Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Papyrus refers to Jesus' wife

Imaginarynumber1

Jackofalltrades qoute-

What if Jesus was talking to his wife, telling her to behold THEIR son, and also told His son to behold his mother ?

Wouldnt that be a turn up for the book's.......

I am NOT stating that is what it is, just one possibility, that not a lot of people have thought of (as far as I am aware)

And from that hour that disciple took her unto his own home.

Jackofalltrades qoute-

What if Jesus was talking to his wife, telling her to behold THEIR son, and also told His son to behold his mother ?

Wouldnt that be a turn up for the book's.......

I am NOT stating that is what it is, just one possibility, that not a lot of people have thought of (as far as I am aware)

And from that hour that disciple took her unto his own home.

I am not too sure what Your response was aiming at, if it is what I think it is then..... the Bit's I bolded out was the bit of Your post that I was quoting in my previous post, I did not miss the part You reposted

I think what you are saying was this beloved disciple may have been Jesus`s grown son.However in the tomb of Jesus it says Judah son of Jesus. Judah was the youngest son of Mary and Joseph the baby boy of the family, and Jesus as the oldest may have took the role of Father after Joseph had died.

The Talpiot Tomb discovered in 1980 is postulated by some to be the tomb of Jesus and his family. It contained 10 sets of remains, and one of a child with the inscription "Judah, son of Jesus". The Discovery Channel documentary, The Lost Tomb of Jesus, speculated that the "Beloved Disciple" was Judah.

All I know is Mary Magdalene was not the beloved disciple, or she would`nt be running to tell this beloved disciple. :) :) and When Jesus saw his mother there, and the disciple whom he loved standing nearby, jesus was speaking to his mother, not to mary of magdalene

http://en.wikipedia....hom_Jesus_loved

Edited by docyabut2

John- 19 Now there stood by the cross of Jesus his mother, and his mother's sister, Mary the [wife] of Cleophas, and Mary Magdalene.

When Jesus therefore saw his mother, and the disciple standing by, whom he loved, he saith unto his mother, Woman, behold thy son!

Then saith he to the disciple, Behold thy mother! And from that hour that disciple took her unto his own [home].

( son) (his )That was John Mark ,Jesus`s consin who wrote the frist letter about Jesus.

Now then, it says "..there stood by the cross of Jesus his mother, and his mother's sister, Mary the [wife] of Cleophas, and Mary Magdalene. [period] The "disciple standing by" could only be Mary Magdalene. Otherwise the sentence would have read, "..there stood by the cross of Jesus his mother, and his mother's sister, Mary the [wife] of Cleophas, Mary Magdalene AND the beloved disciple. Jesus was pleading with Magdalene [his wife] to take his mother into her home [not "his"..there were no men named standing by..and the bible is very particular about naming who was where when] and likely care for her since he knew he was done for. The bible was redacted and translated many times. By fallible men, not gods. And back then patriarchy was everything. Elevating a woman to the status of disciple was simply a non-starter. No males in power would have it, Jesus's urging or not. If you're going to make Magdalene a mysterious anonymous "John" [the only disciple..the most important one too don't forget..without a lineage named for him], you would have to rework that unfortunate passage and insert "his" where "her" should've preceeded "home"..

The beloved disciple at the cross is not named, but most think he was John Mark, Jesus consin who wrote the frist gospel. A scholar and a writer, had to be a witness at the crucifixtion to describe the actual events that did happen to Jesus.

Hmmm...Interesting indeed. Regardless of what the truth is, it already happened. More confusion will come as the end of mankind is near.

I believe that before the end time's the truth shall be made known worldwide, until then there will be confusion

• Like 1

The beloved disciple at the cross is not named, but most think he was John Mark, Jesus consin

No, there were only THREE cited in the passage with Jesus at the cross. And all three were female, women, and all named Mary. The one said to be closest to Jesus in Philip's Gospel was Mary Magdalene. In fact her "beloved" status to Jesus was a topic of a spat between the other disciples who envied how much time Jesus spent with her. The passage at the cross did not say "and then the beloved disciple walked up, showed up on a camel, etc.". It only named three people, all women, near the cross and had Jesus address one of them as his "beloved disciple".

The fact that the word "his" before "home" appears may be in perfect keeping with all the other circumstantial evidence that "John" was created to replace Magdalene's accounts. Facing stark facts of the day: no woman would be allowed to be revered as the "closest and most beloved to the saviour". It simply wouldn't happen. And if it did happen, they would've redacted it beyond a shadow of a doubt. Too much chaos of that culture would've ensued to suddenly reverse hundreds if not thousands of years of staunch customs regarding the [non] status of women. "A woman! Closest to the saviour! Not on my watch.."

And so the first redaction began.. And it began right in Jesus' closest circle of diciples who already were fighting about dis-including Magdalene's accounts almost from day one after the crucifixion.

If you're going to make Magdalene a mysterious anonymous "John" [the only disciple..the most important one too don't forget..without a lineage named for him], you would have to rework that unfortunate passage and insert "his" where "her" should've preceeded "home"..

