Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Should we upgrade the intelligence of animals

Still Waters

Well, it finally happened. As we reported last week, scientists have successfully enhanced the intelligence of rhesus monkeys using a brain implant, albeit temporarily. Futurists and science fiction authors have speculated about this possibility for years — and now the reality is upon us. And it's clear that this precedent-setting breakthrough is just the tip of the iceberg: Ongoing advancements in pharmacology, genetics, and cybernetics hold huge promise for the further development of "uplift" technologies.

The question now is: Should we go around enhancing the brains of other living creatures? Do we have the right? Would we live to regret it?

http://io9.com/59438...ence-of-animals

No I don't think we have the right, but I'm sure others would disagree as humans claim to be the superior species on this planet, though most days leave me wondering...

• Like 1

We play "god" far too much already.

It's a lack of respect for nature to mess with things. It would just come back around and bite us on the rear.

• Like 1

I personally think that experimental brain surgery on primates is about as evil an act as I can easily imagine.

But the question of increasing the intelligence of other species is interesting.

It will be done with gene manipulation I have no doubt.

Dogs for sure are going to get it.

Not necessarily just an increase in intelligence, perhaps more focusing on speech.

What's that Lassie? Little Timmy fell down the well?

A dog that could speak (and we know they can understand several dozen words already) would make a very useful comrade.

It will happen. For good or ill.

Some humans however are desperately in need of an upgrade.

Some humans however are desperately in need of an upgrade.

Anyone we know ? :unsure:

All I can picture is Pinky and the Brain and Bugs Bunny or actually the secret of nimh. On the plus side when the animals finally rise up and take over the planet they would be easier to take down then a robot.