Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Diana Vicari dismemberment-murder case

Lucas North-justiceseeker

Wow. I wonder what the point of cutting her arms off was ,as it wasn't to conceal her id,if they were what was found .

The police suspected that they left her arms to be found because they wanted her to be ID'd. That is possible. It's not a sure thing that the dumpster will have a visitor that will find them though. So i haven't ruled out carelessness. But they did leave her ring on her finger. Not that it was valuable but it was another way to ID her.

• Like 1

I also want to add that I was 16 when she died just 2 weeks after my birthday so I was not of age to go hang out at any bars unless they had a teen night. I am very sorry that I can't help you out more.

As I mentioned I am working on convincing the authorities to reopen and re-investigate. Hopefully now it will be done thoroughly and tactfully leaving no stone unturned.

Thank you for you passion, and your desire for justice to be served.

• Like 2

Lets analyze this a little deeper....

Prion lived on La Osa street at the time of Diana's murder, same block where her car was left behind.

Mazure shows up to work the morning after Diana's disappearance in a disoriented state exhibiting bizarre behavior and is fired.

Hatton is good friends with Mazure and displayed psychotic tendencies in his girlfriends son's abuse.

Diana's car is left parked in front of Robert Encilla's fiance's mothers' house.

Prion+Mazure+Hatton+Encilla family=???

Edited by Lucas North-justiceseeker

I agree it sounds like all these people were involved in some way with her disappearance. We should look into this further.

I thought it was Encila's mother's house. I need to look back on that info. Regardless, that just fits together somewhat.

Your sister Debbie was the one who said it was the fiance's mothers house. On the link to her tribute video to Diana there is an option that undo's a sort of journal about the case, this was posted on Youtube I believe in early 2008 and remains up to this day.

"I wrote this song for my sister Diana Vicari three months after her arms were found in a dumpster. This video is more intense.

The Vicari name was already famous for a very bad reason. I had to take a break as life got too difficult. Murder's aftermath can bring great hardship. But I am becoming active in the victims rights groups and being an advocate again which is one reason for my becoming involved in the public arena again. There is a guy that is missing that is a huge suspect in my sister's murder dismemberment case. JOHN MAZURE. I am thinking that maybe.. just maybe.. if I can get THIS video out.. with the news article and his name JOHN MAZURE - maybe somebody will know where he is. Maybe somebody will know who murdered my sister. Maybe it was somebody else but people have been contacing me about HIM A lot lately. Her murder is unsolved. The internet can work miracles. I am praying youtube can help solve this cold case. Please help. It only takes ONE person to know. Please pass this around. Please.

Another suspect was LEMUEL PRION. Diana was also dating her drama teacher. My Mom was searching for Diana at both his place and his fiancees' house. Consequently, the house where Diana's car was found was a house in escrow belonging to the fiancee's MOM. Pretty interesting eh??? Yeah a who done it if I ever saw one! Diana's purse was in her car like she was only there for a minute and only took her keys in. I always suspected him but the police said he passed a lie detector test. I am not convinced. It was the night of drama class she disappeared and they had an affair going. Yup a who done it! HIS name is Robert Encila. When I met him years later he never said he was sorry about Diana.. ONLY that he remembered the day was the anniversary becauae he was a murder suspect. I still suspect him because he never said anything kind about Diana to me her own sister. Others have mentioned the fiancee being a suspect. Good point. The DNA that is new COULD be male or female. We are still waiting as of September 6th. Welcome to my world. These, in my opinion, are the three (four) prime suspects. I put my money on Encila. Everybody else does John Mazure. The detective still believes it was Lemuel Prion but there is room for doubt. The cops convicted Prion and it was overturned and he is a KNOWN serial rapist possibly murderer out walking the streets.. OUR streets. Yes.. could be a who done it movie - sadly it is real life."'

Edited by Lucas North-justiceseeker

Let me just clear up something. The Vicari name was never famous beforehand, much less for a bad reason!!! I don't know why Debbie would say that and make our family look bad. There was some inner family drama, but never beyond that and certainly never famous for a bad reason.