You're thinking to hard, Occams razor.

You're arguing that One of the three present was "his" wife, therefore she likely shared HIS home. Jesus asking his wife to take his mother into his home.

'SSilhouette'

No, there were only THREE cited in the passage with Jesus at the cross. And all three were female, women, and all named Mary. The one said to be closest to Jesus in Philip's Gospel was Mary Magdalene. In fact her "beloved" status to Jesus was a topic of a spat between the other disciples who envied how much time Jesus spent with her. The passage at the cross did not say "and then the beloved disciple walked up, showed up on a camel, etc.". It only named three people, all women, near the cross and had Jesus address one of them as his "beloved disciple".

The fact that the word "his" before "home" appears may be in perfect keeping with all the other circumstantial evidence that "John" was created to replace Magdalene's accounts. Facing stark facts of the day: no woman would be allowed to be revered as the "closest and most beloved to the saviour". It simply wouldn't happen. And if it did happen, they would've redacted it beyond a shadow of a doubt. Too much chaos of that culture would've ensued to suddenly reverse hundreds if not thousands of years of staunch customs regarding the [non] status of women. "A woman! Closest to the saviour! Not on my watch.."

And so the first redaction began.. And it began right in Jesus' closest circle of diciples who already were fighting about dis-including Magdalene's accounts almost from day one after the crucifixion.

A side from the other opinions I posted, I do consider Mary Magdalne may have been this beloved disciple.In reading the bible, they do have this beloved disciple laying on Jesus`s bosom in the mountain:), but does any of it really point to the fact that he was married to her. I do believe she was the women that he had saved from stoning, and was lazarus`s sister, that he had brought to her home to untie with her family, and that he did love her very much, but wife is still questionable.

just going by turditions here through out history shows that back in this time frame the women is who took care of the dead preping the body to be layed to rest so i would geather it was the chics who was there....(smh)

There is no evidence the mythological figure of Jesus existed, no physical or archeological evidence. At least no more than Homer or any other ancient literary work period.

"It's yet to be verified as authentic, but even if it is - out of context, it's impossible to say what it's referring to. It could just as easily be a verse from the Old Testament that Jesus was quoting, or part of a parable that he was telling the disciples."

You realize IF Jesus existed he couldn't have quoted the Bible, it was written hundreds of years after his death.

I`d` wait to see if this fragment is a forgery.The owner`s name is not given, or where it was found and why as now that it was brought forward.

Forgery or not, the passage in the bible at the crucifixion names just three witnesses present beside Christ nailed to the cross. All three were women; and Jesus spoke to one, his "beloved disciple" and told "him" [her] to take Jesus' mother Mary into "his" [her] home. That is the smoking gun for many biblical scholars who contest that "John" [of no family lineage named, the singular exception with all the disciples] was really Magdalene and that such strong custom of the day forbade women from any status equal to men, that they "had" to change her to "him"or "his" in the passage at the mount. Whoever wrote the passage was telling the world something about what was really going on..

Edited by SSilhouette

'SSilhouette- qoute-

Forgery or not, the passage in the bible at the crucifixion names just three witnesses present beside Christ nailed to the cross. All three were women; and Jesus spoke to one, his "beloved disciple" and told "him" [her] to take Jesus' mother Mary into "his" [her] home. That is the smoking gun for many biblical scholars who contest that "John" [of no family lineage named, the singular exception with all the disciples] was really Magdalene and that such strong custom of the day forbade women from any status equal to men, that they "had" to change her to "him"or "his" in the passage at the mount. Whoever wrote the passage was telling the world something about what was really going on..

A side from the other opinions I posted, I do agree with you. I do consider Mary Magdalne may have been this beloved disciple.In reading the bible, they do have this beloved disciple laying on Jesus`s bosom in the mountain:), but does any of it really point to the fact that he was married to her. I do believe she was the women that he had saved from stoning, and was lazarus`s sister, that he had brought to her home to untie with her family, and that he did love her very much, but wife is still questionable. And please don`nt go into that debate of the churchs of who Mary Magdalene really was. I pretty convinced she was the women Jesus had saved from stoning and the seven demons.

As you might know I am also going by the psyhic Cayce`s past life readings, and who knows a psyhic might know something.:) He did state a phrase similar to that effect. If I reading it right.:) He did say this women entity went to notify Jesus`s mother, as indicated in the holy writings he gave, behold the women to you she is given be to her a son in my stead .This women then took Jesus`s Mother to her home and then later they went to John`s home to establish the Mother.

I do consider Mary Magdalne may have been this beloved disciple.In reading the bible, they do have this beloved disciple laying on Jesus`s bosom in the mountain:), but does any of it really point to the fact that he was married to her.

