Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Boy died due to faith healer parents

Render

Two parents have avoided jail after admitting they let their son, 16, die in horrible agony because they chose to 'pray away' his burst appendix and refused to take him to the hospital.

Russel and Brandi Bellew, age 39 and 36, of Creswell, Oregon, pleaded guilty to criminally negligent homicide on Tuesday and were sentenced to five years probation after reaching a plea deal with prosecutors.

The couple, who had seven children before Austin Sprout's death, are members of the General Assembly and the Church of the First Born in nearby Pleasant Hill, which shuns modern medicine and teaches parishioners that faith healing and prayer will cure disease.

It was also revealed on Tuesday that Austin died in December from a burst appendix after he suffered from appendicitis for a week, the Eugene Register Guard reported.

Appendicitis, the inflammation of the appendix, often results in excruciating abdominal pain that requires heavy doses of morphine to keep under control. However, it can be easily treated with routine surgery that removes the appendix.

Left untreated, the inflamed organ can burst and spew bile into the body, which results in dangerous infections that often prove deadly.

The couple were charged with second-degree manslaughter after authorities learned the Austin's death could have been prevented if his parents had simple taken him to the hospital.

Austin's father, Anthony, died in 2007 of sepsis, after he refused to seek treatment for an infected injury to his leg.

His mother, Brandi, later married Russel Bellew -- who was also widowed.

At the time of Austin's death, his uncle Shawn Sprout, defended the congregation's practice of faith healing.

'We trust in God for everything. We trusted him to take care of our illnesses and heal us,' he told KVAL.

Social workers removed the other six children, who range in age from infant to 17, from the Bellews home.

It is unclear whether they will be returned to their parents, though a case worker said she believes they are 'safe' in the home.

http://www.dailymail...ut-16-dies.html

Edited by Render

At least the 6 other kids have been removed even though the case worker needs a good slap.

• Like 2

Sometimes I think parenting should require a licence.

......and Religions should come with a Health Warning!

• Like 7

This is so sad on so many levels.

Morons like this are responsible for more than the death of a child...

• Like 4

As a parent, I have trouble gettng my head around this sort of thing. I'm actually having trouble finding words to put how I feel about it all... just sad, as Junior Chubb said.

• Like 1

As a parent, I have trouble gettng my head around this sort of thing. I'm actually having trouble finding words to put how I feel about it all... just sad, as Junior Chubb said.

I don't have kids, but if I had known that the son of my neighbours was that sick while his parents did nothing sensible, I would have taken him from them and then go to a hospital.

Of course I would have first asked the father to forgive me my two sins.. one was taking his son away, two was his painful face.

• Like 4

My gosh, this is horrible. I feel that if I had a child who was sick that I would do everything in my power to help make them better; this includes taking them to the hospital. Though knowing me, that'd be my first choice.

Edited by Hasina
  • Like 2

This is just so absurd and the outcome so sad.

Kinda reminds me of that old joke about the guy who kept praying to God to help him win the lotto. God's response "my son, help me out here - buy a ticket".

In this case one could say the parents prayed for their son's healing and God's response could just as easily have been "my children, help me out here - take him to the hospital".

Except I don't feel like laughing and it's no joking matter :cry:

• Like 3

My gosh, this is horrible. I feel that if I had a child who was sick that I would do everything in my power to help make them better; this includes taking them to the hospital. Though knowing me, that'd be my first choice.

Just so, there's plenty of time to pray in the waiting room.

• Like 3

Something changes in you when you become a parent. Well, for me it did anyway... to the point that I would move the earth to save my child from pain. If that meant turning my back on my religion/community/husband/God I would. If there is a higher power (God or otherwise) I really don't think he/she/it/they would approve of letting your offspring suffer like that.

So yes basically what Hasina and libstaK have said.

Hello to a fellow Melbournite *waves to libstaK" :st Not much on tv tonight is there? Better being here

Something changes in you when you become a parent.

This is so true, I would have scoffed at this comment before becoming a parent myself.

What a fool I was, and still am because unfortunately that is not what changes...

Yes I would have scoffed too. I'm a very different person to what I was before children. I like how my mind has changed and developed, and my capacity for love.

Changes to my body after having two children... not so much.

• Like 3

Something changes in you when you become a parent. Well, for me it did anyway... to the point that I would move the earth to save my child from pain. If that meant turning my back on my religion/community/husband/God I would. If there is a higher power (God or otherwise) I really don't think he/she/it/they would approve of letting your offspring suffer like that.

So yes basically what Hasina and libstaK have said.

Hello to a fellow Melbournite *waves to libstaK" :st Not much on tv tonight is there? Better being here

And hi back at ya :st . A warm welcome to UM :yes: .

Too true, the tube is pretty blah. Having said that I have CNN droning on in the background sometimes I catch a sound bite that's interesting or amusing but I prefer the wit of the :yes: Umers for entertainment most often - definitely better on here.

I think these people should have done jail time for this. I notice they had both lost spouses due to infections which could have been treated. They are idiots. I can't imagine not taking my child to the hospital. I took my dog to the vet just last week. She is all better and I am glad I took her in. I know Pagans who spurn Medical science and go for natural cures, usually with iffy results. It is one thing to do that as an adult, but a child should be given proper medical care.

While I generally don't have a problem with 'people of deep faith' ... I do believe that God gave us a brain so we could could learn to take care of ourselves through medicine...

How many family members have to die before these idiots come to their senses?

How any parent can sit through their child screaming in agony and do nothing about it is beyond me.

These people should have their children removed to a 'normal' home and be nuetered for the good of society.

• Like 5

They avoided jail...for their neglect to have a child treated in a life / death situation.? ... I have heard of parents get jail time for less........This sends a message to all parents..neglection ( in critical circumstances ) is fine IF you claim it is a religious purpose..We don't care for the body count., you will go free...

I could not sit and listen to any of my children cry in agony...I would be up at the ER in a flash..

Edited by Beckys_Mom
  • Like 4

If anything I am OVER-protective when it comes to my boys, I couldn't let them lie there in pain hoping God would take away their suffering.

Regardless of their religious beliefs, at some point you would hope common sense would kick in and over-ride their stupidity.

They don't deserve to have kids.

• Like 1

Even if it wasn't my kid, I couldn't stand by and watch him die.

• Like 2

Surely this is manslaughter? It's another reason I have rejected religion because I had a friend who was told to come off her medication for her failing liver - 'god will heal you you just have to believe it enough', she was told. She was dead within the year, and died in a very poorly state, very jaundiced and weak - but still praising god! :rolleyes: FFS!

• Like 1