Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Diana Vicari dismemberment-murder case

Lucas North-justiceseeker

Just wanted to throw out there that the bartender/witness, Troy Olson, is not the musician that LucasNorth mentions in his post, but a current Tucson resident and completely decent human being who was certainly not involved in any cover up for the benefit of some creepy co-worker or coke addicted baby rapist. The investigators revisiting this case should have no trouble finding him if they want to re-interview him concerning Prion, Mazure, or anyone else involved in this heinous crime.

I have one question, if anyone might know the answer it would shed some light on a bizarre incident from the weekend of October 23, 1992 - does anyone know what kind of vehicle (if any) any if the potential suspects in this case owned or had regular access to?

So what you are saying is the Troy Olsen from Tuscon who was mentioned in this provided article is a different person than the Troy Olsen who worked at the New Orleans Lounge bar and claimed that he saw Lemuel Prion leave there with Vicari on the night of her death? You seem to know Troy Olsen well, what does he say about Mazure and Hatton? Did he or do you know anything about Robert Encila?

http://www.kvoa.com/...s-tucson-proud/

Edited by Lucas North-justiceseeker

Exactly - the Troy Olsen in the article is not the Troy Olson who testified against Lemuel Prion. He seemed very sure that Prion was the man he saw with her that night the one time I discussed the case with him many years ago, and while I still know him, it's not something I would feel comfortable bringing up all these years later. It was clear that he was very bothered by this case, and who wouldn't be?!?!? Additionally, I was asking about the car because of something I witnessed in the alley where Ms. Vicari's arms were found that Friday night, having nothing to do with Olson - I hadn't even met him yet, and wouldn't got about 5 more years. So again, if anyone has any info about the cars, please post!

Thank you for clearing that up I figured since Tuscon is a small city and Troy Olsen isnt a very common name. What was this something you witnessed? ALlot of people have brought up the satanic graffiti especially this guy called Rob James on Facebook. Does this have anything to do with Barbara Troy?

Not so much a something, but a someone. At the time, I obviously had no idea that my friend & I were standing just feet from that dumpster, but we were two 15-year-old girls walking alone from the transit center to the DPC who took an unwise turn & ended up right there. Some creeper drove up on us & offered ONE of us a ride (he specifically said just one of us could go with him). It was definitely not Prion, and probably has nothing to do with anything, but it always struck me as creepy. It also seems very bold to dispose of body parts in such a busy alley - he could have dumped them almost ANYWHERE else & they would never have been found.

Thank you for clearing that up I figured since Tuscon is a small city and Troy Olsen isnt a very common name.

I have been reading the post and remember this case from when it happened.

My family know of a Troy Olson who lived in tucson and is a decent guy...not the musician as he would be in his 50s now.

Please be aware that the tucson metro area has nearly 1 million people with 500,000 inside the city limits and had 750,000+ in the metro area in the early 90s.

Mr Encilas is a High School Drama teacher here and I believe that this he is married to a different woman now.

and please be aware that Tucson is spelled T U C S O N, although tuscan chicken is tasty, Tucson has its own spelling..

THANK YOU

Edited by arizonamatt1

Diana Vicari was last seen alive around midnight on October 23 1992 in Tuscon,Arizona.Her severed arms were found in a dumpster on oct 24 by a woman collecting aluminum cans.The arms were identified through fingerprints and a ring given to Vicari by her father.The rest of her body was never found and the case remained unsolved for years.Then in 1995 Lemuel Prion from Utah was charged and later sentenced to death in 1999,but in 2003 the conviction was overturned and the case remains cold to this day.Prions defence team theorized a man named John Mazure was responsible for the murder.Also Diana was having an afair with her drama teacher at Pima Community College.The teachers name is Robert Encila who had a fiance whos name has been withheld from the public.Dianas car was found abandoned near a house in escrow beloning to the fiances mother.This case may or may not be connected to the 1992/1992 Phoenix murders of Angela Brosso and Melanie Bernas.I decided to start this thread to gather new intell and help solve this 20 year old murder once and for all.Dianas sister Debbie Vicari worked hard for years trying to track down the killer,but passed away in 2009 from complications from surgery.I hope that we the public can come together and help solve this case. http://caselaw.findl...rt/1291382.html

Maybe severing the arm is a part of an unpopular drama? If I think about it, why was the ring not taken? Why would the criminal want the public know about Diana's tragedy? The criminal might be a rapist but not a thief. But I guess what matters the most is what kind of tool the criminal used for severing Diana's arm.

