Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What's your geekiest hobby?

Bling

I held an interest in sciences such as meteorology, seismology and demography (this one is a social science instead of natural). I sure got a shake-up from the M4.7(?) earthquake yesterday epicentered 20 miles SW of Indio Cal. but knowing about the mechination of earthquakes, nothing to worry about. 4 days ago we had some rain overnight and sounded good to hear the rain drops tap the roofs and gutters. About demography: I sure keep up the pace of an extra 100,000 "snowbirds" or seasonal residents staying in my community during the winter months, but I expect on average 24 new permanent residents a day.

I've had Google Street View all this time!

• 3 weeks later...

I like to play mmorpgs...when I actually can. Other then that, anything Star Wars, LoTR, fantasy, or superheroes. Just a true geek here!

I collect stickers, read and watch Doctor Who. I guess that's geeky.

• 4 weeks later...

Definitely hacking the old school Sonic games as well as some other Genesis titles is my geekiest hobby. I love to analyze the games' code and see what makes them work, that way I could insert my own code and change the game drastically or just a bit to my liking. :)

I've been playing a lot (too much if I'm honest about it) Minecraft Feed the Beast Mod. For anyone who has played Minecraft and thought it needed machines or computers or things like that then I can't recommend Feed the Beast enough. It can be a bit technical (the computers are fully programmable) and a little overwhelming for anyone who has only played vanilla Minecraft but once you get into it there's no going back.

One other thing that I'm surprised nobody mentioned. UM is about the geekiest thing I do. :lol: :tu:

• 2 weeks later...

With an advanced knowledge of maps to know what roads are, I'm watching the Tour de California bicycle race on NBC sports as the tour crosses Palm Desert, Rancho Mirage and into Palm Springs, I'm familiar with most of the roads' names (including residential ones) and can tell anyone (if they care) what are they're called. (LOL). :whistle:

• 7 years later...

Not sure if this is geeky but I watch Kamen Rider and Ultraman

Been a woodworker for 30 years now.

While being grounded for the last several months due to viral stuff... I finally had time and set about making a fully functional scale replica of one of DaVinci's catapults.  Dual suspension arm design.  The whole thing came about from a small spoon I carved out of wood due to boredom... looking at it I thought... perfect for a Catapult launch... 

Good news?  After finishing it and playing with some calibrating, my son and I have found it will launch an almond accurately up to 30 feet down our hallway and still knock over a can.

Bad news?  It's grape season... my wife is not gonna be happy when she gets home.

• Haha 1

My next project is going to be a 1:32(ish) scale Viking Drakkar Longship.  Fully functional with working rigging lines, sail and mast lock, removable oars and shields and storage bins in the hold. 

I've finished my research, collected the design drawings I'll need, many of my patterns are already transferred to paper... just need to decide what wood to work with and get to cutting.

Painting my Warhammer 40k models, gaming and looking through my telescope when Wales decides to give me a lovely clear night sky!