Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Planes Of The Future Could Fly On Sawdust

ThePhantomFlanFlinger

Passenger jets could be chomping on straw or flying on fuel extracted from sawdust in coming years as the search widens for cleaner alternatives to kerosene, French scientists say.

The "ProBio3" project, started in early July and co-financed by a French government economic stimulus program, aims to use traditional horse-bedding materials to develop a new kind of biofuel that can be used in a 50/50 blend alongside kerosene.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2012/09/19/us-biofuels-planes-idUKBRE88I0W220120919?rpc=401&feedType=RSS&feedName=environmentNews&rpc=401

• Like 1

Where there`s muck there`s money . Farmers will control the price . Government will control the tax . Poor old soul buying the ticket will bear the brunt .

• Like 2

Solent Green isn't people?

• Like 1

Planes Of The Future Could Fly On Sawdust

My Carpentry Plane created saw dust today, the circle is now complete...

Edited by Junior Chubb
  • Like 2

I wonder if there's enough waste sawdust and straw to satisfy the amount needed for production of all that biofuel?

If not, then this could lead to accelerated deforestation, which we don't need.

Don't get me wrong, It's good that they're putting an effort in cleaner and more efficient fuels, but they need to make sure they account for the whole picture.

• Like 1

Sounds good to me, maybe they can come clean the building sites i work on so i don't have to end up sweeping the saw dust up every day. Everyone wins!

• Like 2

If you've got a spare continent to devote to growing it, sure...

well we could use desert areas for algae plantations....