Sadly, I think Debbie's publicity was actually distracting and made it harder to see the truth, despite what her intentions may have been. So please don't take too seriously Debbie's info on the case, or about Diana. I have more reasons for saying this but won't disclose them. Just trust that I know what I am talking about regarding my family. After all, I am the one that is still here. I am the sole survivor, and reason #1 they are/were my family.

I know that was just a quote copied and not a comment but I felt It was a perfect opportunity to share that with all.

Edited by avicari

I was wondering if anyone out there knew who the detective is that is currently assigned to this case?

Mazure tried to bite of a co-workers nose,allegedly had a cocaine addiction and freaked out at work the morning after Diana was last seen. This sounds like a mentally unstable lunatic, not a professional killer. It is likely he was killed by his co-conspirators and not "on the lamb" with a fake id. I believe he co-conspired with either Hatton, Prion or the Encilla's or maybe all four to kill Diana. Why freak out that morning after in the bar? Why lie to police about knowing Diana? It is documented he has a history of violence against female co-workers, tried to bite the nose off of one and rape another at his apartment after work. The only record of John Mazure I could find in Arizona was an old Yuma address;5707 Us Hwy 80, Yuma, AZ 85365. If anyone who worked with him or knew him is out there please come on this forum and tell us all you know about him.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Hello all,

I was the legal assistant for the Lemuel Prion case. I am now retired and can talk freely about the case, but do not think this is the way to properly do it. Lucas is there anyway to talk either in person, or by phone. Angela, I did reach out to Debbie before her death, but the police advised her not to talk to me. I am 100 percent sure that Lemuel had nothing to do with Diana's death. Hatton and Mazure were better susepcts. Robert Encillas' fiancé at the time of the murder is not currently married to him. The were divorced years ago, but she still was sticking to her alibi of him. I have also called the TPD tip line and offered my assistance after seeing the cold case unit is looking into it. I care about what happened to Diana, and tried my best to figure out who did it, but in the long run, I was told it was my job to help defend Lemuel, not solve the case. But things have changed......

Hi, All. I know this case has been reopened as of a couple of weeks ago. I hope it continues to be looked into, because this wall is helping me with this loss and also, both Debbie and Diana keep asking me too look a little closer into it, even though they know who did it now that the ladies and mom are gone they want us to put the killer to rest. Tamster thank you for your help and even though I had not been in con tact with them for awhile, the situation keeps comming up in my head for some reason.

Hi, All. I know this case has been reopened as of a couple of weeks ago. I hope it continues to be looked into, because this wall is helping me with this loss and also, both Debbie and Diana keep asking me too look a little closer into it, even though they know who did it now that the ladies and mom are gone they want us to put the killer to rest. Tamster thank you for your help and even though I had not been in con tact with them for awhile, the situation keeps comming up in my head for some reason.

So sorry about your sister:( I feel who ever it may be was really jealous of her caring for someone else by the removing of her arms. Her boyfriend`s girl friend seems to fit the jealous aspect.

Edited by docyabut2

He denied seeing her that night. But he did know her. He was arrested for sexual assault on a child 5 months later. 95 year sentence

How did he deny seeing her that night when he specifically told me that she invited him to the moshtoberfest? I know what he told me word for word the day she turned up missing. He was very nervous shifting his weight from leg to leg and popping his fists behind his back in rythm. I will never forget Hatton's reaction when I asked him if he had seen her the day I found out she was missing.

Slight correction. The case was not reopened, it is under review. It was never closed. It just went cold.

HI, According to the news, it was cold and being reviewed, thank you for the clarification. Let me know how its going okay, I would appriciate it.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello all,

I was the legal assistant for the Lemuel Prion case. I am now retired and can talk freely about the case, but do not think this is the way to properly do it. Lucas is there anyway to talk either in person, or by phone. Angela, I did reach out to Debbie before her death, but the police advised her not to talk to me. I am 100 percent sure that Lemuel had nothing to do with Diana's death. Hatton and Mazure were better susepcts. Robert Encillas' fiancé at the time of the murder is not currently married to him. The were divorced years ago, but she still was sticking to her alibi of him. I have also called the TPD tip line and offered my assistance after seeing the cold case unit is looking into it. I care about what happened to Diana, and tried my best to figure out who did it, but in the long run, I was told it was my job to help defend Lemuel, not solve the case. But things have changed......