Well, old Edgar Cayce was right about some things but he stretched himself too thin. His guides warned him not to do sessions too often but he did anyway. And in the end I think it affected his seeing. When you're tired, the organic mind can overlap on true seeings and impose itself on them. I find it easier to hang my hat on nothing and just look at emperical, eyewitness and circumstantial evidence and then make an informed decision after that.

instead of being a harlot, I think Magdalene came from a family of some means..as memory serves. It probably served the jealous apostles to say she was a harlot though. What more perfect slur to immediately dethrone her importance at the right hand of Jesus. Men and women didn't just pal around together. That culture did not allow that unless the two were married or related by blood. So her being repeatedly cited a "The Beloved Disciple" "closest to Jesus" means she was his wife. That is the meaning of "wife" back in those days. Men didn't travel and officiate in public with their whore at their side. Folks tended to get stoned for stuff like that.

Cayce was pretty clear .Mary Magdalene was not the kind Jesus would have married, all though he loved all.

Also in the second passage in The Gospel of Philip that concerns Mary Magdalene. But Christ loved her more than all the disciples and used to kiss her often on her ?.( never said mouth) The rest of the disciples were offended by it and expressed disapproval. They said to him, ‘Why do you love her more than all of us?’

If Mary was truely Jesus `s wife, why would the other disciples be so offended and express such disapproval of him kissing her, or caring for her.Surely if Jesus had been married to Mary then his special affection for her wouldn’t have been an offense

Edited by docyabut2

Roman customs or laws dealing with the burial of crucified criminals, we find some guidance in DJ 48.24, which gives the clement views of Ulpian and of Julius Paulus from the period CA. AD 200. The bodies of those who suffer capital punishment are not to be refused to their relatives.

If Mary Magdalene was truely his wife, she would have been allowed to take her husband`s body.

If Mary was truely Jesus `s wife, why would the other disciples be so offended and express such disapproval of him kissing her, or caring for her.Surely if Jesus had been married to Mary then his special affection for her wouldn’t have been an offense

So was Jesus' wife down with him consorting regularly and exclusively with the woman Magdalene? I'm thinking "no" on that rhetorical question..lol..

And as to the deceased and who got the body, Mary his mother surely would've been allowed his body also. But wasn't. Curious..

SSilhouette - qoute

And as to the deceased and who got the body, Mary his mother surely would've been allowed his body also. But wasn't. Curious..

Curious as well in reading the Bible. Matthew ,Mark and Luke do not have Jesus`s Mother at the cross.

Matthew 27-56

Among which was Mary Magdalene, and Mary the mother of James and Joses, and the mother of Zebedee's children.

Mark15- 40

There were also women looking on afar off: among whom was Mary Magdalene, and Mary the mother of James the less and of Joses, and Salome;

Luke23- 49

And all his acquaintance, and the women that followed him from Galilee, stood afar off, beholding these things.

Luke 24-10

It was Mary Magdalene, and Joanna, and Mary [the mother] of James, and other [women that were] with them, which told these things unto the apostles.

Sounds like convenient redacting to me. Either there were three women only close to the cross or three women "afar off" or two women or "all his acquaintance".

Looks like someone early on said "hey wait a minute.." about the passage at the cross with only three women and the "beloved disciple" comments Jesus addressed one of them as. After all, if you're going to make Mary Magdalene a "he" named "John' as the beloved disciple, you'd have to convince all the monks and scribes that changing the Holy Account of history was "the right thing to do".. And these conflicts, instead of lending credence to a male "beloved disciple", instead lend an eye of suspicion about the True Account of history.. And because they foster suspicion towards the bible, as well they should, their sloppy redaction lends suspicion therefore on all the other accounts within. Who changed what, for which political purpose...and when? It is a blasphemy on the Word of God to change the true identity of the beloved disciple.

The devil couldn't have done a better job...hey...wait a minute...!

homerdoh.jpg

Edited by SSilhouette

Cayce was pretty clear .Mary Magdalene was not the kind Jesus would have married, all though he loved all.

Also in the second passage in The Gospel of Philip that concerns Mary Magdalene. But Christ loved her more than all the disciples and used to kiss her often on her ?.( never said mouth) The rest of the disciples were offended by it and expressed disapproval. They said to him, ‘Why do you love her more than all of us?’

There is no way on this earth anyone can say whether or not someone would marry another person or not or if that person is the kind of person they would marry, unless they are that person (if that make's sense lol)

Even though it does not state mouth, it also does not state it was not her mouth in fact it does not state anything

Why would Jesus kiss any woman as much as he did Mary Magdalene if she was NOT his wife ?

Why would he care and love her more than his disciple's if Mary was NOT his wife ?

Why would the other disciple's be so jealous or envious of Mary Magdalene ?

My theory to the last question would be that Jesus and Mary was married, and that due to them being married they often talked (like married couple's do) when they was on their own in private

And due to that, the other disciple's grew jealous and envious due to them feeling like they was being left out of the loop, they themselve's wanted to know everything that Jesus knew of and did not want Mary to be the special one that had more knowledge of such thing's that they did not know or wanted to know of

There are numerous Mary's in the Bible, and due to that fact there is no guarantee that Mary Magdalene was THE Mary that was saved from stoning and the seven demon's

And also, due to the fact of the council of Nicea changed or omitted some Gospel's part's of the Bible then it is also possible they re wrote some part's to suit their own agenda