• 4 weeks later...

Its funny how Robert Encila has remained silent and has not released a public statement. His name is all over reports about this case and his fiance's mothers house is where Diana's car was found at. Nathan Storm said Diana and Robert would go there to that house to party.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Ok so Bryan Patrick Miller was arrested in the Phoenix canal murders of Angela Brosso and Melanie Bernas but the question is was he responsible for Diana's which happened a couple hours south of Phoenix in Tuscon just weeks before Brossos on 10-24-92?

• 4 weeks later...

Some excerpt from the record of her murder... consider that Prion now is innocent.

"¶ 2 Diana Vicari was at the Tucson Community Center at about midnight Thursday, October 22, 1992.   Her car was found near La Osa Street the following Monday.   There had been a party in that area the previous Thursday night.   Vicari's car had been parked there since early Friday morning.   On Saturday, October 24, 1992, her severed arms were found wrapped in plastic bags in a dumpster.   Evidence indicated the arms had been severed from the body after death.   The medical examiner testified that in her opinion two different instruments were used to sever the arms.   She referenced the probability of a heavy knife for the bones and a sharp serrated knife for the flesh.   There was no physical evidence identifying Prion as her killer.

¶ 3 In August 1993, the police showed photographs of Vicari and Prion to Troy Olson, an employee of the New Orleans nightclub/bar in Tucson.   According to the police, at that time Olson recognized Vicari but not Prion.   About seventeen months later, in January 1995, Olson saw photographs of Vicari and Prion on the front cover of the Tucson Weekly.   Olson contacted the police and then made a positive identification of Prion as the man who was with Vicari in the New Orleans the night of October 22, 1992.

¶ 4 Olson testified at trial that Vicari introduced Prion to him.   Vicari's intent, according to Olson, was to attend a party later that evening.   She asked Olson to meet her at the party.   Vicari was to obtain the address of the party from Prion, return to the New Orleans, and leave the address for Olson.   She did not return to the bar."

- See more at: http://caselaw.findlaw.com/az-supreme-court/1291382.html#sthash.KTsq0mpV.dpuf

Edited by WildFlower30

Do you have access to the police report? You can request it from the department and usually they will give it to you (though you have to pay per page - usually a dollar). If you get that police report you will learn a lot more and can provide us with more info that we couldn't find already through a Google search.

Do you have access to the police report? You can request it from the department and usually they will give it to you (though you have to pay per page - usually a dollar). If you get that police report you will learn a lot more and can provide us with more info that we couldn't find already through a Google search.

Id have to check with the Tuscon police department. One thing I wanted to mention is that Diana's last surviving sister Angela Vicari told me it was a Detective Miller in charge of the investigation. Unfortunately I heard that Diana's father died recently and in recent years Diana's mother, older sister, brother and now the father have all passed away.

I would contact the Tuscon Cold Case squad and I believe if you request they will send you a copy of the police report if you pay by money order. It will be a large document and you will have to pay per-page. Very limited info will be in it because there are things that need to be kept under wraps.

Edited by Lucas North-justiceseeker
  • Like 1

Yeah I'm sure a lot of the report would be redacted. What a sad case :(

I mean, just from the little bit I have read, it seems the love triangle is the more probable answer to her death than a random attacker. Did they find any DNA or fingerprints - anything really - on her arms that would point to her killer?

What interests me is that the person who murdered her went to great lengths to make sure it would be difficult to identify her. I believe this is because if she was identified it would be investigated whether or not the murderer was someone in her inner circle of close lovers/friends/associates.

I wonder, did the fiancée know about Diana? If so, when did she find out her man was having an affair?

Edited by WildFlower30

• 2 months later...