Email me with info on Mazure's current whereabouts if you are serious.

Encilla was more then likely working with Hatton-Mazure. Why was her car found at Encilla's fiance's mothers adress?

I am thinking jealous fiancé wanting to get rid of the "competition". She definitely had to be involved. The thing that baffles me is the arms.

Maybe the killer wanted her body to be identified and reckoned there was not enough evidence for a conviction on them and that's why they left them behind.

I am thinking jealous fiancé wanting to get rid of the "competition". She definitely had to be involved. The thing that baffles me is the arms.

Maybe the killer wanted her body to be identified and reckoned there was not enough evidence for a conviction on them and that's why they left them behind.

If they wanted the body identified, why put them in trash bags? Then why leave a ring on her fingers? This tells me the motive was not robbery and they were trying to conceal the body. There are countless dumpsters around a big town like Tuscon, they probably disposed of the body in multiple areas. Maybe after Diana's arms were discovered, they returned to other dumpsters and retrieved the rest of her body and buried her, I hope so because that is the only chance of her body ever being recovered. There is no way the Tuscon Police Department would search a landfill for a body that had two decades worth of garbage buried on top of it. Hatton and Mazure know something, that is clear based on their actions. My best theory is the fiance and/or Encilla hired them and maybe Prion to either kill Diana or dispose of her body.

The morning of Friday October 23rd, John Mazure showed up to work freaking out at the New Orleans bar where Diana was last seen alive around midnight several hours before. He was fired for his bizare behavior and has a history of violence towards women, even biting the nose of a female co-worker. While Hatton, according to Diana's sister, acted very suspicious when asked if he knew what happened to Diana. Hatton and Mazure were good friends who shared a love of cocaine. Hatton was a user/dealer, who shortly after Diana's death graduated to meth and was arrested the following June for raping and savagely abusing his girlfriends child. He was later given a life scentence while Mazure went MIA. Both Hatton and Mazure seemed to be part of a circle of friends that included Tabbitha, a prostitute who filed charges against Lemuel Prion, the man who was aquited of Diana's death. Hatton sold drugs out of a Chevron where he worked at Craycroft and 22nd while Mazure had employment at Eegees, where Diana worked and where the nose biting incident happened, in addition to the New Orleans bar where Troy Olsen worked. Olsen was the one who claimed Prion was the man Diana was last seen alive with.

The biggest hurdle in Diana's case is that there are too many lowlifes who she hung around with and these lowlifes all had a credible motive for killing her which confuses the hell out of anyone investigating the case. In addition, without the rest of Diana's body, there is very limited material evidence availible, The most telling, outside the arms, was where her car was found-Encilla's fiance's mothers house, and who she was last seen alive with-Prion, allthough Olsen did not identify him until August of 1993 after initially denying it was Prion in October of 1992. For all you know, Olsen was in on it too. I believe he moved to Nashville and became a country musician. Yes this story keeps getting more bizzare.

So at the end of the day, here is what we know about our suspects current whereabouts...

Lemuel Prion-Psychopathic child molester who currently resides in Utah. Unfortunatly free as a bird, but thankfully on registered sex offender list.

Gregory S. Hatton-In Arizona State prison for life, by the time he is elligible for parole, he will be well over the age of 100.

John Mazure-Unconfirmed match found in Idaho on a Facebook profile with slighly altered name. Debbie Vicari said she was told by investigators that he was missing, that was on her Youtube page in aprex 2007/2008. In 2009, Debbie unfortunatly passed away during a surgical procedure, so she was never able to give us an update on either the search for Mazure or the new DNA tesing she mentioned was being done. I cannot stress the importance to you the reader on finding Mazure as he likely knows everything or at least a hell of a lot that we dont.

Robert Encilla-The king of Tuscon's theatre scene. He is married to Ginny and has several children, allthough Ginny may not be the fiance from 1992. Someone on another site said it was a women named "Judy".

