Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What's your geekiest hobby?

Bling

I have several...

I have played RPG's for the past 40 years - still do...

I am a miniature wargame enthusiast - mostly Ancients, English Civil War/Thirty Years War and Napoleonics...

I play board games - mostly war games...

I collect old maps... - I just like maps, I don't know why...

I am currently modeling (building things - not prancing down a run way) using the Hirst Arts molds http://www.hirstarts.com/

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I am schizophrenic in my geekiness...

I am retired military and now working in the financial industry where I make some VERY good money. I am married and have three kids - all of whom are into sports and are either in college or soon to be there. I have a BA in Environmental Studies and am working on my thesis in social genetics (how cultures drift because of genetic variations and mutations).

And in my spare time, I play D&D (Pathfinder, specifically), and am finishing up a source book for my campaign world that I hope to get published. I read avariciously - anything from fantasy and sci-fi to historical treatises about Medieval society and culture...

I also play keyboard and guitar in a classic rock/punk/disco band.

Yeah, I'm a phreaking ONION I have so many layers!!

• Like 1

Maybe sewing by hand, fixing up old stuff and decorating with it. I also go to the library but don't hang out there. I just grab some books/CDs/DVDS and leave.

Hobbies, hmmm, I am interested in so many things that my hobbies almost become tedious at times. A lot of stuff I have tried for awhile, didn't stick with, I am famous for that. I play guitar as a hobbie, and I also love making things out of nothing. I make knives in my spare time. Usual out of old used pieces of scrap steel. Anything really from old files to leaf springs. As long as it is hard enough. I hunt and fish religiously so most of my knives are outdoor oriented blades for myself, family, and friends. Geeky? Maybe or maybe not. It is fun and takes my mind off of the stress for awhile.

Mike

I meditate every day. Been doing it 35 years plus now. It quiets the mind.

I also play electric guitar every day.

Come on, you guys aren't even trying now. Someone say they play the Keytar or something.

herbie-hancock-keytar-cool.jpg

• Like 1

So, I do a lot of bead embroidery and bead weaving to make jewelry... I'm really good at it. But I dont know that it's particularly "geeky"

What is geeky? I love to create Fractals like the one in my avatar. THAT my friends is totally nerd. LOL.

Well this is a very geeky thing to bring up I think. None of my closest friends even know this. But I like playing Pokemon on the DS. I hate the stupid child like dialogue in the game but love the training and figuring out the best pokemon to take on another. Very underrated game IMO.

Would love to buy a Solid Snake or a Metal Gear Rex action figure. But I still live at home with the olds, and if they saw me buying 'toys' they would probably start thinking I'll never move out haha. Plus if I have a girl over (which is rare nowadays <_< ) and she saw it, it might not go down too well for my image lol!

Play-Arts-Metal-Gear-Solid-Snake-Sneaking-Suit-Ver-06.jpg

• Like 1

:blush:

Okay, there is art. But then there's art you make sitting at your computer.

Sometimes I think of this video when I am doing this hobby, and laugh to myself:

[media=]

[/media]

Haha, I love Tim and Eric. They're in Australia at the moment I think, but not touring my city. :angry:

Just watched The King of Kong, sounded like a good doco. I enjoyed it, didn't realise there was such a dark underworld to arcade gaming haha. Awesome ending too.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

When i was little, i used to play all the Crash Bandicoot games on playstation 1 and 2!! I still do, but not in the same frequency!! :D

Edited by CuriousGreek

I breed insects, arachnids and plants. Been armchair educating myself in mushroom and other fungi, as well as taking some field work, cataloging the local invertebrates.

I also spend about six hours a day researching anything that comes to mind, from clouds to the sexual behavior of the Canadian goose. Now I just need a way to actually recall all the stuff I read!

Homebrewing, astrophotography/astronomy, RPGs.

I used to collect suncatchers 7 years ago during my Feng Shui period.

suncatchers2.jpg

suncatchers1.jpg

Edited by braveone2u
  • Like 2

I don't know if you consider this geeky but it feels like it to me...

I write all the British pop charts and football scorers.

So my house is a complete mess with paper full of scrawls.

I wouldn't call it hoarding because you can still find a path.

Edited by Medium Brown

• 3 weeks later...

Still a gamer at age 43. PS3 4 Life!!! ...or at least until PS4 shows up. ;) Lately I've been playing a lot of DC Universe Online. Huge download but the basic game is free and a fun MMORPG imho. To balance out that geek factor, my cooler hobby is a little home recording studio with an iMac and Pro Tools 10.

I collect edged weapons. Swords, daggers, spears etc. I'm not even sure if it's legal in the UK nowadays.

• Like 2

I collect edged weapons. Swords, daggers, spears etc. I'm not even sure if it's legal in the UK nowadays.

I've got three swords and a dagger (that matches one of the swords)...

I have a nice basket hilt rapier (not sharpened)

A heavy two hand claymore (or Claidhmor if you prefer)

and my favorite a reproduction Irish ring hilt hand and a half with matching dagger (both sharpened)

There is just something about the feel of a well made blade in your hand (not a violent thing - just the feel of a well designed tool)

• Like 1

I've been collecting for many years and have about 150 items, some genuine and a few (interesting ones) repro's. A lot of them are Japanese - Katanas, Wakazashis, and a beautiful Jin-tachi with a very old blade. My piece-de-resistance is probably a Zulu assegai blade brought home from Africa by my Greatx2Grandfather who was with the 17th.Lancers at the Battle of Ulundi.

Edited by ealdwita
  • Like 2

Awesome... An authentic assegai is a rare bird indeed.. particularly one with a tie to your family...

Sadly none of mine are heirlooms - though my nephews are fighting over them all ready - little do they know that one of my neices will probably end up with them (she's an Army combat vet as am I - the boys are just college kids...)

• Like 1

So as I mentioned a few pages ago, I collect merchandise associated with the anime Fairy Tail. I'll put it all together for a photo later but the list is now at:

- 8 posters

- plushie bag

- plushie coin purse

- wallet

- figurine (trying to get more >.< )

- 8 phone charms

- 3 keychains

- 6 plushies

- 1 pillowpet

- messanger bag and wallscroll waiting to be delivered :D

In addition to that, I collect coins, books, and DVDs

• Like 1

I collect Lego. All kinds- whether it be the kiddie duplo or the awesome technics

I'm always modding/customizing my computer with new and better upgrades as and when I am able to afford them.

I collect manga

I am aiming to be the person who has read the most books :P I'm on book number 753

I collect WWE trading cards

I collect One Piece related merch

Pushin' a wheel with a stick.

rumbystick.jpg

Real man's sport.

• Like 1