Emmerdale and Coronation Street every night.

He lived an eventful life having been rescued from an animal trader in Tanzania in 1957 and was once taken into police custody after going missing.

The parrot was known for being vocal and would shout "Cheerio, bye, see you soon" to Mrs Morgan every time she left the house.

http://www.telegraph...-a-cheerio.html

We saved our first cockatiel from a hawk in our front garden. He was tame, very friendly, loved tea towels and tissues (with tissues, we used to put them ontop of him and he'd look like a Ye Old ghost costume. If you held a tea towel infront of him, he'd chatter away for hours, and if you had enough product in your hair, and if it was long enough, he'd make a nest while he sat on your head. Unfortunately, he died a year after we rescued him. Mum found him on the bottom of his cage lying on his side, and all day she tried to help him for as long as she could. I didn't get home in time from finishing school, so I never got to say goodbye to him. :(

I have a Golden Mantelled Rosella Parakeet. They only live 15 years in the wild and have been known to live up to 20 in captivity. Mine is 23. I never taught him to talk but he says the odd thing. And i do spoil him. He loves salt n vinegar crisps, green beans, sweetcorn, chips and squirty cream. Maybe why he has lived so long.

Mrs Morgan believes his longevity was down to a life of "being spoilt" - from munching his favourite Kit Kats to watching Emmerdale and Coronation Street every night.

So the parrot was a soap junkie too lol..I find that very cute and so lovely.. It is like having another intelligent being with you.. Sorry for laughing a little at this bit...I just found the parrot amazing...Just picturing him watching the soaps munching on kit kats... that is funny ..I wonder if he yelled at the TV like the rest of the soap viewers..saying - "Squak No don't do it, you can't slepp with him, he is your long lost brother......ohh no Squak no" lol ( I joke in a harmless way on that )

But the sad thing is.. the poor fella past away.. and I would imagine the poor woman was lost...I am glad she did spoil him.. I think it gave him great innings...

I felt the same away about my old dog.. he too was spoilt..and he had good innings too

I am always astonished by our pet's pragmatic intelligence and particularly their ability to comunicate with us. They learn the concept of their names, they read the intonation of our voices, they read our facial expressions, and they may even pick up a few words of our language. And, when was the last time one of us really learned to communicate in parrot, or cat, or ...

Cheerio Tarbu...

I remember reading a kids novel about an African Grey that was extremely intelligent but only talked to the boy who owned him (early 80's, boy gets pet he doe not want and they become great friends), its a long shot but does it ring any bells for anyone?

I would love to get a copy and read it to my kids...

My last words are going to be great.

I've been thinking about 'em for awhile.

Immortality does give you the time to do such thinking...

Edited by Junior Chubb

Thats so sad R I P Tarbu now I'm missing my little bird Ziggy she would sit on your shoulder & snuggle into your neck. :cry:

And a fond cheerio to you Tabu...

Birds I the parrot family are so smart and once the bond us created they are loyal friends.

My buyers says, "Watcha doin? Hello, whay the hell?" Sings

Rest in Peace Tabu... you will be remembered! I will name my fourth bird after you... I currently own 3 birds and they are all happy when they see me. Alvin loves to say his name over and over... can't teach him anything else for some reason.

Rest in Peace Tabu... you will be remembered! I will name my fourth bird after you... I currently own 3 birds and they are all happy when they see me. Alvin loves to say his name over and over... can't teach him anything else for some reason.

Damn, wish I had a Pokemon :(