• Like 1

I don't know why that seems like it would be a better reality, to have some stranger have done it. But, I think it does somehow feel "better" to think that was a stranger. Sadly, in cases like this it's usually an acquaintance or even close friend.

Close to the time of her murder, Diana was hanging out with a lot of sleazy characters. She always wanted to be part of the crowd, sometimes even if it wasn't a crowd you want to associate with. Ask yourself why she would have even been with a sleazy guy like Lemual Prion.

I know she had been hanging out with a hooker who lived on miracle mile(now Oracle Mile). Tabitha was said to have suggested prostitution to her as a way of making money. I also heard rumors of her possibly trying to sell some pot to make money. She was working at Bazils and at Eegee's, where John Mazure worked. John had been reprimanded recently for attempting to bite a workers nose off. I tried to contact Eegees about the records but was told the files had long since been destroyed.

John Mazure was friends with Greg Hatton aka Greg Hall. who were both heavily into cocaine and other drugs and know from my own experiences that the crowd of guys were very violent and sadistic for the most part. I even at one point remember them all standing in a room with a sword talking about what it would be like to cut someones arms off. I don't know if it was connected, but definitely a strange coincidence. DNA evidence will solve this case. We just need to test the arms and the potential suspects.

The other possible reality could have been Encillas and his fiance murdering Diana by accident after an argument at that house. I think Encillas used to take Diana to that house his mom owned to have sex with her. Maybe the fiance got wise and chaos ensued.

I could see them murdering her accidentally, then desperate to get rid of the body cut it into pieces. However the arms resembled something you would see out of a horror movie. They were riddled with cactus quills and cuts. A condition that iterated a possible escape attempt or something in the desert.

Dianas car broke down at the Moshtoberfest that night, and her "friends" left her and went to the party, near where he car was found.

I could see her possibly calling this "person" for help, not realizing the danger she was putting herself into, or maybe this person had been stalking her, dismantled a part of her car, they would be able to easily fix; then conveniently showing up when she was broke down.

But it does seem unlikely in some ways that she was being stalked, because he would have no way of knowing that her friends wouldn't help her with her car. They just happened to blow her off, and leave for the party. Unless Lemual had been stalking her. He was said to have threatened Tabitha with a survival knife. Maybe Lemual had become obsessed with Diana. I am going to look into finding out exactly what it would take to have the case reopened and the arms tested. I pray to G-d, the arms haven't somehow been lost.

That is one of the other main problems with this case. I think there was a prostitution ring being covered up by our police force, and the murder of Diana was diverted away from that so that the police force wouldn't be held responsible. That does seem crazy, but amazingly enough there was tons of lose ends the police disregarded. And with no concrete answers, you have to turn over every possible rock.

@ Nathan, how exactly did you know the arms were covered in "cactus quills and cuts"? What about this prostitute Tabitha? How close was she to Hatton/Mazure? I assume Hatton sold drugs to her right? I heard she changed her name and somewhere awhile back somone here or on another sie said she moved to New Mexico.

• 2 weeks later...

Nathan, Her arms are buried already. At cemetary. I hope you find out what or who did this. Even though she got caught up with the wrong people, she still deserves to be found.

• 4 months later...

Wow I just thought of this case after watching a unsolved mystery video on youtube. I knew Diana back when she was dating a friend of mine from high school. Last I had heard they had found the killer in Utah. I am saddend to hear that he was not the killer.

Just wanted to throw out there that the bartender/witness, Troy Olson, is not the musician that LucasNorth mentions in his post, but a current Tucson resident and completely decent human being who was certainly not involved in any cover up for the benefit of some creepy co-worker or coke addicted baby rapist. The investigators revisiting this case should have no trouble finding him if they want to re-interview him concerning Prion, Mazure, or anyone else involved in this heinous crime.

I have one question, if anyone might know the answer it would shed some light on a bizarre incident from the weekend of October 23, 1992 - does anyone know what kind of vehicle (if any) any if the potential suspects in this case owned or had regular access to?