Id still like some people with info on Encila, the only publicly named suspect outside of Prion, to come on the forum and tell us about him and his behavior.

• 2 months later...

@avicari i remember Diana. She was friends with my older sister as well as myself. i was living with my sister when this ungodly act occurred. First of all, i am so sorry to hear about your family deaths and unclosure. Second, i remember my dad calling me asking if we had heard what happened to Di. Of course, i had no idea at the time. What i remember is i was at the moshtoberfest party and she was walking up to the door when i was leaving. She said to tell my sister that she would be back and that her car broke down down the way and that this guy was giving her a ride real quick. She never said where she was going. I asked if she was ok and she said smiled and said "i will be". I said ok and she turned to walk back to a truck. I had never seen this truck before and it was extremely dark so honestly i cannot remember anything about the description of it other than it was an old pick up, going off of todays styles, it was an 80s model. The man driving was in the shadows in the drivers seat. I couldnt see anything about him. My dad told me her arms were found in the dumpster behind my parents music store. I dont know if the truck detail will help but thats all i seen and know. Good luck in your matter and i wish you the very best.

• 2 months later...

To: Lucas North-justiceseeker - - (I 'thought' I'd replied - but maybe my verification of registration didn't take) To advise you that I know who Robert Encila is. He used to be the Music/Drama Director at the church I belong to in Tucson, AZ. (Also had his business, Studio Connections, there.) A few months ago he left his current jobs in Tucson and went, supposedly, on a sabbatical with his teenage daughter - to the Manila in the Philippines where he is from. His wife, Ginny, remained in Tucson. - - Robert was engaged to Judi Hartley at the time of Diana's death. It doesn't appear that Robert had any children with Judi. ( Aliases: Judi S Spencer Judi S Hartley Encila - middle name Sue) It appears Judi still lives in Tucson. - - Robert Encila's Website can be found here - - http://www.robertencila.com/#!

I 'thought' I'd replied - but maybe my verification of registration didn't taken

You hit the report button instead of reply.

You may be a while waiting for a response from Lucas North-justiceseeker, he hasn'the visted the site for 3 months.

• Like 1

I feel it was the bartender guy..the guy who worked at the New Orleans bar or club..I feel that his story is weak..and I feel that maybe prion and him paired up ..raped her ,then conspired in murdering her and dismembering the victim,in this case.

• 2 weeks later...

You hit the report button instead of reply.

You may be a while waiting for a response from Lucas North-justiceseeker, he hasn'the visted the site for 3 months.

Spoke too soon

• Like 1

To: Lucas North-justiceseeker - - (I 'thought' I'd replied - but maybe my verification of registration didn't take) To advise you that I know who Robert Encila is. He used to be the Music/Drama Director at the church I belong to in Tucson, AZ. (Also had his business, Studio Connections, there.) A few months ago he left his current jobs in Tucson and went, supposedly, on a sabbatical with his teenage daughter - to the Manila in the Philippines where he is from. His wife, Ginny, remained in Tucson. - - Robert was engaged to Judi Hartley at the time of Diana's death. It doesn't appear that Robert had any children with Judi. ( Aliases: Judi S Spencer Judi S Hartley Encila - middle name Sue) It appears Judi still lives in Tucson. - - Robert Encila's Website can be found here - - http://www.robertencila.com/#!

Encila is a creepy guy what type of man goes to the Philippines? Anyway do you know about Judy's mom? It was Judy's moms house where Diana's car was discovered.

Write the producers of COLD JUSTIcE..(TNT NETWORK)..tell them about this case..

Can you provide an address or email adddress?

It really sounds to me that Hattons behavior (shiftiness, constant reassurance of innocence) seems awful guilty to me. Sounds like maybe he participated in the murder or at least he knows some major details of the crime.

• 2 months later...

Can you provide an address or email adddress?

It really sounds to me that Hattons behavior (shiftiness, constant reassurance of innocence) seems awful guilty to me. Sounds like maybe he participated in the murder or at least he knows some major details of the crime.

I agree Greg is a great suspect but like I asked before: whats the 411 on Mazure and Encila? There has to be a link here.