Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Is the bible bogus?

markdohle

Yes

One day we will live in a society where one can believe the Bible is bogus but have no need to say it to those who believe it is not (respecting their beliefs).

Also a society where one can believe the Bible is sacred but have no need to try and convince those who think it is bogus and even respecting their beliefs.

Until then we will continue with this stupidity: this tribal, backward thinking and a weak sense of ethnics that allows and even encourages to degrade what others hold sacred

Edited by Chasingtherabbit
  • Like 5

Damn youtube vids I can't watch here at work. grr.

But to answer the question I'm not sure if "bogus" is the word I'd personally use. Do I think way, way too much emphasis is placed on the Bible? yes. Do i think that it is the Divine word if God set down through the hands of those who wrote it? No. I believe that God (or the divine if you will) exists within us all. So that in a loose interpretation, it could be said to be the "word of God." By that same metric however, so could this post I'm writing right now.

I think the Bible's importance is defined more by what the individual chooses to do with it, and less on what it actually is. If the teachings of the Bible are used to enrich and empower the reader and those connected to the reader then I think the Bible is being used as it was origninally intended. When it is used to divide and demean, I think it is further from its original purpose.

So I think the Bible's value (also that of the Quran, Torah, etc..) is in its ability to connect with the divine within us and to perhaps inspire us to be better, more compassionate and loving people.

Edited by orangepeaceful79
  • Like 2

[media=]

[/media]

I kind of see the middle ground. The historicity of Jesus is there but it was also historically acceptable to mythicize. Even Christianity, aka its approach to the Bible, is not uniform even now but especially in the early centuries when so many groups had different beliefs. That the one group with the most military power decided on the "official version" only also sheds some light especially today when we can see our own government's narrative of war is not exactly accurate.

Of course one can understand it is a myth and choose to believe for the comfort it provides, and a part of their mind really does believe in God, while at the same time accepting how the Bible even came to be, who decided what books, and if it is really a problem there are more options than simply leaving a church, if you love the traditions and community, then don't, but if you are not particularly enamored of modern organized religion one can still choose many other interpretations and varieties of expression of worship, even borrow from the practices that early Christians, or even contemporary, have done or still do to make a highly customized approach to faith.

Edited by Chasingtherabbit
  • Like 1

It is a typical skeptic and theistic debate on Youtube. Theologian doesn't seem to know anything about Greek or Roman mythology if he thinks there are no resurrection stories in them, but he wins the debate by virtue of getting more talk time even though much of what he says is not accurate. I have an a copy of Plotinus' The Enneads and have read the whole thing and I know the part he is talking about. I never got the impression he was refering to Christ (Jesus). Nobody does except those grasping at straws. The guy is a waste of a PhD that is for sure.

One day we will live in a society where one can believe the Bible is bogus but have no need to say it to those who believe it is not (respecting their beliefs).

Also a society where one can believe the Bible is sacred but have no need to try and convince those who think it is bogus and even respecting their beliefs.

Is the Bible bogus? If that means a deliberate fraud, the answer is no. The people who wrote it were expounding truth as they saw it. The Bible is very much a product of its time and reflects the knowledge, thinking and world views of its authors. The time(s) were just after the Babylonian Captivity for the OT and the early second century for the NT; although it was copied/paraphrased/retold, at least in part, from documents that had been around for a few hundred years already.

Can one find inspiration in it? Absolutely. But then, inspiration is where you find it, whether that is a moon-lit desert, a sunset over the Tetons, the pages of the New Yorker, or (especially) Playboy. With the right mindset it is inspiring.

Should we respect the beliefs of others? The irony of religion is that those who most-profoundly believe that the world will end, through their self-righteous dogma, may actually bring that about. By no means are such views respectable. It is time to respect the earth; it is our home, our only home. We must learn to get along instead of acting like babies. We must grow up - or die.

Doug

• Like 3

We must grow up - or die.

Even if we never grew up.. we will still pop our clogs one way or another

Absolutely not. The Bible is the most credible, solid text that I have ever read. I would believe that over anything that Stephen Hawking, Richard Dawkins, Charles Darwin, Michio Kaku, or Albert Einstein ever said!!!!

• Like 1

Absolutely not. The Bible is the most credible, solid text that I have ever read. I would believe that over anything that Stephen Hawking, Richard Dawkins, Charles Darwin, Michio Kaku, or Albert Einstein ever said!!!!

I am with Alienated Being on this.. I feel the exact same ..well except I have not heard of Michio Kaku ..lol :P

Edited by Beckys_Mom

Is the Bible bogus? Absolutely, but there are, unfortunately, people who believe otherwise.

• Like 1

Until then we will continue with this stupidity: this tribal, backward thinking and a weak sense of ethnics that allows and even encourages to degrade what others hold sacred

You've been reading The Five Basic Rules of Stupidity, haven't you. I think was number 3. Started to post this, then wanted to be sure you knew I wasn't calling you stupid.

Edited by Beany

• 3 weeks later...

The Bible is a Fairytale written by bored Arabs (Yes Arabs) Hundreds of years ago,, it is in the same Vein as that of King Arthur

Ewe cannot remove the Views and Opinions as written in the Bible,,, for Thousands of people all over the World would wake up within a Mindless enviornment with no continuity of Life,, The Bible and it's writings are their Life

Much like the birth right of all Americans, Evangelical Religions and Assault weapons

This is supposed to be a joke right?

I am with Alienated Being on this.. I feel the exact same ..well except I have not heard of Michio Kaku ..lol :P

Kaku is a top physicist that has written books for the average person.

Is shakespeare bogus? Is Greek mythology bogus? Is the Consititution bogus? They are works of literature that should be understood in their context. None of those works are bogus, but reading them and taking them as truth without understanding the context is as dumb as believing in Jack and the Beanstalk...

The Bible is a Fairytale written by bored Arabs (Yes Arabs) Hundreds of years ago,, it is in the same Vein as that of King Arthur

There is a new one for my book of jokes...

The Bible is an embellishment. However, I don't think it's accurate to call it bogus when there is not sufficient evidence to absolutely discount all of it's contents; although, a good portion of it was clearly the work of someones overactive imagination! What was it I learned... never trust the work of an author writing in first person!

The amount of blood that has been spilt over this one book is phenomenal, same goes for most of the others too. All it has ever brought is segregation and conflict... I bet whoever wrote it is having quite a chuckle however.

• Like 1

The amount of blood that has been spilt over this one book is phenomenal, same goes for most of the others too. All it has ever brought is segregation and conflict... I bet whoever wrote it is having quite a chuckle however.

:devil: